Two bottles of P.W. Akkerman ink arrived by post this afternoon. One bottle is called “Shocking Blue;” the other, “Het Zwarte Pad,” or The Black Path. P.W. Akkerman is a boutique pen store located in Den Haag, the Netherlands. The ink and bottle is exclusive to them.

I have wanted at least one Akkerman ink bottle to add to my collection of encre for years now, but I was put off by the high cost, especially for shipping. Each 150ml bottle runs 13.64 euro or about $18 each with an additional $30 to transport both bottles to the United States.

What changed my mind?

Well, look at the design of the bottle, to begin with. It’s beautiful; a marvel of industrial design. The rounded base is actually made up of eight beveled sides. You see that blue marble-like ball in the bottle neck? That ball keeps the ink inside the neck when it is made to stand straight. The ball effectively creates a small reservoir in the neck ready for dipping.

Look at the cap on the center bottle. It has a tiny air-pistol built into the cap which acts as a sort of ventilator. That little needle nose helps decrease any internal air pressure that invariably occurs every time you turn the cap closed. It also prevents the ink from spouting like a geyser when reopened. The label, calligraphy, and artwork on the bottle itself as well as on the box it comes in is just old world charming. It is these details that distinguish this brand of fountain pen ink and make it easier for me to justify the high cost of shipping.

What made me feel better about spending the $65 for two bottles, including shipping, was knowing that the design is unique to P.W. Akkerman. To the best of my knowledge, you cannot find these bottles made by any other pen company. And while $65 may seem like a lot of money, the bottles are big, 150ml or 5 fluid oz. Even so, 30 bucks is still a lot of money, but cheaper than swimming the Atlantic for it, I guess. In the end, pride in my Dutch heritage was the tipping point.

There is so much pleasure in writing with a fountain pen, and for the past few years I have begun to collect fountain pen inks in the same way that wine connoisseurs collect bottles of vin. The P.W. Akkerman fountain pen ink bottle is really a smart set up as far as ink bottles go. The only other bottle design that comes close to being as much fun to use and to look at are the 4.5 oz Noodler’s bottles with the eyedropper tops.

I’m impressed with how the folks at P.W. Akkerman packed the bottles. They actually opened each box before hand, wrapped the bottle in a tiny plastic bag and then added Styrofoam peanuts to the box before putting it inside the larger cardboard box meant for shipping. It was thoughtful and actually quite a brilliant idea to pack this way because if they hadn’t taken this extra step, the bottle would certainly have bounced around during its flight to New York City and could have broken as a result. Attention to detail is the mark of excellence in my book.

Thought I’d share this fountain pen ink moment with you in the hope that you take as much delight in the art of writing as I do.

post-88692-0-48012800-1371857913_thumb.jpg

post-88692-0-82128600-1371857952_thumb.jpg

Edited by britteach

Petrus Van Amstel

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• britteach

• The Good Captain

• ethernautrix

• Earthdawn

This is an older design bottle, designed by mr Andreas D Copier. He was working for a glass-factory "Leerdam" in the Netherlands. The bottle was designed for Gimborn inks, a well known Dutch ink-company mid 20th century.

I think the design is from around 1936. I think it fits in the Jugendstil and Bauhaus tradition.

Bottles were made in several sizes. The Akkerman-bottle is specially made for them (has their name on it) probably by Leerdam and is one of the larger types.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

How long did it take for your ink to reach you? I have an order in the mail right now...HP

The sky IS falling. C. Little

I don't recall anyone at FPN ever saying that they were disappointed in any aspect of buying these inks. The service is good and the product great.

Postal cost is really the only thing that would cause hesitation; I got over that by finding some other folk here in OZ who wanted the ink, and we bought between us. That brought the cost down to 'very reasonable'. Akkerman have cheaper rates for postage (per bottle) the more you buy (up to about 15 bottles, from memory).

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

shipping time for me was 10 days from PayPal transaction to my door.

love the bottles.. And I love the inks...

Same here on the time and love. (Which is, if I recall correctly, a song by Laura Nyro.)

3 bottles shipped to the US is $80....

shipping time for me was 10 days from PayPal transaction to my door.

love the bottles.. And I love the inks...

And it's worth pointing out that these are 150ml bottles. So it's really like 9 regular bottles for $80, which is a great deal.

Some friends have 'collected' a bottle of the No 24 from The Hague for me. As they go pretty regularly and don't seem to mind the trip to the shop, I can save a few quid by not paying carriage. We are going over with them next April so I plan to stock up at Akkerman.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

How long did it take for your ink to reach you? I have an order in the mail right now...HP

Hello Hennypenny:

I placed my order on 15 June and it arrived to NYC yesterday, 21 June.

Petrus Van Amstel

This is an older design bottle, designed by mr Andreas D Copier. He was working for a glass-factory "Leerdam" in the Netherlands. The bottle was designed for Gimborn inks, a well known Dutch ink-company mid 20th century.

I think the design is from around 1936. I think it fits in the Jugendstil and Bauhaus tradition.

Bottles were made in several sizes. The Akkerman-bottle is specially made for them (has their name on it) probably by Leerdam and is one of the larger types.

D.ick

Thanks so much for this information. I value these kind of details. It's what makes being a FPN reader worthwhile.

Petrus Van Amstel

how do you order these from australia?

My two best writers.

http://s2.postimg.org/v3a1772ft/M1000_Black_L_R.jpg..........http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/1217/85960889.png

.........I call this one Günter. ......... I call this one Michael Clarke Duncan.

On facebook, someone posted an old advertisement for Waterman ink which showed this same bottle design. If I weren't limited to my phone, I would take the trouble to post the ad here. If no one else has done so, I'll try to remember to post it on Monday.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

how do you order these from australia?

Email Paul direct and ask him any ordering questions you have. He is quick to respond and knows all about the purchase and shipping of the inks.

You can use paypal as well if you have it. Makes it really easy.

"P.W. Akkerman Den Haag" <paulrutte@vulpennen.nl>

I love my Akkerman ink!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Here's the Waterman encre ad I mentioned:

fpn_1372115498__waterman_ink_bottle.jpg

This is really amazing. A wonderful piece of artwork. So simple.

The Good Captain

Looking at the date right upper the year is a bit blurred but I think I make it 1936.....

About the same as the Copier bottle....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

This is really amazing. A wonderful piece of artwork. So simple.

But it's a black!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

But it's a black!

Merde!

The Good Captain