Who Make Their Own Nibs

max dog

Which manufacturers make their nibs in house. I have always been curious as I haven't seen any posts here that capture manufacturers that make their own nibs, like Montblanc, Pelikan, Pilot etc vs manufacturers who outsource their nibs.

Montblanc - in house

Pelikan - in house

Pilot - in house

What about the others?

Visconti?

Aurora?

Sailor?

Parker?

Sheaffer?

etc...

If others could share what they know, perhaps we can tabulate a list here of in-house versus out-source manufacturers.

Edited by max dog

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• max dog

• terminal

• Harlequin

• Blade Runner

At the Bock website, it lists manufacturers that out source their nibs to Bock, so I it looks like these manufacturers do not make their own nibs:

Below please find a list of companies trusting in the quality of fountain pen nibs made by Peter Bock.

Edited by max dog

It looks like Jowo of Berlin is the other big nib maker, and the following manufacturers have out sourced to Jowo:

Jowo of Berlin can be found here

From researching various sources, it appears that Jowo have supplied nibs to many of the major fine writing instrument manufacturers worldwide, namely:

Monteverde, Dani Trio, Conklin, Marlen, Waterford, Tibaldi, Signum , Libelle, Montegrappa, Stipula, Loiminchay.

At Fountain Pen Geeks site, it mentions TWSBI source their nibs from Jowo also.

Edited by max dog

The other big supplier is Schmidt.

AFAIK Cleo Skribent makes their own nibs, and also supplies to others.

But various brands make their own nibs AND outsource some. It is rumoured that the Pelikan m1000 nib is made by Bock. And that Bock for a while made more Pelikan nibs, but they took up production again themselves.

And the new Visconti Smartouch nib is reportedly made in-house.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I'm pretty sure Schmidt no longer makes nibs and has some arrangement where-in Bock makes nibs for Schmidt now?

Nakaya makes their own nibs? I have always thought they get their nibs from PLatinum?

Lamy makes its own nibs.

I know that an Indian company called Ambitious makes nibs for some Parker models ( vector and vector type nibs) , some pilots, stybe ( not heard of such brand before), Noodlers Reynolds and Camlin .

Edited by mohan

Marlen, Krone, Signé Audiard, Lepine, Elie Bleue, Omas, Stipula, Graye Tighson, Danitrio, Tibaldi, Montegrappa, Cleo, Graf and Taccia use bock nibs.

Cartier, Waterman, Dupont, Platinum, Hakase, Aurora, Ancora make their own nibs

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Aurora makes their nibs in-house, i'm sure.

I love their nibs.. i feel them unlike any others :)

Edited by Vincenz

Vincenzo

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Hakase uses pilot nibs? I Koda Adachis video( Virtu the 3rd) I have seen Hakase using Pilot nibs.

Edited by mohan

wow,i've never thought that so much brand aren't doing they're own nib....even great names as montegrappa!i'm shoked(for Conway Stewart too...)

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

Sailor and Platinum make their own nibs, and I'm pretty sure that Nakaya nibs are Platinum nibs that are finished in house at Nakaya. I understand that Delta are starting to make their own nibs too. I think Waterman makes their own nibs, I don't know about Parker, whether they still make their own or get them from their corporate sibling Waterman now. As for Sheaffer???

Sailor and Platinum make their own nibs, and I'm pretty sure that Nakaya nibs are Platinum nibs that are finished in house at Nakaya. I understand that Delta are starting to make their own nibs too. I think Waterman makes their own nibs, I don't know about Parker, whether they still make their own or get them from their corporate sibling Waterman now. As for Sheaffer???

sheaffer nibs are now made by bock and Delta isn't inhouse.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Yeah, the last Sheaffer nibs that were made here were for the Valor when it was first released, so couple of years ago at least. They was some overlap during that time period though, so it you can have two pens of the same age, one with a Bock inlaid, one with a Sheaffer inlaid.

Schmidt doesn't make nibs; they make feeds. They buy thier nibs from Bock and JoWo and wind up selling feeds and feed/nib units.

So Aurora, Sailor, Platinum, Pilot, Montblanc, Pelikan...

Oh, well of course, Lamy makes their nibs in-house.

What about Omas and Stipula?

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

So Aurora, Sailor, Platinum, Pilot, Montblanc, Pelikan...

Oh, well of course, Lamy makes their nibs in-house.

What about Omas and Stipula?

Omas and Stipula are highly customized bock nibs

Omas and Stipula are highly customized bock nibs

:( I was afraid of that

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...