Cute Pens For Us Girls!

GabrielleDuVent

I dislike "cute" and have no interest in pens that are marketed and targeted specifically at women; same as I disdain those pens, such as modern Conway Stewarts, that have ranges exclusively named after men. Why do they do that?

I don't do pink, fluffy, delicate, little animals, sparkle, filigree, cartoon, cutesy, flowery, lightweight, bling or those horrendous pens with vertigo-inducing swirly bright clashing colour-mixed barrels and those groaning with gilt and metallic trimmings.

I like cool, classic, muted, understated, neutral, sophisticated, timeless and minimal.

But hey, that's just one woman's opinion. Down with stereotypes! Viva la difference! :)

Verba volant, scripta manent

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• Plume145

• inkstainedruth

• dorothynotgale

That is the main reason that I've collected a lot more SE Asian pens. They seem to make pens which are, if not directly marketed toward women, are at least small enough that I don't feel like gnawing my own hand off after writing with them for an hour.

I have a set of Hero 184 slimline pens coming from evil-bay (pic below). I've found that the 184 and 188 (both now out of production) just fit my hand a lot better and even though they're metal, they're not as heavy as a lot of vintage resin/rubber pens. They're also on the short end of 'full sized' and fit my hand

Those are awesome! It's too bad they're discontinued, do you know if anyone is still selling them? Or any modern production pens like them?

The new Pilot Metropolitan pens are attractive and fun, the Leopard and the Tiger are my favorites (not such a fan of the others, but YMMV).

hey guys, just reviving the thread to say I did end up buying that Cath Kidston pen above! It's a really pretty pen and definitely qualifies as girly in both definitions used in this thread - girly as in smaller/slim pens and girly as in decorative, especially using motifs and colors traditionally marketed to women (florals and birds and light, bright colors). It also writes much nicer than I expected - all in all a great value little pen!

If you want to know more about it or want to see more pictures than on their site, let me know - I took some when I was bored tonight waiting somewhere, I just can't be bothered to upload them unless I know someone actually wants to see them :P Just try to be quick about it because I'd only keep them for a wee bit :)

That's adorable (but I'm all out of pen money this month :( ).

Sailor Pro Gear in White and Rose Gold

Pic courtesy: http://thefountainpens.com/

http://www.estilograficas.org/imagenes/examen/Sailor-Professional-Gear-White-with-Rose-Gold/Sailor-Professional-Gear-White-with-Rose-Gold-1.jpg

http://www.estilograficas.org/imagenes/examen/Sailor-Professional-Gear-White-with-Rose-Gold/Sailor-Professional-Gear-White-with-Rose-Gold-3.jpg

Those are awesome! It's too bad they're discontinued, do you know if anyone is still selling them? Or any modern production pens like them?

The new Pilot Metropolitan pens are attractive and fun, the Leopard and the Tiger are my favorites (not such a fan of the others, but YMMV).

I just keep an eye out on ebay. I know that HisNibs used to carry some of them, but now that they're out of production (and have been out of production since about 2007 I think), you basically have to just keep an eye out for NOS/ebay type things. The 184s i pictured in my previous post are pretty nice pens, they have a 14k nib and are fairly well engineered for the price point (about $40-65USD each).

I want to see, please.

Sorry, when I uploaded these from my camera i realized they were a bit blurry. But it's late and I thought I'd best post these now rather than wait for morning to take better ones, because tomorrow's shaping up to be quite a long day and I might forget :P

Ah well, here you go:

fpn_1383440550__cath_kidston_capped.jpg

fpn_1383440565__cath_kidston_open.jpg

fpn_1383440578__cath_kidston_pen_nib.jpg

In other news, I actually just bought the Kaweco/Fimo Fantasie as well (I really must be stopped :P) I was at a craft show today and the Fimo/Staedtler booth had a big stack of these. I inquire as to price, all the while bracing myself to hear something crazy like 30% above the jetpens price, because basically everything except fruit and veg is crazy expensive in Greece. But after making sure to warn me it's a fountain pen ('we don't have any of the regular kind left in stock, they were all bought up') the guy quotes a price of 17 euros (or $23 and change, vs $54.50 on jetpens). Wheee! I didn't think about it too hard, lol. Got two sample packs of air-dry clay as a freebie too :)

I haven't yet attempted the actual decorating part, but it does look easy enough so long as you have a way to ensure the clay gets spread into a sheet that's an even thickness all over. The marbling technique itself looks stupid easy, even a monkey could do it *she says, before proceeding to make a right mess of it* :P

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

Plume, I've never seen a pen like this. Maybe another reason to hang out in Greece--Enjoy!

Edited by Aquinata

"Ravens play with lost time."

Plume, I've never seen a pen like this. Maybe another reason to hang out in Greece--Enjoy!

oh, I didn't get this locally. It's that Cath Kidston pen I mentioned up thread, and I got it from their online shop. If I could get that kind of thing locally I'd be a happy camper, but I hardly ever see any fountain pens for sale around here - and of the ones I do see most are in the $300-$800 bracket and for the most part styled as your classic status object: lots of gleaming executive black marketed with words like 'understated', 'classic', 'timeless', 'sophisitcated' and other terms to connote 'boring, but in a good way' :P

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

• 2 months later...

Well, I have two Parker Sonnet which can be considered feminine: Red Lacquer GT and Pink Gold GT. Although I don't think that something need to be floral or sparkling to be feminine, also its dependent from the person too. Like myself, I have a certain style range, what I like, and what not, and occasionally there are the mood factors too. Although I like floral patterns, would not necessary carry or wear those all day. Back to the fountain pens, I decided to collect the rest of the Parker Feminine Collection, because I like Parker pens, for my style they have a perfect design (Urban's, Sonnet's and Duofold's), but would not say no to a Waterman Elegance Ivory. The posted Montblanc Princess Grace, its very feminine but still in the elegant range.

My girlfriend has this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/New-Kangaroo-Slim-Series-Grip-Art-Fine-nib-Gold-Black-Fountain-Pen-/00/s/NDQ2WDU5MQ==/z/xgQAAOxy9eVRKxzg/$(KGrHqF,!jEFDqg+gbZMBRK)zgFgh!~~60_3.JPG

...but she is not really into pink. It is a very slim pen.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Kangaroo-Slim-Series-Grip-Art-Fine-nib-Gold-Black-Fountain-Pen-/171014718450?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d14583f2

She also has a Baoer 517 in red/black marble - a slight Visconti look - not really that small but kind of fancy.

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

+1. That, the Marlene Dietrich one, the above linked Audrey Hepburn ones... really like all of them.

I have VERY small hands, and find that huge pens are more difficult and give me wrist and hand fatigue faster than smaller, more petite pens.

That is the main reason that I've collected a lot more SE Asian pens. They seem to make pens which are, if not directly marketed toward women, are at least small enough that I don't feel like gnawing my own hand off after writing with them for an hour.

I have a set of Hero 184 slimline pens coming from evil-bay (pic below). I've found that the 184 and 188 (both now out of production) just fit my hand a lot better and even though they're metal, they're not as heavy as a lot of vintage resin/rubber pens. They're also on the short end of 'full sized' and fit my hand better.

http://img03.taobaocdn.com/imgextra/i3/1048753472/T2BiJjXyRaXXXXXXXX_!!1048753472.jpg

Wow, these are gorgeous -- especially the two on the left and the burgundy one on the far right -- I think because the dark colored barrel shows off the overlay better). What are they? (Oh, great, look at me -- just blew the pen budget on a Pelikan 400 brown tortoise on Ebay, and I'm *already* drooling over pens again.... :wallbash:)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I've only just got into FP use and collecting, so don't have a ton of experience yet but I totally got what the OP was asking. I agree entirely. I have been looking at all kinds of pens since my first purchase (Lamy Safari, bought because it was cheap, not because I found it pleasing. It's definitely not super comfortable for me), and just don't like most of what I've seen yet.

I looked forward to seeing what pictures and suggestions would pour in from such a large community ... but was surprised to see so many people instead take issue with the question. One would have thought that since one obviously had nothing to share with regards to the OP's question ... that one would have moved on to a more interesting topic, instead of trying so hard to convince the OP it was a ludicrous suggestion. I admit, after reading the first page of comments ... I stopped reading and zipped along looking for the pictures, posted by those who got the question.

