Who Make Their Own Nibs

max dog

Seems like it's safe to add these to the list of ones that make their own:

• Wality
  • Guider - gold units
  • Romillo
  • Inoxcrom
  • Ratnamson - gold units

feels like waterman and parker should be collapsed in to one entry, as well as montblanc and cartier and platinum and nakaya

someone said in another list that Hero makes their own nibs

As far as Caran d'Ache, I think they don't make their own nibs according to this post from another thread:
https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/35178-are-todays-omas-nibs-made-by-omas/?do=findComment&comment=908055

According to my reliable source, it is correct that Caran d'Arch doesn't make nibs. Caran d'Arch uses nibs manufactured by Bock.

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• max dog

• terminal

• Harlequin

• Blade Runner

Yard O' Lead does not make their own: http://www.pentrace.net/penbase/Data_Returns/full_article.asp?id=502

"As with many fountain pen companies today, high quality gold nibs are sourced from one of the big manufacturers in Germany..."[/size]

So here's an update...

• Waterman / Parker
  • Dupont
  • Platinum / Nakaya
  • Hakase
  • Aurora
  • Ancora
  • Lamy
  • Sailor
  • Pilot
  • Montblanc / Cartier
  • Pelikan
  • Visconti - select models
  • Wality
  • Guider - gold units
  • Romillo
  • Inoxcrom
  • Ratnamson - gold units

I believe both Nakaya and Platinum nibs are made by Nakata, and all these companies are under one umbrella. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think Nakaya nibs are labelled as Nakata, but Nakata is not a brand. Nakata is the original founder of the Nakaya company. Nakaya became Platinum. Then a spin-off company re-named Nakaya came about.

Not sure if the two companies are under one umbrella legally, but I do believe they share a lot of talent / parts / etc.

Brands that only use outsourced nibs and outsourced convertor filling mechanisms and concentrate only on fancy exteriors yet charge the same amount as brands that make their own nibs and integral filling mechanisms, just do not sit well with me. They give me the feeling of glorified kit pens designed to cash in on the luxury niche market without the capabilities of a genuine pen maker.

In a world where outsourcing is the order of the day, it seems OK to me to let makers do what they are good at.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I've recall having seen several articles indicating that Delta are making their 'Fusion' nibs in house. It is mentioned on the Chatterley Pens site and by Glenn Marcus at essentiallypens.com.

I've recall having seen several articles indicating that Delta are making their 'Fusion' nibs in house. It is mentioned on the Chatterley Pens site and by Glenn Marcus at essentiallypens.com.

Oh interesting, maybe they fall under the same category as Visconti then.

Who actually made the nib is so far down my list of concerns when it comes to fountain pens that I need a passport and go through customs to find it.

Edited by jar

Yard O' Lead does not make their own: http://www.pentrace.net/penbase/Data_Returns/full_article.asp?id=502

"As with many fountain pen companies today, high quality gold nibs are sourced from one of the big manufacturers in Germany..."[/size]

So here's an update...

• Waterman / Parker
  • Dupont
  • Platinum / Nakaya
  • Hakase
  • Aurora
  • Ancora
  • Lamy
  • Sailor
  • Pilot
  • Montblanc / Cartier
  • Pelikan
  • Visconti - select models
  • Wality
  • Guider - gold units
  • Romillo
  • Inoxcrom
  • Ratnamson - gold units

Hakase use Pilot nibs.

Atleast some Dupont nibs have been made by Bock.

http://www.kultampult.de/bitverlag/kultampult/kult-artikel/kult.asp?nr=507140

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Who actually made the nib is so far down my list of concerns when it comes to fountain pens that I need a passport and go through customs to find it.

I got a chuckle out of this.

When I survey all my pens, I've got to say that I can't find a correlation between how much I like the pen and who made the nib. For me, the interest is mostly academic...

...although I can't help but feel a tinge of disappointment when I find out a Visconti I enjoy greatly has a Bock or something. I'm trying to figure out where those feelings come from. It's provenance I guess mostly. I know that getting a nib from Bock and then carefully fine-tuning it results in a pen that I wouldn't be able to detect was different from any in-house nib.

I guess the problem for me is essentially the idea that I can(could) get exactly the same nib on a TWSBI as I can on a Visconti. That lowers the value of the Visconti for me, because I can have a nibmeister tune a Goulet nib and get the same thing.

I have a feeling... and this may draw flames, but I have a feeling that manufacturers who still make their own nibs will retain the value better overall.

Dear terminal,

Wality have their own nib production unit at Kanpur, India.

sir, can you pls cite the source or provide a reference for this information?

Thanks!

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hakase use Pilot nibs.

Atleast some Dupont nibs have been made by Bock.

http://www.kultampult.de/bitverlag/kultampult/kult-artikel/kult.asp?nr=507140

it's like Toyota and Lexus with these guys... wonder what the high line of Sailor is called...

ok so:

• Pilot / Hakase
  • Dupont - select models

it's like Toyota and Lexus with these guys... wonder what the high line of Sailor is called...

ok so:

• Pilot / Hakase
  • Dupont - select models

Not the case like Toyota/lexus. Hakase is a diffrent and independent company from Pilot. They just buy nibs from Pilot with their Hakase logo. FWIW, They used to buy from Sailor previously. The Highline of Pilot is called Namiki. as far as i know there is no highline brand of Sailor.

I don't know why Dupont would make any of their on nibs in house. Do they have the volumes needed to make setting up a nib plant practical? I seriously doubt it.

Edited by hari317

I was under the impression Pelikan used Bock nibs. I remember seeing this article - http://www.nibs.com/Jack%20Leone%20Bock%20Article.htm

Scroll down close to the bottom. Have things changed since the writing of that article?

From the factory report visit by Rick P subsequent to the above article, it seems at least some of the nibs have been brought back to in house production.

sheaffer nibs are now made by bock and Delta isn't inhouse.

Actually, Delta's gold and plain steel nibs are outsourced, but Delta claims to produce the new "Fusion" nibs in-house, for what it's worth.

Hello

I am pretty sure that nearly each fountainpen producer had received nibs from Bock, Degussa or Mutschler. (possibly not Parker)

Kind Regards

Thomas

I was under the impression Pelikan used Bock nibs. I remember seeing this article - http://www.nibs.com/Jack%20Leone%20Bock%20Article.htm

Scroll down close to the bottom. Have things changed since the writing of that article?

As I already said above: Pelikan started to make their own again. I read somewhere here on the forum (years back) that now only the more flexible M1000 nib still is made by Bock. The smaller nibs were now made in-house.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

It's the engineer in me that make me curious who makes the nib I guess. Just because my Visconti or Faber Castell is outsourced to Bock would not affect my enjoyment of that pen at all.

It's the engineer in me that make me curious who makes the nib I guess. Just because my Visconti or Faber Castell is outsourced to Bock would not affect my enjoyment of that pen at all.

As an engineer, you set up functional specifications for a device and then look to see who can best meet those specifications. If outsourcing a part is the best solution instead of keeping manufacture of the part in-house do you outsource?