Field Testing The New Twsbi Notebook

inky_artist

Here are a few observations, writing samples, drawings (and some unanswered questions) made during my weekend "road test" of TWSBI's new foray into the world of paper and notebooks.

http://earnestward.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-penmens-journals-twsbi.html

[IMG]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png[/IMG]

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Caifanito

• Gloucesterman

• mbankirer

• dannystr78

Nicely done. The notebook looks like it would be a nice addition to the ever-expanding pile of paper on my desk. Thank you.

It's a nice notebook for sure. I wish it was available in hardcover though. I beat up those soft covers pretty quickly.

Great review and lovely work! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm not sure if this is yet on my Wish List... but it IS on my Watch List. ;)

~April

One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,

see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Hope they do well with it and expand the line to include other sizes and other bindings.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Excellent review. I may have to try one of these.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I emailed TWSBI a week ago to ask about the paper given the mixed reviews, but no response.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I've been writing up a storm in my TWSBI journal. I got the large blank size. I've loved working in it, but then so far I haven't been a fan of the super slick journals. To give myself a comparison, I just ordered an Apica Premium. But even if I really like the Apica, I suspect I'll still order more of the TWSBI notebooks -- there is a little shadowing but not enough to bother me, there has been no bleeding, and I like the way my pens look on the page (my fine nibs don't get spidery).

It's all going to be about personal taste, of course, but I can say that I have been really happy with my notebook. It has performed well. And since I write a lot, I appreciate being able to get the page count I do at a cheaper price than the premium notebooks.

My Pen Wraps and Sleeves for Sale Here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/DaisyFair

Thanks for the extensive review. I also like your blending of words and art.

I picked up one of these at Vanness Pens after our pen club meeting tonight. Can't wait to try it out!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That's a fine review. I bought a small and medium in grid and lined versions. I found them to be very FP ink friendly, at least with the inks I used, with very little feathering and hardly any bleed through. The lines are fairly light, so they don't interfere with the writing, and the grid was composed of dashed lines. Pretty unobstrusive. The texture was smooth, but not glass smooth like you get with some Rhodia paper. You could get a little feedback from the nib, which was fine. The notebooks come with 240 pages, which I thought was pretty generous. I don't care for Moleskines because of their thin, non-FP friendly paper, but I like these.

One con I noticed. The elastic band feels a bit loose. I'd prefer one that held the cover tighter.

Love the artwork you did in your review. :-)

Edited by wikeh2004

• 3 weeks later...

Great review...I may have to try one of these.

I liked using a Wenger leather bound journal simply because I like all things wenger/victorinox...but after I finished my last one I can't find anymore :(. This looks like it may be an adequate replacement. Thanks!

"Todo reflejo al llegar al punto final recuerda su origen" Jose Manuel Aguilera

So after receiving mine and trying it out here are my initial thoughts.

Good overall quality given the price. I bought mine for $15 from amazon. I bought the medium size with blank pages.

I would have loved for the medium size to be a bit wider....I'm kind of used to writing sonnets and in this notebook I find my self running out of space quickly. A good 1/2" or even 1/4" would have been perefect! Just a tad more without having to go with the Large size.

Paper quality is ok although I do have a few thumb streaks...apparently ink takes a tad longer to dry in this paper than my previous journals. I'm currently using a Noodlers Ahab demostrator with Noodlers Baystate blue.

Last, small detail but in the review above the notebook had the TWSBI emblem in red...I really liked that, but mine came in all black.

Not bad over all. My issues are small and I'll probably get used to it after a few days, but I thought i'd share.

Happy writings!

• 5 months later...

I just purchased the large lined TWSBI notebook directly from TWSBI on-line. I am using the notebook = as my daily journal and so far I am extremely pleased. I am using a medium Lamy 2000 tuned by Mike Masuyama and Diamine Salamander ink and the results are outstanding. Super smooth paper, absolutely no feathering, bleedthrough, or even show through. The ink shades nicely on the paper. Overall, a wonderful writing experience that I can highly recommend.

Wow, how timely :)

I literally just finished filling my twsbi journal last week. Luckily today I received my medium Leuchtturm1917. Almost identical to the twsbi. Funny Enough, the Leuchtturm fills up the small points I mentioned above about the twsbi. Just that tad much wider and I really like the hard cover.

With that said, I have nothing but praise for the twsbi notebook.