The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Which Type Of Writing?

cursive print writing handwriting

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Poll: Type of handwriting (212 member(s) have cast votes)

Which type of writing you do with your fountain(s) pen(s)?

1. Cursive (94 votes [44.34%])

Percentage of vote: 44.34%

2. Print (17 votes [8.02%])

Percentage of vote: 8.02%

3. Both (82 votes [38.68%])

Percentage of vote: 38.68%

4. Print but trying to change to cursive (18 votes [8.49%])

Percentage of vote: 8.49%

5. Cursive but trying to change to print (1 votes [0.47%])

Percentage of vote: 0.47%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 marcelo

marcelo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2013 - 20:00

I'm curious because my interest on fountain pens brought me back to the calligraphy sheets and the intent to relearn cursive writing after 25 years of print writing (engineering school is to blame). My choice is number 4.

I also believe choice 5 is not getting a single vote, but one never knows. smiley-confused009.gif

What about you?

Best Regards,

Marcelo

Sponsored Content

#2 K. Cakes

K. Cakes

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 20:27

Always cursive, except on the rare occasions someone will have to read my writing and there can't be any confusion.  Address on mail, or essays for school. In which case I print in all caps.  But always cursive writing for personal use. 

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

#3 Hoovy

Hoovy

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2013 - 20:31

My writing at speed has slowly devolved over the past several years into some sort of near-illegible pseudo-cursive.  My pen never leaves the paper except between words, but all the distinguishable letters are print-style.

#4 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2013 - 20:34

Generally a hybrid of the two.

medium800.jpg

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#5 PensMakeMemories

PensMakeMemories

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2013 - 20:34

I almost always write in cursive now. I retaught myself about a year and a half ago, and I can't imagine why I stopped using it after grade school... I am able to take notes in lecture at a much faster pace, and everything looks soo much nicer. Sure print has it's place (ALL CAPS FOR ENGINEERING AND CAD PROJECTS), but I don't think I would ever print if given a choice.

#6 Namru

Namru

Wet Cake

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2013 - 20:53

Cursive. Writing in print will kill my mind.

I remember filling in a passport renewal form in block print; I came very close to having a mental breakdown by the time I finished it.

#7 marcelo

marcelo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2013 - 22:41

Cursive. Writing in print will kill my mind.

I remember filling in a passport renewal form in block print; I came very close to having a mental breakdown by the time I finished it.

Good one! smiley-laughing016.gif

#8 ISW_Kaputnik

ISW_Kaputnik

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2013 - 23:09

Cursive by choice.  However, I have to face the fact that not everyone can read my cursive.  Although I usually choose to blame that on their cursive reading skills rather than my writing skills, if the purpose is communication, then I do what I need to.  I'll print if I don't know that the reader will be able to read my longhand.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do." - Benjamin Franklin

#9 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2013 - 23:28

Cursive, and most of that italic, unless I have to write a label on an ordner or such, or perhaps a grocery list for someone else.

Cursive is much faster than block

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, KEEP INSIDE, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#10 RJJ

RJJ

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2013 - 23:35

I want to relearn to write nicely. Years of fast note taking has destroyed my handwriting.

#11 legume

legume

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2013 - 00:28

I've used cursive ever since I was taught to in school (I assumed that was what everyone was supposed to do, because why else would they teach it? Apparently I assumed wrong.) and flip-flopped once (switched to print, then back to cursive) when I saw that very few people around me were writing in cursive as well but eventually decided that I just liked cursive better. I'm told every now and then that my handwriting looks nice, but legibility is another matter. In my experience it seems that older people, those who write in cursive themselves, or strangely people for whom English is a second language are better at reading cursive than the rest.

#12 thedeacon

thedeacon

We are the people our parents warned us about...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2013 - 00:39

I write almost exclusive in cursive.  I would print in lab books during under grad and grad school, other than that and addressing mail I prefer cursive.  I shocked to hear schools stopped teaching it, and are now trying to re-institute it.  I guess if it's not a keyboard students don't need it now?

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."-Jim Valvano

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world.  But, the Marines don't have that problem."-Ronald Reagan

#13 Gloucesterman

Gloucesterman

Transformation Coach

• Member - Gold

• 2,339 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2013 - 00:54

Depending on what I am writing -

Letter, report, 1st draft of a blog - cursive

Envelopes, heading, something I want attention paid to - cursive w/ flex occasionally italic

Notes for a presentation - large italic print

Calendar entries in my paper organizer (self designed ARC with my own pages and punched paper) colored .3mm gel print

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

#14 marcelo

marcelo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:00

Cursive by choice.  However, I have to face the fact that not everyone can read my cursive.  Although I usually choose to blame that on their cursive reading skills rather than my writing skills,

You're a smart blamer. smiley-devil16.gif

#15 Ted A

Ted A

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:06

Both. It depends on the pen for me, primarily the nib. With a fine I will almost always write in cursive. With a stub I often print, but sometimes do cursive. I very seldom do actual block printing, it's just too slow an time consuming
To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

#16 oshizemi

oshizemi

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2013 - 18:25

Both, but lately I have been printing more. I am finding some people I know cannot easily or quickly read cursive anymore.
"Do you know the legend about cicadas? They say they are the souls of poets who cannot keep quiet because, when they were alive, they never wrote the poems they wanted to."

#17 MyPenNeedsInk

MyPenNeedsInk

Still Scrubbing His Fingers

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2013 - 18:32

Like many I learned cursive in school but can't remember when I moved to printing. 30 years later as my FP obsession evolves I find myself sitting down and practicing cursive. I'm slow but the output looks relatively neat. My printing was never horrendous but I certainly wouldn't call it art, maybe "readable".  I don't know if I will ever full adopt cursive back but it's fun play with my pens.

Bob

"The fountain pen is mightier than the ballpoint"

My Blog: www.MyPenNeedsInk.com

#18 marcelo

marcelo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2013 - 19:10

Like many I learned cursive in school but can't remember when I moved to printing. 30 years later as my FP obsession evolves I find myself sitting down and practicing cursive. I'm slow but the output looks relatively neat. My printing was never horrendous but I certainly wouldn't call it art, maybe "readable".  I don't know if I will ever full adopt cursive back but it's fun play with my pens.

Bob

I enjoyed reading it Bob. In fact I could have written the same thing and signed Marcelo.  ;)

Edited by marcelo, 06 June 2013 - 19:11.

#19 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• 1,884 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2013 - 21:43

With general writing I write a hybrid of cursive and print, for calligraphy I write in Running Bookhand, or atleast my attempt at it, not that it looks bad, but certain letters may not be completely correct. I am of the opinion that its more important to have your handwriting be legible than subscribe to any one script, so I focus my energies in that direction than anything else.
FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#20 Plume145

Plume145

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 00:29

Heck if I know. Wish I did.

Any tips on telling wth it is that I'm writing?

All I can tell is it's fugly  :D

Edited by Plume145, 07 June 2013 - 00:30.

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cursive, print, writing, handwriting

Sponsored Content

|