The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Vintage Italian Fountain Pen: Identify Cartridge/converter Type

vintage italian alba converter type

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ser.rep

ser.rep

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:29

Hello everybody,

I recently found at an old stationery in the Genoa hinterland an Alba Duplex vintage fountain pen; it is cartridge/converter filled.

When I started maintenance actvities on it, I noticed the converter is different from any one I know.

The outlet's inner diameter is 4mm, the outer is 6mm; I am posting here an image where the cartridge outlet is compared to a standard international one:

9004520611_387a870773_b.jpg
Alba Converter di S.R.GE, su Flickr

Can anyone help me to find out if there is a contemporary converter type that can fit the old one?

Thanks a lot!

Sergio

Edited by ser.rep, 10 June 2013 - 12:12.

Fatti non foste a viver come bruti ma per seguire virtude e canoscenza

--
(Dante Alighieri - Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI)

Sponsored Content

#2 ser.rep

ser.rep

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2013 - 16:27

While waiting for answers or suggestions, I went on looking for information on the net, to solve the problem.

I understand that this cartridge format is the same of Auretta's cartridges of the seventies and now I am also sure there is no way to obtain new ones, because Aurora changed its format (that at present is Parker-like) and no one seems to produce such old cartridges.

At the end, If I would use the Alba Duplex pen, I was facing two choices:

1. clean the old cartridges - the pen's case came with two of them whose ink inside has dried – and fill them with new ink using a syringe
  2. try to adapt a converter to fit the pen.

I was not confortable with the first solution, that would have made the pen a sort of eyedropper, so I went with the second choice.

I found out a couple of possible solutions, both based on reuse of old cartridges, and since in the meantime I bought another vintage Alba Duplex, I now have 4 old cartridges, so I tested both.

First solution

As preparatory step I had to found a converter that could slide into the Alba Duplex barrel, that is unexpectedly narrow inside and it does not allow those converters with the metal sleeve covering the piston worm a bit too large, to get inside.

9153202913_60be81c1a2_z.jpg

I cut away the part of the cartridge that fits into pen's section:

9153201693_74b8517851_z.jpg

And I finally fixed it on the converter, sliding the converter mouth into the small plastic cilinder:

9155424790_1c19d443e5_z.jpg

To fix the two parts I tried three different glues: first an ordinary general purpose adhesive, that did not work; second a stronger glue, that appeared to adhere, but when I tried to ink the pen, I noticed copious ink leaks between the two joined parts of the converter; when I tried to remove it from the pen, the small plastic collar unstuck and remained inside pen's section.

At the end, I bought a poliethilene specific glue, that worked.

Second solution

The original cartridge is not an unique piece, but it is made of three parts: the body, a bottom stopper and a rather complicated manifold (hope the English term is correct), that couples the cartridge with the section:

9153185219_0ed4318ee8_z.jpg

The old cartridge manifold has two walls on the back part so that the body slips between the two.

I removed the internal one to allow a full run of the converter piston.

I grabbed another converter, with the same properties I indicated above and I removed the converter's manifold:

9153185551_3d943628a1_z.jpg

Then I fixed the converter inside cartridge manifold, using the polyethilene glue:

9153184559_62abc00885_z.jpg

This second solution seems to work better that the first one, where original converter mouth may cover pen feeder inlet, not allowing a correct ink flow – infact the pen goes into starvation after a while, forcing me to act on the converter knob to push some ink into the feeder.

I am stil testing the second solution at work: at the moment I have not had problems in ink feeding.

Sergio

--

#3 basterma

basterma

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2013 - 16:56

Interesting story of a solution. It's nice to see it explained. Thanks for posting.

#4 whych

whych

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2013 - 00:04

Have you tried the thin end of a Lamy cartridge or a Cross one?

#5 ser.rep

ser.rep

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:36

Have you tried the thin end of a Lamy cartridge or a Cross one?

Hi whych,

good suggestion. I actually tried the Lamy one without success, but I did not think about Cross: it is worth a test; I will check the shape on the net.

Also Pilot, that has a large outlet, may fit ...

Thanks, Sergio

--

#6 whych

whych

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2013 - 15:15

Forget Pilot - Like Sailor, they are straight with a large opening.

#7 jrobert6

jrobert6

Mint

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:16

Hello friends,

I'm looking to ink my "vintage" Aurora Auretta, but cannot identify cartridges or a converter that would fit. I came across this helpful post, but am at a disadvantage in that I have no empty cartridges from which to begin. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Jason

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vintage, italian, alba, converter type

Sponsored Content

|