Your Least Favourite Letter

GabrielleDuVent

During the course of writing French, I realised that I hate the cursive letter z. Not the capital, but the lowercase. It's the bane of my writing. In an otherwise okay-looking sea of letters, my z sits there awkwardly like a slightly overweight and tall child who always catches ball with his face (we all know that kid in the class. I was him).

As those who have taken French or speak it may very well know, the letter z appears everywhere in French. Not so much in English. I am seriously considering using tutoyer for the rest of my life at the risk of being rude to everybody. (Okay, clearly this is unrealistic. But still, I hate z's that much.)

Do you have such a letter, that you just can't get right, no matter how much you seem to practise? I've managed to overcome my fear of Ts, but z's seem to defeat me at every turn.

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié.

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GabrielleDuVent

• flyingfox

• pmhudepo

• mrcharlie

In English- upper case M. When I write in in a "proper way", it looks more like an H. When I just enlarge the lower case "m", it looks out of place.

For some reason, the cursive letter "Z" reminds me of a perched black hawk.

http://ibc.lynxeds.com/files/pictures/Common_Black_Hawk_SV_MP_copy.jpg

I just write them as the sprite wills it.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Kudos to capital M. Whereas W lends itself to intricate loops and curls, M refuses to cooperate, even though it's essentially the same letter upside down.

Captial K and P are annoying too, as I have trouble finishing them up prettily in one stroke without lifting my pen off the paper. >:[

Reallly troublesome when I'm trying to speed-write.

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

M - because I have at least four ways to write it and I always change it. Sometimes in the same text. Not good...

Greetings,

Michael

I hate capital J, which I make correctly once in a blue moon, and capital I is also not good but I use it more and get it correct more often, so J wins.

Quite a lot of people seem to hate M. I'd probably have joined the group, save that my name starts with M and therefore I've had a lot of practice.

z is still defeating me. If I name my child Ezra (which I won't, as it reminds me of Ezra Pound), I'm screwed.

Quite a lot of people seem to hate M. I'd probably have joined the group, save that my name starts with M and therefore I've had a lot of practice.

z is still defeating me. If I name my child Ezra (which I won't, as it reminds me of Ezra Pound), I'm screwed.

Best not name your child after Zsa Zsa Gabor then. :) That's twice the trouble.

I do have trouble writing words with a double l in them, as the two letters never seem to match up. There's two of the blighters in my surname.

Also the cursive J. What's all that about? I moaned about that letter in Infant 2 as it looks nothing like a J.

fpn_1371975995__j.jpg

Long reign the House of Belmont.

Vendome... you have a J in your name...

"That's not a J!"

"It's in your name, it's best to practise."

"There are NO J'S IN MY NAME!"

:P

This is the J in my name. :)

Not that cursive monstrosity. Forsooth, it pains thine eye to ere behold it.

Long reign the House of Belmont.

Cursive b has always given me trouble (I tend to start it the wrong way round), while my dislike for the form of cursive f and z means that they too often fail.

My maiden name started with the dreaded "M", then I got married. Hooray to my wonderful hubby for a "m-free" last name! :thumbup:

my name starts with M and therefore I've had a lot of practice.

same here, but unfortunately this has lead me to the point where I've had too much practice. And now I can't decide which of them deserves the label "favorite child" and which ones should be cast out...

Ah, those M&Ms have always been a curse...

Greetings,

Michael

In the French Cursive thread, there is a wonderful tutorial by Olivier78860, Hardyb simplified alphabet and HDoug post sharing a video on how cursive is taught in France .

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/243889-french-cursive/

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

The capital W bugs the heck out of me. I can never get the two humps in proportion. The lowercase x used to annoy me, too, as did the capital K, until I started writing them differently.

"One's greatness is defined not only by their deeds, but also by the pen they carry."

My YouTube Channel: InkyJoys

Inky Meanderings: my pen, paper and ink blog

Best Non-FP user line ever: "Is that a calligraphy pen?"

Minuscule italic r.

Should have the graceful form of an italic n, but my writing tends to spring rather than branch - or spring too low - and as I generally write at speed and join up as many letters as I can, the join often ends up looking rather ungainly, as though the letter weren't quite sure what form it should take.

As for z, no crows here. The italic z, with its horizontal sine curves, is a pleasure to write. Need to learn Polish!

How can you hate a letter?

I went to the 'oo to see the 'ebra. There I met a woman who played the 'ither while people around her took a snoo'e.

And the they went to 'an'ibar or was it Mo'ambique to have a good time.

With the latest movie trends, we would be watching 'ombie movies. Which is the alpha and 'eta of intellectual films today. And think of all those 'aftig women who don't want ot be called - "the other word" (no not full figured :lol: :lol: ). And what about Richard Strauss' Thus Spake 'arathustra? And the Japanes car the "Ma'da" and and can you imagine a Greek God name 'eus?

OK, I'll stop now. I think I'll go lay down and catch some 's. :P :P :P

Before I go, are there any Kanji characters that you want to speak ill of??

BTW, what's you 'IP code in the States??

May all your daze be filled with the right wordz!

Your friend - Gloucesterman!

Perhaps you could substitute the letters "xu" as in the the Chinese language the "xu" can sound similar to the "z".

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Before I go, are there any Kanji characters that you want to speak ill of??

fpn_1372026074__kanji.jpg

Kanji... erm...

apart from characters with lots of strokes such as 魍魎, I don't like writing characters with 隹 or the right side of 租.

I still don't like z. I'd write it, but I don't like it. It looks like it's about to trip and fall over.