Why Do You Use A Fountain Pen?

GabrielleDuVent

616 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you use a fountain pen?

• It makes me look cool/posh/cultured.
    • I have weak writing pressure.
    • To improve penmanship.
    • Upholding tradition.
    • In the loving memory of someone close to me.
    • I'm tired of donating money to Bic/PaperMate.
    • The variety of ink colours.
    • I do calligraphy.
    • Other (list them in the forum posts!).

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GabrielleDuVent

• pajaro

• jar

• jetsam

Lovely -- filter software replaced a totally perfect word and I didn't notice it. I guess Sleeping Beauty bleeped her finger on the spinning wheel :lticaptd:

Pull out a pen-knife, (bleep) your finger, and write in blood! :wacko:

Lovely -- filter software replaced a totally perfect word and I didn't notice it. I guess Sleeping Beauty bleeped her finger on the spinning wheel :lticaptd:

So it wasn't cut? :rolleyes:

It makes me look cool/posh/cultured. (110 votes [8.74%])

I have weak writing pressure. (54 votes [4.29%])

To improve penmanship. (242 votes [19.24%])

Upholding tradition. (177 votes [14.07%])

In the loving memory of someone close to me. (27 votes [2.15%])

I'm tired of donating money to Bic/PaperMate. (85 votes [6.76%])

The variety of ink colours. (262 votes [20.83%])

I do calligraphy. (71 votes [5.64%])

Other (list them in the forum posts!). (230 votes [18.28%]

None of the above...................Fascinatin' that some folks believe they use 'em ...cause...they're Cool {Impressive Stylish}..Posh {Fancy Stylish} and Cultured {Good Taste Sophisticated}........

I write with 'em..........

Fred

Why?
- I like to use them (superior writing experience). You just can't get that out of non FP writing instruments due to the fact that...

- You can tailor the experience to your wants/needs/situation. Different pens, nibs and inks for different functional needs, moods, and for example, emotional impact.

- They are well designed and engineered pieces of craftsmanship. Well, some are, at least the pens that I use and collect, hence the following is naturally a matter of some import...

- They represent values that I support (sustainable quality goods vs. throw-away culture).

No idea any more. Probably not a good idea to depend on fountain pens any more. Some other dude here claims we need to be prepared to board Noah's Ark. President denies global warming. Storms get worse and worse. The ink will wash away.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

No idea any more. Probably not a good idea to depend on fountain pens any more. Some other dude here claims we need to be prepared to board Noah's Ark. President denies global warming. Storms get worse and worse. The ink will wash away.

Depends on the ink. Noodler's Kung Te Cheng is pretty much everything proof. I'm betting it's "President proof" as well.... :P

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 weeks later...

The only reason I'm still writing is because I have penfriends. Otherwise I won't even touch a pen. I do everything else with a computer.

At first I used gel pens, but I didn't like how they look and how fast they run out!

So I asked dad if he has a FP and to my surprise he said he has a vintage Parker pen along with a bottle of vintage Quink.

He let me play with them and since then I got hooked on FP :)

Anyway to answer your question:

1. Ink. This is the main reason.

I can choose whatever ink I like depending on my mood or topic I am discussing.
If I want to talk about something serious I use vintage inks (R&K Scabiosa is amazing).

With gel pens I can only use black ones and they don't even look good.

2. Ergonomics

I have carpal tunnel syndrome from computer use and writing with cheap pens make my wrist pain worse.

3. To improve penmanship

My handwriting was never good, partly due to my incorrect pen grip, but years of not writing made it a horrible mess.

I am still trying to correct my pen grip with FP, in turn to improve my handwriting.

I wish I had learnt writing with FP at school....then I wouldn't be writing with the wrong grip all these years...

The main reason why I use a fountain pen is because a fountain pen is the only way to use the ink I prefer to use, which is Mrs. Stewart's Concentrated Liquid Bluing.

Paige Paigen

Gemma Seymour, Founder & Designer, Paige Paigen

Daily use pens & ink: TWSBI ECO-T EF, TWSBI ECO 1.1 mm stub italic, Mrs. Stewart's Concentrated Liquid Bluing

Use a permanent ink, then. I do.

Paige Paigen

Gemma Seymour, Founder & Designer, Paige Paigen

Daily use pens & ink: TWSBI ECO-T EF, TWSBI ECO 1.1 mm stub italic, Mrs. Stewart's Concentrated Liquid Bluing

I started with pens to improve my handwriting, then got interested in the pens themselves, and the multiplicity of experiences while writing with them.

I like chickens, and I like eggs: which came first is irrelevant.

Use a permanent ink, then. I do.

A Sharpie will do. Or a box of them.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

My handwriting is better when I use a fountain pen. I don't know why--maybe a fountain pen needs more control which translates into better-formed letters?--but there it is. My handwriting is barely legible at best, so I'm good with anything that helps.

Of course if making my handwriting better was the only reason I used a fountain pen, I'd only need one. *opens desk drawer to see five pens and seven bottles of ink* Okay, maybe it's not the only reason.

1. To improve my handwriting, which was incomprehensible, and painful. I still don't think of my handwriting as nice, but at least it's legible, and it no longer hurts.

2. I eventually realized I love seeing certain colours.

3. Whichever pen helps me get that precise colour, comfortably. After many, many attempts and almost at the point giving up, a Pelikan 75 revived Sailor Souten.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell