Refilling Preppy's Or Plaisirs

GabrielleDuVent

I just can't seem to refill preppy/plaisir without making a mess on my fingers. I use converters on them, and I pull up the ink through the nib into the converter. What happens is that the ink doesn't get sucked in all the way, so there are residual ink that just sits in the feed:

http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w614/GabrielleduVent/preppy_zps60fadbf3.jpg

It'd take a while for the ink to drip down, and while writing, the ink flows out and makes a nice mess on my fingertips. It's not that big of a deal, but I'm starting to get a little irritated. Anybody have any tips on how to properly avoid this problem? (I currently don't have a syringe on hand, so using it would be a bit difficult.)

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié.

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GabrielleDuVent

• pokermon

• dcwaites

• soum

Perhaps you could just remove the convertor, dip it into the ink, fill it and put it back into the pen. Of course, you'd need to be gentle or you could easily wear the convertor out.

When using a converter, I suck up most of the way, then take the pen out of the ink, hold it nib up, and finish turning the converter knob. This will suck any excess ink from the collector into the converter.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I think that is a design flaw with the collector. Don't think changing inks or anything will solve your problem. I would just refill from the converter and dipping that instead of the nib.

Pen blog of current inventory

Enjoy life, and keep on writing!

-Tommy

Probably best as davidW says - don't fill it all the way.

I used to refill the Pilot Rollerball pens with the liquid ink using a vacuum method and had the same issue with ink left in the gill-like feed.

This was solved by a brisk flicking motion in order to send the ink from the 'gills' back into the reservoir. i.e. holding the nib end and accelerating the pen using ones forearm and stopping abruptly (that probably doesn't make any sense - sorry). It is basically using the stored energy in the mass of the moving ink once in motion and then by stopping, the ink keeps on going and a portion of it goes back into the reservoir.

Once or twice I bound some string to the nib end and went outside and whirled the pen round above my head - this was really effective and completely clears the ink from the gills - fortunately I never broke any neighbours windows! :D

Take it steady!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Perfection may be transient, but then so is everything.', MC

'All that a great power has to do to destroy itself is persist in trying to do the impossible.', Stephen Vizinczey

Probably best as davidW says - don't fill it all the way.

I used to refill the Pilot Rollerball pens with the liquid ink using a vacuum method and had the same issue with ink left in the gill-like feed.

This was solved by a brisk flicking motion in order to send the ink from the 'gills' back into the reservoir. i.e. holding the nib end and accelerating the pen using ones forearm and stopping abruptly (that probably doesn't make any sense - sorry). It is basically using the stored energy in the mass of the moving ink once in motion and then by stopping, the ink keeps on going and a portion of it goes back into the reservoir.

Once or twice I bound some string to the nib end and went outside and whirled the pen round above my head - this was really effective and completely clears the ink from the gills - fortunately I never broke any neighbours windows! :D

Take it steady!

As much as I'd love to whirl my pens above my head like a cowboy, I doubt I can be a*sed to step outside every time I fill a pen. I salute you for your industriousness! I'd probably go "meh, I'll just get my fingers inky."

When using a converter, I suck up most of the way, then take the pen out of the ink, hold it nib up, and finish turning the converter knob. This will suck any excess ink from the collector into the converter.

I think I'll do that. Thanks for the tip!

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié.

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

I used Preppys (with the felt highlighting tiip) as highlighters for the three years I was in seminary. They were converted to eyedropper fillers and that worked well to keep the ink off my fingers, plus they hold a bunch of ink. I have no idea if this conversion would or would not work on a nibbed Preppy. It is worth a try I suppose. You need an o-ring of similar size to that used for Sheaffer Touchdown repairs and a bit of silicon grease to make the conversion.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I was told by Platinum Japan that it is not recommended to use converter with Platinum Plasir and Preppy due to the design of the feed. They said that it wasn't designed with a converter in mind. You can use converter with their other pens though.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• 4 weeks later...

I've used convertors with Preppy pens for a while without any problem. It helps that I found cheap converters on Ebay that fit Platinum pens (the regular Platinum converters cost as much as, if not more than, the Preppys themselves). To avoid the leaking that can happen, I remove the converter and fill it with a syringe. Sometimes, I use this method simply to refill empty Platinum cartridges. However, the converter has one main advantage: it's easier to prime the feed when changing ink colors. The converter can also help when rinsing out the pen though a ear bulb is much faster.

You can also remove the nib or felt tip of the pen, and use a syringe to fill it through the hole where the feed is put in. By doing so, I can fill my Preppy eyedropper highlighter as well as my converter Plaisir while avoiding all the mess and fuss.

I've used convertors with Preppy pens for a while without any problem. It helps that I found cheap converters on Ebay that fit Platinum pens (the regular Platinum converters cost as much as, if not more than, the Preppys themselves). To avoid the leaking that can happen, I remove the converter and fill it with a syringe. Sometimes, I use this method simply to refill empty Platinum cartridges. However, the converter has one main advantage: it's easier to prime the feed when changing ink colors. The converter can also help when rinsing out the pen though a ear bulb is much faster.

Nobody of you use the 3 drop trick? full refill - unscrew for three drops - turn nib up and screw back in full load position.