Kaweco Sport Al Sport (High Gloss)

amantadine

I had my eye on this pen for a long while, always impressed with the excellent reviews Kaweco get, particularly for their nibs! The AL Sport arrived in a Kaweco metal tin that reminded me of my old pencil cases at school. Definitely a huge fan of the packaging!
Appearance & Design 9/10
I opted for the high-gloss finish - It looked fantastic online and in real life the pen didn't disappoint. The downside is that I know this look will not last long! The design is rather simple but effective nonetheless. The cap (which is oversized as it adds to the length of the pen when posted) has a faceted appearance that is more in keeping with the handle of a screwdriver than a pen. Nevertheless the design of the cap means the pen will not roll off my desk (rather important given that I am yet to use the included clip!). The slightly tapered section is nice to hold but for me is far too close to the nib and I find it more comfortable to hold the pen higher up. Kaweco has paid great attention to detail also - I especially like the logos you can see on the top of the cap, the nib and on the underside of the feed itself.
Construction and Quality 9/10
From the moment I unpacked this pen I was amazed by the quality and finish. The solid aluminium construction definitely suits its utilitarian design. When posted (which it does securely) the weight seems very evenly distributed, making it a balanced pen to use, very comfortable for longer writing sessions.
Weight and Dimensions 8/10
I was surprised when I first handled this pen - not its size/finish, but its weight. Despite it's solid metal construction it only weights 22g. When closed this pen comes in at 10.5 cm, however when opened (& posted) it is a respectable 13.5cm.
Nib & Performance 9/10
I have read many excellent reviews about Kaweco nibs. Needless to say this pen did not disappoint. I opted for a new ink for this pen: Diamine Blue-Black. The fine steel nib puts down a lovely wet line and so far I have not had any starting/skipping issues. No surprises with line thickness here, this being a Bock nib - the line is definitely a Western fine.
Here is a quick writing sample:
Filling System & Maintenance 8/10
There are plenty of situations where I much prefer to use cartridges. At work for example - although I do take bottled ink with me it remains rather impractical. The AL Sport uses short cartridges for me that is fine. I appreciate there needs to be compromises when designing a small pen! I say this, however, and keep thinking about my TWSBI mini - The TWSBI is of similar size (in fact the TWSBI barrel is a little shorter) and still possess an internal filling system! An piston mechanism in the Kaweco would be nice, but would also disrupt the clean unbroken lines of this pen.
Cost & Value 6/10
This pen was purchased from Cult Pens (as usual...no affiliation) for a princely sum of £58. I had always found this pen to be a little too expensive - now having owned it I understand the price a little more. To me the AL Sport is well designed, well built, and writes well. Despite this it is by no means a cheap pen and I would like to see how the Classic Sport pens (which are <£20) compare.
Conclusion = 49/60

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amantadine

• lovemy51

• terminal

• andymcc

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review :)

I've had my raw since April(also got it from cult pens who always give great service, no affiliation) and I'm pleased to say it still looks great, the only patina mine has is a micro scratch from where the cap screws on. My pen stays at home so I think the finish(or lack of one) will last, if you're rough with it I'm sure a patina of dings and dents will build faster. I plan on adding pic's to my review every few months to show the patinas development.

I also own a classic sport which I carry with my sketchbook, compared to the AL it's a much lighter pen as it's plastic but the build quality is just as good as the AL. The nibs are the same so if you like the AL I'm sure you'll like the classic :)

Edited by andymcc

Thanks for the review. I have the Classic Sport and love it to bits and would like to own an AL or AC Sport one day. However I think it's kinda overpriced, I'd rather have a couple more Classic Sports for that price. Now if only Kaweco would re-release the piston fill Sport.. :closedeyes:

The piston-fill Sport - I have long coveted these on Ebay but they are often too expensive for me. I have missed out on a couple of great deals before so I am happy keeping my eyes open for the next one!

ive never been a huge fan of the kawecos, they do not seem to have a nice enough filling mechanism or writing quality for the price, im more of a pelican man myself

K Sport is my every day jean pocket pen -i have two, but one (the burgundy) stays home... i'm afraid to scratch the body :huh: . thx for the lovely review.

just a Q: why 9 out of 10 on the nib if you like it so much...? :unsure:

K Sport is my every day jean pocket pen -i have two, but one (the burgundy) stays home... i'm afraid to scratch the body :huh: . thx for the lovely review.

just a Q: why 9 out of 10 on the nib if you like it so much...? :unsure:

Good question - I think I was comparing this nib to others in my collection. The AL Sport writes fantastically well, but isn't the best nib I've used - not sure if that is a fair way to score however!

• 5 weeks later...

Great photos and review!

I just ordered one yesterday and can´t wait.

It seems to me as a sober and beautifull tool and the fact that the nibs can be changed is excellent.

CSkagen

How come weight got 8/10? I meant to ask that when I first read this review but... I didn't.

I have a black one of these and I use it with a converter that works pretty well.

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...