vishwaskrishna

I also have a TWSBI Diamond 580 fountain pen, and initially I had issues with the flow stopping and starting.

I was able to get good flow and smooth writing by doing two simple things.

1.) I was using Diamante Sargasso Sea Blue -- that ink was too thick for the pen, it was drying and causing start-and-stop issues, so I switched to Namiki (Pilot) Blue.

2.) Because this pen is a vacuum-style pen, I loosed the bottom ( two to three half turns ), thus breaking the vacuum.

Ever since, I've had smooth writing from this pen -- so much so that I have a TWSBI Vac 70 waiting to be filled right now. , granted, it's not as smooth as my Pilot Metropolitan, but it's a good close second - and it hold tons more ink!

"Angeli i demoni kruzhili nado mnoj"

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• vishwaskrishna

• sannidh

• de_pen_dent

have the 530 for 4 yrs, 2 yrs it basically was junk.

Will never buy another TWSBI product again.

on the positive;

-customer service is incredible.

-like the nib a lot.

bad

-price- why a 6 dollar pen more reliable?

-the whole design has too many points of failure- ring that holds the nib cracks

-messy to fill- even with the ink filler. ink gets under ring.

-piston leaks

-wacky screw to take apart- takes forever to put back properly.

-clip retainer breaks at top of post if you use it.

-cannot post.

-overly complicated.

Like the nib but want to see if it can fit in another pen because I really want to hurl this in the garbage can.

Well I just want to add my two bits worth as well. I recently got the 580Rb and have had the exact same problems as the OP. I did the pressing of the nib down to widen it and I squeezed the nib so it is a bit more curved as per direct instructions from Philip Wang. I even showed him my YouTube videos. I have since followed up with another video and it looks to be even worse. Not sure what to do at the moment but what I did do was but another nib and feed to replace my original one.

I also cut the feed channel a bit wider but that didn't seem to help much. What it did do was void my warranty claim with TWSBI for ever getting a replacement part. That's why I bought another part.

My video can be found using the keyword "TWSBI 580rb skipping"

Well I just want to add my two bits worth as well. I recently got the 580Rb and have had the exact same problems as the OP. I did the pressing of the nib down to widen it and I squeezed the nib so it is a bit more curved as per direct instructions from Philip Wang. I even showed him my YouTube videos. I have since followed up with another video and it looks to be even worse. Not sure what to do at the moment but what I did do was but another nib and feed to replace my original one.

I also cut the feed channel a bit wider but that didn't seem to help much. What it did do was void my warranty claim with TWSBI for ever getting a replacement part. That's why I bought another part.

My video can be found using the keyword "TWSBI 580rb skipping"

You should have contacted TWSBI prior to hacking at the feed.

Also, I don't think you can 'adjust' plastic feeds. I'm pretty sure you can only widen channels of ebonite feeds. Any cutting of plastic feeds messes with the capillary action; none of that and you're in a bad place.

Tom.

Edited by FoszFay

I got the 580AL recently.

The balance and weight are perfect.

I noticed the pen had a 'spurty' ink flow if I write too fast (the ink was drawn quickly, but not replaced as fast).

I managed to resolve the issue by opening the piston knob half a turn, and a slight adjustment to the nib as shown in the video. Except that after pressing the nib on the sides to widen the gap in the tines, I also pressed a bit downwards, to sort of flex the nib a bit. My understanding is that pressing on the sides alone just 'twists' the tines, increasing the inkflow, but unless the iridium tip in the front of the nib is completely ball shaped, it'll also increase scratchiness. That I believe can be resolved by just flexing the nib a bit after pressing the sides.

So now the nib's writing as wet as it gets, anymore and it'll start pooling and filling up the looped characters too. Extremely satisfied, compared to the price I paid for a piston filler with aluminum mechanism.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

You should have contacted TWSBI prior to hacking at the feed.

Also, I don't think you can 'adjust' plastic feeds. I'm pretty sure you can only widen channels of ebonite feeds. Any cutting of plastic feeds messes with the capillary action; none of that and you're in a bad place.

Tom.

I never cut it BEFORE I contacted him, only AFTER he suggested those two things, which made it worse. The hack seemed to improve it somewhat but it still has hard starts. It works better on absorbent papers over the slick vellum coated Rhodia. With that the pen is a total write-off (no pun intended)

My first review here at FPN. After reading a lot about the TWSBI pens on FPN, I was really tempted to try one of them. So, I purchased the recently released TWSBI Diamond 580 with a medium nib (and later on bought an EF nib too) directly from TWSBI.

The pen cost me $80 ($50+$30 for shipping).

Nice review :D . Thanks for sharing the problems with your 580. (Guess they have phased out the 540 due to cracking issue with the grip section)

Edited by soniknitr

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

Thanks for the nice review. I have a TWSBI Mini, a Classic, and a Vac700. I had a 580 but there was something about the section that I did not like and I gave it to a friend who admired it. I will have to see if I like the 580AL better. For those who are loosening their piston knobs to increase ink flow. This works on the Vac700 because you are opening a valve that allows ink to flow. On the 580 you are increasing the pressure on the ink and physically pushing it out the feed. This may work in the short term but as you use the ink you will have to continue to turn the knob to push more ink out. This is not how the pen was designed to be used. Ink should flow freely.

I bought the 580 rose gold and had all the skipping issues tried flushing the pen, different inks, still the same ended up sending it back for repair. It actually came back worse than before so I had no choice but to get a refund and I will not be buying twsbi again which is a shame because it was a really nice pen.

No one is born hating another person because of the colour of their skin their background or their religion. People must learn to hate and if they can learn to hate they can be taught to love for love comes more naturally to the human heart than it's opposite.

even with the outrageous 30USD Fedex shipping that TWSBI wants their customers to use, making the total 4500/- it is still 8USD cheaper to buy directly from TWSBI rather than the local reseller pensavenue, their pricing dept must have been sleeping or simply depend on ignorant customers.

On the other hand, the writing desk in the UK have the best prices for TWSBI shipped worldwide. just 63USD(3600/-INR) shipped to India for the 580 by standard mail. and TWD have great service.

Guess they have the prices more or less adjusted by now ~ thanks to booming ex. rates. (USD 75 (with track-ship) now at TWD for the 580)

And again there will be a customs duty since it would get VAT deducted..

I want to get one just for the exquisite set of accessories - wrench & the silicone grease :), else a pilot custom 92 (+ USD 35), very well addresses the segment with a rhodiated 14k nib.

Regards,

Sonik

Edited by soniknitr

I want to get one just for the exquisite set of accessories - wrench & the silicone grease

heh. 100rs for a chrome vanadium 7mm open wrench, 100rs for a jar of silicone grease. 200rs conveyance to Lohar Chawl to buy the items.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

heh. 100rs for a chrome vanadium 7mm open wrench, 100rs for a jar of silicone grease. 200rs conveyance to Lohar Chawl to buy the items.

yes Mumbai only..ah forgot that.. and my conveyance would be less than 160 :)

The wrench should cost less than 100 as well. It was only to give you an idea of cost comparisons. Look for the thinnest wrench that you can find. All the best.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

@ hari any pointers regarding shops selling the wrench and silicon grease ( whats its called in the area i had a tough time buying cabling/tar sheets/glasswool for my Home Theatre setup as they didnt understand the AWG codes and tilli said dambar patti they didnt know what a tar sheet was ) for me the conveyance is nil as i pass thru the area on way to work daily.

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

Thanks for the review! I picked one of these up not long after getting into fountain pens but I just don't use it. It's nice to look at for sure.