Dogs And Cats And Pens... Oh My!

Luma

OMD! Puppy Cuteness Overload! And some of my favorite breeds, too! I used to raise red Dobermans, decades ago, and I love the gentleness and intelligence of the breed. My black male had no use whatsoever for people wearing hats, but other than that, none of the dogs had a mean bone in their body :-).

The King Charles Spainel, of course, melts my heart <3. I love that breed. English Springer Spaniels are my fave spaniels, but a little large for our household, so if I ever have another spaniel, it will be an English Cocker or a King Charles. You just can't beat the beauty and the heart-melting faces of a King Charles Spaniel!

As for Pugs, how can anyone resist them? That picture of old man Dodo with his reindeer antlers on has to be one of the sweetest things I've ever seen. Old dogs are the best. I've had many in my years live to be ripe old ages and breathe their last in my arms at home. Always so sad when they leave us. Dogs just do NOT live long enough, imho!

Which is why puppies are so wonderful! They bring back joy and a youthful exuberance to a household that nothing else can match, imho (unless you're a cat person--which I'm not--in which case, kittens have the same effect :-) ).

Speaking of puppies, we're due to have a single pup born from my 4 lb. longhair Chihuahua in about a week or so. Teddy, while still a pup, got to her when she was in heat, the naughty boy! Baby will be born C-section, and we'll either keep it for ourselves, or give it to a good friend or family members. It's never hard to place a toy breed mutt/designer dog with family or friends :-).

Tom, I spent the entirety of the '80s working in veterinarians' offices and/or for animal shelters. Lots of duties, some wonderful, and some very unpleasant, but every one of them instructive. It may be why I have so many dogs, now, after seeing what often happens with the unwanted ones.....

OK, I've yammered on way too much. Suffice it to say that my husband and I live for each other, our dogs, and my children :-).

"In the end, only kindness matters."

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• inkstainedruth

• DrDebG

• IrishEyes

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

attachicon.gif MingmingLovesHair.jpg

One of my cats has gotten into the habit of clawing her way up my clothes in order to furiously lick my hair. I do not understand why.

LOL! Whatever the reason, that sure is a cute photo of you both :-).

"In the end, only kindness matters."

Very handsome indeed!

I grew up with a very feisty black pug. They are wonderful friends and guardians. They have the attitude of a great wolfhound with about 1/10th the size.

~ DrPenfection:

Zuji thanks you for the compliment.

He keeps himself fairly clean, almost feline in his habits.

Not at all feisty...more of a soft teddy bear in temperament.

He does love to sprint. Running at a fast clip lets out whatever's inside him.

The ultimate pushover, he likes everyone, but is somewhat diffident when other dogs show him affection.

The ongoing mystery of his life is what the possible joy of fountain pens could be when his squeaker toys are such great fun.

Tom

As for Pugs, how can anyone resist them? That picture of old man Dodo with his reindeer antlers on has to be one of the sweetest things I've ever seen. Old dogs are the best. I've had many in my years live to be ripe old ages and breathe their last in my arms at home. Always so sad when they leave us. Dogs just do NOT live long enough, imho!

Which is why puppies are so wonderful! They bring back joy and a youthful exuberance to a household that nothing else can match, imho (unless you're a cat person--which I'm not--in which case, kittens have the same effect :-) ).

Tom, I spent the entirety of the '80s working in veterinarians' offices and/or for animal shelters. Lots of duties, some wonderful, and some very unpleasant, but every one of them instructive. It may be why I have so many dogs, now, after seeing what often happens with the unwanted ones.....

~ IrishEyes:

With your substantial experience you know far better than I about dogs and their issues.

Working during high school for veterinary clinic taught much about responsibility, while simultaneously developing a deep love for cats and dogs.

At that time I never imagined how complete my life would one day be because of the presence of a small, cuddly Pug who remains odorless, silent, and non-shedding.

He's a character, but ever in silence, letting his wagging tail and large eyes communicate his feelings.

What he's not is an author, at least with fountain pens. That's left to yours truly, as Zuji has other worlds to conquer.

