Namiki Royale - Vermilion Urushi Review

Mkim

How soft is the nib. You said you can produce line variation through pressure, but does it take a lot or just a little? Anyhow, that is a beautiful pen, and so is that Paragon!!

Thanks for the compliments! What I meant to say is, the nib will flex to some degree (too much and it will start "rail road-ing" since it is not meant to be flexed). I would say light pressure than most of the modern nibs I've tried... my Danitrio flex nib is coming home soon, will compare once it arrives ;)

I'm curious about your Journals, I noticed two, one with a reddish cover and the other with a tan cover. Is the last one an Exacompta with grid, or graph, paper? I have an Exacompta sketch book with the same cover.

It is a pleasure to see someone with beautiful pens, that has great hand-writing.

Thanks again, this review is a pleasure to view.

It is my pleasure writing the review for FPN, just returning the favor to this fabulous community! The two notebooks features are 1. Quos Vadis president seires Agenda Book (the tan leather one first featured) and the sketchbook featured in the last photo is a 2. Clairefontaine A5 size notebook. The writing sample is actually written on 3. Muji Japanese notebook.

Out of the three I would highly recommend the Quos Vadis/Rhodia products. Yes they are the most expensive but the paper quality is mythical...

It clings on and absorbs ink like some of the cheaper paper products but it will not feather and feels smooth to the touch like some of the more expensive paper. Perfect combination - since paper like Clairefontaine is just too smooth for my liking and ink takes forever to dry...

I hope it helped!

Edited by Mkim

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mkim

• ArchiMark

• shuuemura

• elderberry

The photo was taken with natural light near the end of the day just as the sun was going down...there wasn't too much light to work with at my place either lol. In most cases it does feel like a bit more muted red, but since its so large and red its hard to miss!

Hmmm.....well if it does usually register visually as 'muted red' as seen in your pics, then I think I'd be quite pleased with it.... :)

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Thanks, fabulous review. I've been very good and haven't bought a pen for 4 months, but you have me weakening.

Solid brass is certainly a sturdy and durable material. No worries about this pen cracking/shattering if dropped! Though I'd still prefer ebonite for it's light weight. Now where can I find a cheap Namiki Emperor...?

The dimensions are:

Cap closed: 5.8in.

Cap posted: 7in. (Although I don't recommend you posting urushi pens)

Barrel length: 4in

Barrel width: 0.5in

Let me know if you need anything else!

The Yukari Royale and Emperor, with their lined caps, are pretty much the only Urushi pens I know of which can be safely posted.

Michael,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review of a gorgeous pen....

I've been intrigued by this pen for some time from seeing it online, but your review is tempting me very much to get one!....

My one concern is about the color....to my ol' eyes, it seems like the red is not a bright fire engine or sports car red. Rather it seems to me that the red has tad bit of orange in it, such that the red is a bit softer looking, if that makes sense. Am I correct in my assessment or ?

Thanks!

Mark

Vermillon should have an orange tint.

Wow! What a super review Mkim.

I really felt you had written the review for me, satisfying all the questions I had on this pen: weight, converter and size and 'feel' comparison and, loads of photos :)

Really looking forward to your next. Thank you very much for sharing.

Pavoni

very well done review,just a little thing for me is that i'll find fine to have a picture of the nib in close up. The pen is wonderful...

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

Vermillon should have an orange tint.

Yes, indeed.....but as you can read from this paragraph on the page you reference, there's a range of colors that people call vermilion.....

The chemical formula of the pigment is HgS (mercury-II sulfide); like most mercury compounds it is toxic. Vermilion is now produced by reacting mercury with molten sulfur. Mercuric sulfides offer a range of warm hues – from bright orange-red to a duller bluish-red. Differences in hue arise via the size of the ground particles of pigment. Larger crystals produce duller and less-orange hue. It is now theorized that coarser, duller "Chinese" forms of vermilion will prove to be more permanent than the more orange "French" variety.[citation needed] It is also theorized that purification of any such pigment benefits its general stability.[citation needed] For safety reasons the use of vermilion has recently been replaced (in some applications) with cadmium red, yielding a similar range of hues, although cadmium carries severe hazards of its own.

The color vermilion is a pure chroma color,[original research?] located on the color wheel midway between orange and red.

