Indian Pen Resource

brahmam

Would you be able to post a close picture of the nib ? I might be able to help to get it restored if not severly damaged.

Hi

Thanks , I have added the picture

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• brahmam

• hari317

• de_pen_dent

• soum

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got my pilot 742 relased by Mumbai customs after i paid the bribe... have you had topay customs for any FPs bought???

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

Got my pilot 742 relased by Mumbai customs after i paid the bribe... have you had topay customs for any FPs bought???

Oh yes. I call it the unofficial customs duty. Apart from Marathi, it is the other universal language all Government officials seem to understand in Mumbai.

The first time, I had to learn how to get it released (thanks to a very friendly and helpful fellow FPNer) and also had to pay the dues. Then, I found someone who helps me get these cleared and the rate is much more reasonable. Only had to use him once so far, BTW.

Which country did you order your 742 from? Was it just the pen or did your order have other items (like ink, etc)? And was it shipped through post/EMS or a courier service? These things seem to matter.

I've noticed the parcels are held in customs if they come from US or Europe - mostly the US. Never faced issues with parcels from Malaysia and Japan. Size of the parcel also seems to matter. Larger the parcel, more the chances of it getting held up.

Also, it seems to happen frequently if the parcel is sent through EMS/postal service (equivalent of our Speed Post). Parcels coming through Fedex, DHL, UPS, etc. seem to get cleared fine. I had to pay Octroi for a Fedex parcel from the US, but I got a proper receipt for it.

So I take all these factors into consideration while ordering online. Worth paying a little more if the merchant is willing to use a courier channel rather than the postal service.

Cheers

Sudhir

EDIT: Edited for language.

Edited by Sudhir

Fountain pen geek, bibliophile, aspiring audiophile.

Love Single Malt, Coffee, Beer.

Corporate slave by day.

Pursuing Inner Peace.

Slytherin, INTJ.

Follow me on Instagram @thepenperson

Follow me on Twitter @thepenperson

thanks sudhir a lesson well learnt in dealing with customs.

it was from rakuten japan mktplace, incidentally my first purchase from rakuten and shipped by EMS the parcel had just the pilot742pen i was summoned to airport post office the box was opened in front of me and they were surprised to see only a single pen while i was haggling with the clerk the senior came out and said u pay the duty or wee keep the pen etc.. the japanese seller had mentioned the actual price on the cover and not marked it as gift as per my request. i tried reasoning with him that its a custom74 etc he went and met his senior sitting inside the cabin came back n didnt budge saying u pay the bribe or pay the 45% duty on the price marked on the cover. i paid the bribe 2000 thru the clearing agent and he told me he could have helped me save moolah have taken his contacts for future use.

Edited by maverink

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

i thought the customs department in Indian post sends a demand notice for collection of any goods evaluated for duty….i had to pay a few times.

well sridar i was asked to bring invoice etc my pen was cleared as nil duty once i paid the bribe the custom appraiser with a blade erased the value written by the sender thats my experience

my experience reflects the current state of affairs.if u r in the airport area post lunch period you can check see the modus operandi in action just go to the speedpost office opp sahara star on the first floor.

i did get my demand for nil duty along with my parcel. they donot hand over the parcel once u pay the cash. the postman delivers the parcel. sad thing is that they try to extort based on the value put on the parcel and i said im not paying anything more than 2k they made me wait and hour to see if would like to yield to their demands, the seccond time he called me in the senior sitting in the cabin came out n tried to influence me to pay an higher amount its better to use the services of clearing agents who are roaming in the premises they collect the bribe on the behalf of the customs n postwallahs.

Edited by maverink

And all indian pens

Got sheaffer NOS pen for INR150 along with pelican inks from manoj pen mart he has montblanc inks, and few pelicans M200, M205 etc at good prices wish my wallet was loaded.he had the NOS pelicans with gold nibs in Bold .

And all indian pens

Any one know of some good pen shops in & around Delhi apart from Pen Corner in Nehru Place where one can get vintage pens?

Any one know of some good pen shops in & around Delhi apart from Pen Corner in Nehru Place where one can get vintage pens?

You can contact a fellow FPN member Penpradeep. He is based out of Daryaganj and he sells and repairs vintage pens.

"It's simple to be happy but difficult to be simple"

You can contact a fellow FPN member Penpradeep. He is based out of Daryaganj and he sells and repairs vintage pens.

Have you ever bought a Pen from him? What are the rates like?

Have you ever bought a Pen from him? What are the rates like?

I have brought items from him

If you're based in Delhi let me know

He's requested not to disclose his prices

U can contact me I'll get u in touch with him

His prices are super good and almost wholesale :)

U can't ask for better

Dentist... Guitar player (not playing these days).... And a fountain pen user like all of you!

YA its really costly

Are u talking about PradeepPen? Please share ur experience.