I love the pictures that have been shared! There are some beautiful pens out there, which gives me hope. Some of those are now officially on my "must have" list for the future. Many thanks to those who posted pictures! :D

I've only just got into FP use and collecting, so don't have a ton of experience yet but I totally got what the OP was asking. I agree entirely. I have been looking at all kinds of pens since my first purchase (Lamy Safari, bought because it was cheap, not because I found it pleasing. It's definitely not super comfortable for me), and just don't like most of what I've seen yet.

I looked forward to seeing what pictures and suggestions would pour in from such a large community ... but was surprised to see so many people instead take issue with the question. One would have thought that since one obviously had nothing to share with regards to the OP's question ... that one would have moved on to a more interesting topic, instead of trying so hard to convince the OP it was a ludicrous suggestion. I admit, after reading the first page of comments ... I stopped reading and zipped along looking for the pictures, posted by those who got the question.

I love the pictures that have been shared! There are some beautiful pens out there, which gives me hope. Some of those are now officially on my "must have" list for the future. Many thanks to those who posted pictures! :D

:W2FPN:

We would love to see what you end up buying.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Yeah, it was pretty surprising, you definitely aren't the only one who was taken aback with the rampant intolerance.

One option that's been released after this thread slowed down are different versions of the Pilot Metropolitan, my favorites are the White Tiger and Purple Leopard, here's one store that I know carries them and has pictures (also Goulets and I think Amazon has them): http://www.isellpens.com/SearchResults.asp?searching=Y&sort=13&search=pilot+metropolitan&show=20&page=1

How about these?

http://pensindia.com/123-379-thickbox/new-pilot-prera-vivid-pink-color-fine-nib-pen.jpg

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/88/90/e9/8890e927deac31135f5839c8c9d7552e.jpg

http://cdn3.volusion.com/zecn7.jeyr6/v/vspfiles/photos/PN91133-4.jpg?1386834037

http://static.jetpens.com/images/a/000/024/24734.jpg

http://www.penherostore.com/catalog/MokinaPinkFP.jpg

http://static1.jetpens.com/images/a/000/005/5918.jpg

http://img.rakuten.com/PIC/39457462/0/1/500/39457462.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to throw in my personal preferences and thoughts here.

I am a frilly girly-girl. I LOVE pink. When I was little I would only wear something if it had pink on it. I have grown to love many other colors but I will always love pink.

I have a pale pink chiffon petticoat with fluffy ruffles. I like to wear it with my 50's black dress. It looks amazing. I don't have any other girlfriends who own a petticoat, but they all admire mine. (I am trying to encourage the revival of the petticoat. My 7 year old daughter has 7 of them already! She takes after her mommy.) ;)

So as the epitome of girly-girl, I have to say that I would LOVE to see more good quality fountain pens that have a more whimsical and delicate style because that fits my personality.

Now there is nothing wrong with any of the other pens out there. They are all great and have many different qualities. And I have found several pens I really like. But I am saying it would be nice to see a line of quality affordable fountain pens that tailored to more whimsical styles (male and/or female). It would also be nice to see more pastel colored pens. (I do love pastels, they remind me of spring!)

I recognize I am on the extreme end of loving all things pretty. My husband asked me once, "Does everything you use/own/buy have to be pretty?" My answer was to stare at him, as though something were wrong. YES! Beauty is so important to me. Not the oversexed version the media sells. The true beauty that comes in a color you love, or your favorite scent, or within the delicate fold of a flower's petals, or in sitting in a comfortable place surrounded by what feeds your soul.

Beauty is everywhere. The ocean is beautiful, wild, untamed. The mountains are rugged and yet glorious. Sunsets exuding colors we don't have a name for. In the eyes of a stranger. In the smile of my best friend. In the hugs of my children. Beauty is vital to my life. And I just happen to like a certain type of beauty that I call "pretty."