Tom K.

fpn_1519078953__peri_close_up_1_of_1.jpg

This is the late, but always great, Laughing Pirouette (aka "Peri"). She was with us for almost 10 years - until January 30, 2018. After a very short but intense battle with cardiac cancer (yes, very rare!) and the resulting congestive heart failure, she passed on. We are broken hearted since she was such an amazing dog! I don't know of very many dogs that play flash-light tag, purr like a cat and hug like a person. We miss her greatly.

Like our beautiful Wally (see previous post), Peri was a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Cavs are truly amazing dogs. We have "collected" Cavaliers almost like we collect FPs - well not quite. :D

Edited by DrPenfection

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

~ farmdogfan:

I'd never seen this thread before.

Tonight while enjoying the many fine posts here, I noticed several featuring your Farmdogs.

Suddenly it clicked. Why hadn't I realized it before?

By “farmdog” in your on-line name you mean “gårdshund”, which I've seen in Scandinavia.

Your photography in Fountain Pen Network is as good is it gets, so the images of your farmdogs have lovely bokeh and superb composition.

I'm so pleased to know that your home is blessed with several farmdogs.

My Pug puppy, Zuji, would send his greetings, if he could. He's friendly and easygoing.

Thank you for posting such excellent dog portraits.

Tom K.

Thank you for your kind words, and i´m sure Freja and Malou would love to play with Zuji.

Thank you for your kind words, and i´m sure Freja and Malou would love to play with Zuji.

~ Zuji is surprised and happy to hear about Freja and Malou.

If he were on Sjælland, he'd love to go running with them.

Tom K.

fpn_1519213380__surprised_pug.jpg

Surprised Pug

Edited by Tom Kellie

This is the late, but always great, Laughing Pirouette (aka "Peri"). She was with us for almost 10 years - until January 30, 2018. After a very short but intense battle with cardiac cancer (yes, very rare!) and the resulting congestive heart failure, she passed on. We are broken hearted since she was such an amazing dog! I don't know of very many dogs that play flash-light tag, purr like a cat and hug like a person. We miss her greatly.

Like our beautiful Wally (see previous post), Peri was a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Cavs are truly amazing dogs. We have "collected" Cavaliers almost like we collect FPs - well not quite. :D

~ DrPenfection:

I'm sorry to hear about your loss only a few weeks ago.

Peri sounds like a remarkable friend.

Cavaliers are such affectionate, lovely dogs.

Peri's portrait is soulful...nice.

Tom K.

~ DrPenfection:

I'm sorry to hear about your loss only a few weeks ago.

Peri sounds like a remarkable friend.

Cavaliers are such affectionate, lovely dogs.

Peri's portrait is soulful...nice.

Tom K.

Thank you. She was a remarkable friend! Thank you for your kind thoughts.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

OMD! Puppy Cuteness Overload! And some of my favorite breeds, too! I used to raise red Dobermans, decades ago, and I love the gentleness and intelligence of the breed. My black male had no use whatsoever for people wearing hats, but other than that, none of the dogs had a mean bone in their body :-).

Couldn't agree more. Contrary to the rather mean image they are given in the movies etc, Dobermans are like little kids at heart and all they want is to be with their family (preferably snuggling close). Their problem solving skills have always impressed me along with their alert demeanour when the situation demands it and their eagerness to please you.

We had Zander and Caesar before Cypher. I had got them when I was in my early teens and they both were with us for about 14 years. Despite their common traits, all three of my dobermans have distinctly different personalities :)

Here is a picture of Cypher. He is contemplating on new ways to get attention.

post-130101-0-22085000-1519931274_thumb.jpg

Edited by KshitijShetty

Cypher is a handsome dog and I love the way the light worked!

This is not cleatuss favorite pen. this is Cleatuss favorite pen

~ KshitijShetty:

Thank you for the portrait of Cypher.

It's interesting that Zander and Caesar have personalities all their own.

My small Pug Zuji has his own character which in certain respects is unlike other Pugs.

Every dog is an individual, which the lovely portrait emphasizes.

~ mana:

Where I work and live Instagram is one of numerous major “foreign” Web sites which have been made unavailable here.

I would have enjoyed seeing Adele.

~ FOUR X FOUR:

Ha Ha!

I can relate to that as Zuji feels likewise.

The look in Cleatus’s eye in the upper photo — cool!

Tom K.

This is Leo, his name comes from King Leonidas of Sparta, where we found him and he "adopted" us !!

D6_H_5267.jpg

~ mana:

Where I work and live Instagram is one of numerous major “foreign” Web sites which have been made unavailable here.

I would have enjoyed seeing Adele.

Tom K.

Well that is easily corrected... ;) Adele, or as we have a tendency to call her, "Her Royal Poochiness, Our Princess Adypants" is a fun one to share ones life with. She hardly ever barks or "does stupid", is always well mannered, loving and kind. There is not a shred of malice or mischief in her heart.

I actually hope at times that she would have more character... Like the kind that comes out in the winter when she gets to play in snow. She doesn't fetch, she doesn't play tug or anything else like that. Food, yes, that she loves (must be the corgi in her...).

If I believed in fate I would say that she was born on this planet to create happiness around her. She has a tendency to do that where ever we go...

Kind of funny considering that she is a rescue. She had to spend a year at a pound in Romania while she was being treated for heartworms. She survived, a friend of mine brought her to Finland and then, by some sort of miracle, our paths crossed when she was looking for a forever home. I and my fiancée could not resist her charms and soon she found her way to her new home. The change has been pretty miraculous too, she has been reborn as a more self assured doglet who seeks attention and affection from the people she trusts.

Oh yeah, she is most likely a Corman Shepherd (Corgi & German Shepherd mix), between 7-10 years of age. People mistake her for a much younger dog for some reason... :D So yeah, a not so tall normal sized dog, almost a full length Geman Shepherd body but rather stubby feet... and biiiiiig ears and heart.

fpn_1520018521__01.jpg

fpn_1520018535__02.jpg

fpn_1520018545__03.jpg

fpn_1520018555__04.jpg

fpn_1520018565__05.jpg

fpn_1520018581__06.jpg

fpn_1520018590__07.jpg

fpn_1520018601__08.jpg

fpn_1520018609__09.jpg

This is Leo, his name comes from King Leonidas of Sparta, where we found him and he "adopted" us !!

D6_H_5267.jpg

~ gmathio:

I love Leo's face!

It's great that you found one another.

Thank you for adding a handsome cat in the midst of many dogs.

Tom K.

Well that is easily corrected... ;) Adele, or as we have a tendency to call her, "Her Royal Poochiness, Our Princess Adypants" is a fun one to share ones life with. She hardly ever barks or "does stupid", is always well mannered, loving and kind. There is not a shred of malice or mischief in her heart.

I actually hope at times that she would have more character... Like the kind that comes out in the winter when she gets to play in snow. She doesn't fetch, she doesn't play tug or anything else like that. Food, yes, that she loves (must be the corgi in her...).

If I believed in fate I would say that she was born on this planet to create happiness around her. She has a tendency to do that where ever we go...

Kind of funny considering that she is a rescue. She had to spend a year at a pound in Romania while she was being treated for heartworms. She survived, a friend of mine brought her to Finland and then, by some sort of miracle, our paths crossed when she was looking for a forever home. I and my fiancée could not resist her charms and soon she found her way to her new home. The change has been pretty miraculous too, she has been reborn as a more self assured doglet who seeks attention and affection from the people she trusts.

Oh yeah, she is most likely a Corman Shepherd (Corgi & German Shepherd mix), between 7-10 years of age. People mistake her for a much younger dog for some reason... :D So yeah, a not so tall normal sized dog, almost a full length Geman Shepherd body but rather stubby feet... and biiiiiig ears and heart.

~ mana:

Kiitoksia paljon!

The photo series is so full of life — truly wonderful!

The final image is so vivid, with snow flying and Adele's heart-shaped tag in motion.

Great photography!

Adele does indeed seem younger in the images.

She's like Zuji in being a non-barker.

Her perilous early years have brought her to your forever home, sharing happiness.

Even in this thread her images bring such joyousness.

Such large ears! Her eyes sparkle in the photo series.

In your signature, I like the quote by industrial designer Dieter Rams. I may write it with a pen and post it in the Montblanc Forum.

I'm also happily surprised to see that you write with a Pelikan 400NN Tortoise OF. A Pelikan 400 Tortoise OF sits on my desk as I type this.

You also write with a Lamy 99 OF and I write with a Montblanc 24 OF, and have three Parker 51 Aerometrics on the desk.

My very best wishes to you and lovely Adele.

Tom K.