The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Summit Nib Questions

nibs stub italic vintage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AAN

AAN

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 16:02

I have a Summit s160 with a 14k nib that writes superbly. It always starts first time, never skips, has a lovely sound and tactile feedback from the paper and writes with what I would describe as a mediumto fine italic/stubbish line.
Neither nib nor feed has anything to describe the nib other than "Summit 14k Gold".

My questions are:
Has this nib been reground or did Summit produce a stock nib fitting this description?
Are Summit nibs easily interchangeable?

The latter question because the pen is in good condition except for the fact that the 'bung' is missing from the end of the barrel which makes me wary of carrying it around for fear of any stray ink sliding down the barrel and into my jacket pocket. If nibs can be easily swapped I could look out for another Summit and swap nibs.

Any information would be most gratefully received.

Attached Images

• image.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 carlc

carlc

Just fitting in.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 16:33

You need to either PM Northlodge on FPN or go to www.summit.ch944.net - that's his website and you can contact him through there.

carl

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles

#3 northlodge

northlodge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:13

Hi AAN

My questions are:
Has this nib been reground or did Summit produce a stock nib fitting this description?
Are Summit nibs easily interchangeable?

It seems probable that Summit had the on site capability to produce nibs. (I also have evidence that they bought in nibs from Birmingham pre-1930). Whilst there are some interesting nib markings (Autovac, Cub, etc) the majority of early pens carried 'Warranted' nibs, the majority of later ones carry 'Summit' nibs.  Although not marked as such, they come in a range of sizes, widths, etc.  Whilst hard to make out you example I suspect it may have been modified post-sale.

Summit nibs are easily interchanged, assuming to a pen of equal size. However, from your explanation above, I would have though the easiest solution would be to find a replacement barrel rather than tinker with a nib setting that you clearly like.  

#4 AAN

AAN

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:27

Many thanks for this information Northlodge.
You are right, I really don't want to do anything to disturb the way the pen writes.
I couldn't get a good photo of the nib, but there is only a small amount of tipping, suggesting perhaps a reground.
I've sent a PM.

#5 Ambien

Ambien

Consulting Detective

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2013 - 16:21

I have a similiar S..130 Summit FP and it also has a medium stubish nib too. 

Tempus edax rerum

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nibs, stub, italic, vintage

Sponsored Content

|