I think it comes down to the old adage, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Because in truth, we all love and long for beauty in whatever form we think beauty exists. And no one else gets to say if that is right or wrong. It is inherent inside us to be drawn to that which we admire and that which fills our hearts with joy. So let beauty and creativity nourish our hearts and souls! :wub:

*Edited to add: I would LOVE to see something like the Audrey Hepburn pen in an affordable model (and it would have to be able to use a converter.) That would make me very happy. :)

Edited by Tessy Moon

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

I am a frilly girly-girl. I LOVE pink. When I was little I would only wear something if it had pink on it. I have grown to love many other colors but I will always love pink.

I have a pale pink chiffon petticoat with fluffy ruffles. I like to wear it with my 50's black dress. It looks amazing. I don't have any other girlfriends who own a petticoat, but they all admire mine. (I am trying to encourage the revival of the petticoat. My 7 year old daughter has 7 of them already! She takes after her mommy.) ;)

So as the epitome of girly-girl, I have to say that I would LOVE to see more good quality fountain pens that have a more whimsical and delicate style because that fits my personality.

Now there is nothing wrong with any of the other pens out there. They are all great and have many different qualities. And I have found several pens I really like. But I am saying it would be nice to see a line of quality affordable fountain pens that tailored to more whimsical styles (male and/or female). It would also be nice to see more pastel colored pens. (I do love pastels, they remind me of spring!)

I recognize I am on the extreme end of loving all things pretty. My husband asked me once, "Does everything you use/own/buy have to be pretty?" My answer was to stare at him, as though something were wrong. YES! Beauty is so important to me. Not the oversexed version the media sells. The true beauty that comes in a color you love, or your favorite scent, or within the delicate fold of a flower's petals, or in sitting in a comfortable place surrounded by what feeds your soul.

Beauty is everywhere. The ocean is beautiful, wild, untamed. The mountains are rugged and yet glorious. Sunsets exuding colors we don't have a name for. In the eyes of a stranger. In the smile of my best friend. In the hugs of my children. Beauty is vital to my life. And I just happen to like a certain type of beauty that I call "pretty."

I think it comes down to the old adage, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Because in truth, we all love and long for beauty in whatever form we think beauty exists. And no one else gets to say if that is right or wrong. It is inherent inside us to be drawn to that which we admire and that which fills our hearts with joy. So let beauty and creativity nourish our hearts and souls! :wub:

*Edited to add: I would LOVE to see something like the Audrey Hepburn pen in an affordable model (and it would have to be able to use a converter.) That would make me very happy. :)

So nicely said.

What nice turn for this thread to have taken. :) FWIW, I've never been a particularly "girly" girl--was kind of a tomboy growing up; will wear dresses/skirts when necessary, but it's not my preference--but I've always LOVED pink. One of my favorite movie scenes ever is from Steel Magnolias where Shelby insists that, "My *colors* are blush and bashful," and her mother responds with, "Your *colors* are pink and pink." I love that scene. LOL

Currently carrying a pink Sheaffer NoNonsense wherever I go.

Edited by Moondrop

"We have only one thing to give up. Our dominion. We don't own the world. We're not kings yet. Not gods. Can we give that up? Too precious, all that control? Too tempting, being a god?"

I collect nail polish and I would love to see an option to make nailpolish into a pen. There is nail polish jewelry, so why not nail polish pens?

Something like this would work well:

http://the-swatchaholic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/picture-polish-cosmos-swatch_01.jpg

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6184/6077022954_6f8e1c1fe4_z.jpg (<- a multichrome nail polish)

There is a duochrome Waterman Kultur and I am tempted to get it.

http://the-swatchaholic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/crowstoes-triple-black-diamond-anny-582-crazy-shot-swatch-crows-toes_01.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3QwOQ9KkdW8/TDuDVzZqb4I/AAAAAAAAG_U/vJOvOX6m_CU/s1600/acrosstheuniverse.jpg

http://aleenails.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/dsc03261.jpg

http://www.purepens.co.uk/acatalog/CreaperPinkPanther.jpg

I love these even though i'm male. The size is smaller than most pens, nice and slim.

Well, not so long ago pink was considered a colour for boys and blue was for girls.