The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Moleskine Vs. Montblanc Issue

problem issue moleskine montblanc medium nib toffee brown bleed through

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 circlepattern

circlepattern

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2013 - 16:48

Wow, had no idea paper costed that much. What do you guys use it for?

Sponsored Content

#22 storyteller

storyteller

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2013 - 17:07

Hi, everyone!

I recently bought my first fountain pen - a Montblanc Jonathan Swift with medium nib with Montblanc toffee brown ink. I

Hi Stesh. Welome to FPN. Nice new pen and ink combination!

I like Moleskine notebooks and do use them, but never with a fountain pen. Guess why :D

It has to be me, not the paper, that dictates my choice of writing instrument and ink except of course when professional and/or legal matters do the dictating for me.

I use 90g Clairefontaine with my fountain pens, however, the other paper recommendations FPN members have given you are OK too.

I like wet inks and broad nibs and a large bold stroke across good thick paper, but thats just me, everyone is different.

Feel free to experiment and most of all, enjoy yourself.

Edit: check out this link to a review of a broad nibbed MB Jonathan Swift

http://thesebeautifu...cluttering.html

Edited by storyteller, 01 June 2013 - 17:26.

#23 wastelanded

wastelanded

No affiliation.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2013 - 18:43

I like the shade of Moleskine paper. With the bound, elastic wrapped ones a finer nib and dry ink work fine (eg. Lamy F and Pelikan BB work with some showthrough and no bleedthrough). The softcover Volant notebooks I've had more success with, and have used them to test new inks.

I won't be buying any more of them, as I now know there's better alternatives for FP users. Such as the Studio brand notebooks from Dollarama that are $2 each.

Edited by wastelanded, 01 June 2013 - 18:44.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

#24 JefferyS

JefferyS

"Don't tase me, bro!"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,362 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2013 - 21:57

I like the shade of Moleskine paper. With the bound, elastic wrapped ones a finer nib and dry ink work fine (eg. Lamy F and Pelikan BB work with some showthrough and no bleedthrough). The softcover Volant notebooks I've had more success with, and have used them to test new inks.

I won't be buying any more of them, as I now know there's better alternatives for FP users. Such as the Studio brand notebooks from Dollarama that are $2 each.

Gaaa! We don't have Dollaramas down here. Yet another reason why I'd rather be on the northern edge of the US rather than the southern edge.

Jeffery
In the Irish Channel of
New Orleans, LA

#25 wastelanded

wastelanded

No affiliation.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2013 - 22:07

Gaaa! We don't have Dollaramas down here. Yet another reason why I'd rather be on the northern edge of the US rather than the southern edge.

Do you have some kind of dollar store nearby? I don't know if Studio is a Dollarama-specific brand: they might be at other stores as well.

The paper is much thicker in the Studio books, I'd guess 120g. Not as many pages, but no bleedthrough and barely showthough. No feathering wih most inks as well. I should try and do some pics/scans.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

#26 stesh

stesh

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:25

Hi, everyone!

I just testet my beloved MB toffee brown ink on the Russian notary.

It didn't work. The lady told me that though there are no regulatory restictions to the use of any ink other than blue/black - she strongly recommends not to use my MB toffee brown on a notarized document in order to avoid any possible problem. I decided not to take the risk and signed the paper with a blue roller :unsure:

#27 BrandonA

BrandonA

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,861 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:28

I love the Moleskine pads, in fact I cracked open a new one yesterday and am using my MB Cervantes pen (M) inked with MB Toffee Brown ink.

I agree with the OP that you get a lot of bleeding.  I personally do not find this an issue though as being a leftie I find it awkward to write on the reverse of a page.  I therefore by design only ever use the left page so the bleeding is not an issue for me.

The Rhodia Webnotebooks have far less bleeding with any of my MB pen and ink combinations though and if bleeding is an issue for you I'd recommend trying these pads.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

#28 BrandonA

BrandonA

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,861 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:29

I love the Moleskine pads, in fact I cracked open a new one yesterday and am using my MB Cervantes pen (M) inked with MB Toffee Brown ink.

I agree with the OP that you get a lot of bleeding.  I personally do not find this an issue though as being a leftie I find it awkward to write on the reverse of a page.  I therefore by design only ever use the left page so the bleeding is not an issue for me.

The Rhodia Webnotebooks have far less bleeding with any of my MB pen and ink combinations though and if bleeding is an issue for you I'd recommend trying these pads.

On a side note, have you remembered to send your photos to your mother yet?

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

#29 ohpaulpleasestop

ohpaulpleasestop

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:01

LOL...also you should try TOMOE PAPER!! tis awesome and doesnt bleed with my 149 OBB Visconti Turquoise.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: problem, issue, moleskine, montblanc, medium nib, toffee brown, bleed through

Sponsored Content

|