Thanks, fabulous review. I've been very good and haven't bought a pen for 4 months, but you have me weakening.

lol glad I can be of help ;)

Wow! What a super review Mkim.

I really felt you had written the review for me, satisfying all the questions I had on this pen: weight, converter and size and 'feel' comparison and, loads of photos :)

Really looking forward to your next. Thank you very much for sharing.

Pavoni

Thanks Pavoni!

I will keep them reviews coming!

very well done review,just a little thing for me is that i'll find fine to have a picture of the nib in close up. The pen is wonderful...

lol I would have done a close up shot...but my camera is a starter SLR kit :unsure: and can't seem to get a clear zoom image of something that small...

Thanks for the review and the beautiful photos! Been dreaming of a Namiki Emperor in Vermillon Urushi for a while now but never really went for one because of the rather limited choice of nibs (and the steep price tag of course...) One day...!

Enjoy your pen in good health.

Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog

Great review and congrats on the Vermillion Namiki. You will enjoy this pen for many years to come.

I purchase mine about 3 years ago and love it! Greg Minuskin retipped the nib to a juicy stub. :D :D :D I LOVE IT!

Congrats again!!!!

John

"Churn the Butter"

Excellent detailed review.

Thank you for taking your time to do this review.

Have thought about this pen frequently but was concerned regarding size and weight especially for prolonged writing. Same reason I have been hesitant about the MB 149. I love my old style Paragons as there is ease of control with prolonged writing. After seeing your review will give this a second consideration.

Best regards

Bluesky

Great review and congrats on the Vermillion Namiki. You will enjoy this pen for many years to come.

I purchase mine about 3 years ago and love it! Greg Minuskin retipped the nib to a juicy stub. :D :D :D I LOVE IT!

Congrats again!!!!

John

Thanks John!

Oh I am absolutely in love with it! Good to hear other users are continuing to love theirs even after years of writing with it!

Now the real question is...do I need the black one :rolleyes: ... lol

Edited by Mkim

Thanks for the review and the beautiful photos! Been dreaming of a Namiki Emperor in Vermillon Urushi for a while now but never really went for one because of the rather limited choice of nibs (and the steep price tag of course...) One day...!

Thanks for the compliments Elderberry!

I've actually been eyeing your Namiki Yukari Nightline... man that thing is gorgeous!I wonder how the size compares between the Yukari and the Royale pens...

Beautiful photos and great review! I have the Black Yukari Royale and love it very much... in fact it might actually qualify as my favourite pen! Have been thinking of getting the Vermilion urushi version as well for a while but with a BB nib.

Have fun writing with your pen!

Thank you for your info about the color....very helpful....

and I'm one step ahead of you as I was looking at the black version already, since I have some concern about the red color....especially, since I can't see one in person....

Does this pen only come with M nib?....that's only option listed at nibs.com.....seems odd...

Nibs.com seems only to be able to supply the M nib, but Fountain Pen Hospital assures me that they can obtain the other nib sizes from Pilot Pen USA at Jacksonville, FL. One also has the option of sending it in to Jacksonville after purchase for a nib exchange. My Namiki Emperor is currently there getting a nib change from M to B size four years after I bought it.

Elderberry...do you have any photos that might help me size the Yukari nightline? Maybe beside a 149, paragon, or M800?

The pen continues to call me...Oh and your Pelikan sunlight is just mind boggling gorgeous! with equally mind boggling price tag ;)

Nibs.com seems only to be able to supply the M nib, but Fountain Pen Hospital assures me that they can obtain the other nib sizes from Pilot Pen USA at Jacksonville, FL. One also has the option of sending it in to Jacksonville after purchase for a nib exchange. My Namiki Emperor is currently there getting a nib change from M to B size four years after I bought it.

Thanks all the info, shuuemura....issue is that Nibs.com or Richardspens.com can also grind nib before shipping pen...so, much more convenient if one one wants nib ground like I typically do...(think cursive Italic....)....

Elderberry...do you have any photos that might help me size the Yukari nightline? Maybe beside a 149, paragon, or M800?

The pen continues to call me...Oh and your Pelikan sunlight is just mind boggling gorgeous! with equally mind boggling price tag ;)

+1 regarding Elderberry's Pelikans....those are absolutely gorgeous looking pens....

:thumbup:

The Nightline is gorgeous indeed. As is the Yozakura btw! I will make some size comparison pictures later today as I don't have any around. :)

Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog