The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Mont Blanc 146 Vs. Pilot Varsity!

mont blanc varsity comparison

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Fabienne

Fabienne

Et nunc, aliquid plene diversum!

• Remembered Fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2013 - 19:17

From the sublime to the ridiculous? Not so fast, my friend. How did they stack up? Watch and see:

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 atypical

atypical

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 21:02

Thanks for the imaginative comparison.

What never ceases to amaze me is the fact that the Pilot V-Pen (a.k.a. Varsity) never, ever seems to dry out. Not even if you refill it with ink that would quickly clog other pens. One of these days I'm going to refill one with Indian or acrylic ink to see how well it copes with those (unless someone has already tried that and it didn't work).

#3 GabrielleDuVent

GabrielleDuVent

The Sylph Scribe of the Unseelie Court, 2nd Class

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:36

What never ceases to amaze me is the fact that the Pilot V-Pen (a.k.a. Varsity) never, ever seems to dry out. Not even if you refill it with ink that would quickly clog other pens. One of these days I'm going to refill one with Indian or acrylic ink to see how well it copes with those (unless someone has already tried that and it didn't work).

I thought that was the ink characteristic! Varsities also don't bleed or feather. I'd love to know why.

Now, if they only create "varsity" ink... then I'd buy a batch, chug it into my Platinum, and be the happiest writer in my town.

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié. 

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

#4 revbyrd1

revbyrd1

Southern Gentleman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2013 - 20:58

That was quite interesting. Thank you for sharing this comparison.

I used several Varsities while in college. I know have a 146 just like the one reviewed.
Peace,

J. Kenneth Byrd, Jr.

(Kenny)
The Tar Heel State--GO HEELS!

#5 max dog

max dog

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,581 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:44

Thanks.  That was a fun comparison and I thought you highlighted the merits of both pens really nicely.

#6 rogerico

rogerico

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:59

From the sublime to the ridiculous? Not so fast, my friend. How did they stack up? Watch and see:

Great comparison! But just one thing (with all the affection)... MB 146 is not the King of Pens! No, no, no... This is the really King!

Thanks!

Roger

#7 slappypappy

slappypappy

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2013 - 13:51

the varsity was one of the first pens i started with, I never had a problem, with it but I do not  think it can compare to the 146!

#8 slappypappy

slappypappy

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2013 - 13:54

what! you cant refill the varsity it is a disposible pen

#9 orfew

orfew

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,242 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2013 - 14:56

Thanks for the great comparison. That was very interesting to watch.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

#10 bugmd

bugmd

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2013 - 15:06

what! you cant refill the varsity it is a disposible pen

Sure you can refill it. There are numerous threads on this forum illustrating several different filling methods. This one is my favorite.

Thanks for the comparison. BTW I owe you for a phrase that you used. I have never used the words "road feel" with my pens but it is a very appropriate descriptive phrase.

Edited by bugmd, 08 June 2013 - 15:18.

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

#11 Fabienne

Fabienne

Et nunc, aliquid plene diversum!

• Remembered Fondly
  • 2,765 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2013 - 16:25

Thanks, it was done as a humor piece but I was surprised at how good that Varsity is. I am not giving away the MB, though, but the Varsity was a heap better than some of the pens I have bought and paid a lot more in the purchase. BTW, my husband would not let me borrow his 149 for this, he said it was too silly.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

#12 lsblmft

lsblmft

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:14

Sure you can refill it. There are numerous threads on this forum illustrating several different filling methods. This one is my favorite.

Thanks for the comparison. BTW I owe you for a phrase that you used. I have never used the words "road feel" with my pens but it is a very appropriate descriptive phrase.

Me too - I have never heard the phrase "road feel" and felt instantly amused and happy to have found a new way to describe what I love about some of my favorite pens, particularly my Sailors. Thanks!

Montblanc / Pelikan / Sailor / Pilot / Lamy / Cross / Parker

#13 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2013 - 16:53

interesting comparison, thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#14 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,109 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 20:10

Sure you can refill it. There are numerous threads on this forum illustrating several different filling methods. This one is my favorite. .....

With a rag and a pair of pliers, you can also twist the nib and feed out, refill with ink, and twist them back in. I do it for students, as young as third grade!

Edited by TSherbs, 09 June 2013 - 20:10.

#15 karmakoda

karmakoda

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,005 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2013 - 21:24

That was an entertaining 11 minutes.

As I selected this topic I was thinking, "Oh, Brother....",  did not expect the humor and strong, creative presentation. 

Brought back memories of long lost student pens, too.

Thank You Fabienne!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mont blanc, varsity, comparison

Sponsored Content

|