Which Type Of Writing?

marcelo

Type of handwriting  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of writing you do with your fountain(s) pen(s)?

• Cursive
    • Print
    • Both
    • Print but trying to change to cursive
    • Cursive but trying to change to print

I'm curious because my interest on fountain pens brought me back to the calligraphy sheets and the intent to relearn cursive writing after 25 years of print writing (engineering school is to blame). My choice is number 4.

I also believe choice 5 is not getting a single vote, but one never knows. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-confused009.gif

What about you?

Best Regards,

Marcelo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• marcelo

• Strombomboli

• dorothynotgale

• ISW_Kaputnik

Always cursive, except on the rare occasions someone will have to read my writing and there can't be any confusion. Address on mail, or essays for school. In which case I print in all caps. But always cursive writing for personal use.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

My writing at speed has slowly devolved over the past several years into some sort of near-illegible pseudo-cursive. My pen never leaves the paper except between words, but all the distinguishable letters are print-style.

I almost always write in cursive now. I retaught myself about a year and a half ago, and I can't imagine why I stopped using it after grade school... I am able to take notes in lecture at a much faster pace, and everything looks soo much nicer. Sure print has it's place (ALL CAPS FOR ENGINEERING AND CAD PROJECTS), but I don't think I would ever print if given a choice.

Cursive. Writing in print will kill my mind.

I remember filling in a passport renewal form in block print; I came very close to having a mental breakdown by the time I finished it.

Cursive. Writing in print will kill my mind.

I remember filling in a passport renewal form in block print; I came very close to having a mental breakdown by the time I finished it.

Good one! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing016.gif

Cursive by choice. However, I have to face the fact that not everyone can read my cursive. Although I usually choose to blame that on their cursive reading skills rather than my writing skills, if the purpose is communication, then I do what I need to. I'll print if I don't know that the reader will be able to read my longhand.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Cursive, and most of that italic, unless I have to write a label on an ordner or such, or perhaps a grocery list for someone else.

Cursive is much faster than block

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I want to relearn to write nicely. Years of fast note taking has destroyed my handwriting.

I've used cursive ever since I was taught to in school (I assumed that was what everyone was supposed to do, because why else would they teach it? Apparently I assumed wrong.) and flip-flopped once (switched to print, then back to cursive) when I saw that very few people around me were writing in cursive as well but eventually decided that I just liked cursive better. I'm told every now and then that my handwriting looks nice, but legibility is another matter. In my experience it seems that older people, those who write in cursive themselves, or strangely people for whom English is a second language are better at reading cursive than the rest.

I write almost exclusive in cursive. I would print in lab books during under grad and grad school, other than that and addressing mail I prefer cursive. I shocked to hear schools stopped teaching it, and are now trying to re-institute it. I guess if it's not a keyboard students don't need it now?

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."-Jim Valvano

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."-Ronald Reagan

Depending on what I am writing -

Letter, report, 1st draft of a blog - cursive

Envelopes, heading, something I want attention paid to - cursive w/ flex occasionally italic

Notes for a presentation - large italic print

Calendar entries in my paper organizer (self designed ARC with my own pages and punched paper) colored .3mm gel print

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Cursive by choice. However, I have to face the fact that not everyone can read my cursive. Although I usually choose to blame that on their cursive reading skills rather than my writing skills,

You're a smart blamer. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-devil16.gif

Both. It depends on the pen for me, primarily the nib. With a fine I will almost always write in cursive. With a stub I often print, but sometimes do cursive. I very seldom do actual block printing, it's just too slow an time consuming

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Both, but lately I have been printing more. I am finding some people I know cannot easily or quickly read cursive anymore.

"Do you know the legend about cicadas? They say they are the souls of poets who cannot keep quiet because, when they were alive, they never wrote the poems they wanted to."

Like many I learned cursive in school but can't remember when I moved to printing. 30 years later as my FP obsession evolves I find myself sitting down and practicing cursive. I'm slow but the output looks relatively neat. My printing was never horrendous but I certainly wouldn't call it art, maybe "readable". I don't know if I will ever full adopt cursive back but it's fun play with my pens.

Bob

"The fountain pen is mightier than the ballpoint"

My Blog: www.MyPenNeedsInk.com

Like many I learned cursive in school but can't remember when I moved to printing. 30 years later as my FP obsession evolves I find myself sitting down and practicing cursive. I'm slow but the output looks relatively neat. My printing was never horrendous but I certainly wouldn't call it art, maybe "readable". I don't know if I will ever full adopt cursive back but it's fun play with my pens.

Bob

I enjoyed reading it Bob. In fact I could have written the same thing and signed Marcelo. ;)

Edited by marcelo

With general writing I write a hybrid of cursive and print, for calligraphy I write in Running Bookhand, or atleast my attempt at it, not that it looks bad, but certain letters may not be completely correct. I am of the opinion that its more important to have your handwriting be legible than subscribe to any one script, so I focus my energies in that direction than anything else.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

Heck if I know. Wish I did.

Any tips on telling wth it is that I'm writing?

All I can tell is it's fugly :D

Edited by Plume145

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.