Nibs That Merge Into The Pen...?

CharlieTurtle

RMN: I'll need to do better research. Thanks for the lead but I hope I won't have to use it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CharlieTurtle

• Sandy1

• sethk

• Honeybadgers

The dolphin is very nice, but they seem more difficult to get hold of. I looked at Heros, but have heard some iffy things about them.

I lucked into Dolphin (fittingly a gray one) as one of my first cheap vintage boutique purchases. I like it quite a lot and I'm gearing up to give its touchdown mechanism a servicing.

I have a Hero Parker 51 knockoff (complete with arrow clip and aerometric filler) that writes quite well for costing less than $3. It does tend to need some coaxing if it sits for awhile. But, it's nice enough that I plan on buying an integrated nib Hero as a cheap stand-in for the Myu 701 I greatly covet but cannot justify paying for.

I recently found the myu/murex/mieux/parker 50/hero 849-850 with their integrated nibs and have added them to my list. But, for my own clarification, would the parker 65 be considered an inset nib, or inlaid nib? I have always thought that a hallmark of the inlaid nib is that it can't really be (at least easily) removed from the section, is that also true?

I am a inlaid nib (sheaffer) fan. But what is an inset nib?

Hi,

It seems to me that an inset nib is one that does not have the 'wings' of an open nib, and is surrounded by a raised portion of the section.

In the example below, the first three pens have variations on the inset nib. L - R: Waterman CF, Pilot Custom, Pilot Elite.

№ 4 is a semi-hooded nib on a Waterman Taperite.

№ 5 is an inlaid nib on a Sheaffer PFM I.

№ 6 is a conical Triumph nib on a Sheaffer Snorkie.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Pen_Scans/cdd4c80e.jpg

Another view of the same pens in the same sequence:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Pen_Scans/5ec09075.jpg

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

If a medium nib is acceptable check out the Mieux on eBay. Usually about $38.00 + #13.00 shipping. Also, if you can find it, Hero made a model similar to the Pilot MYU/Murex. It's called the 850 and also has, at least on the one I got, a medium nib.

Good luck and be sure to post any interesting results.

-S-

Has anyone tried the Mieux? Is it a good writer?

I've found a bunch of blue Shaeffer Imperials on eBay. Bye bye money. Oops. (I should point out, I'll only get one.)

You're doing the right thing; I picked up an Imperial in an antique store for fifteen bucks last week- it writes amazing; it's a quite stiff, very light and very smooth pen - it looks amazing and just flies across the paper! I've had a couple of nice pen deals in the past, but I think that my Imperial might've been the best one so far. :)

You're doing the right thing; I picked up an Imperial in an antique store for fifteen bucks last week- it writes amazing; it's a quite stiff, very light and very smooth pen - it looks amazing and just flies across the paper! I've had a couple of nice pen deals in the past, but I think that my Imperial might've been the best one so far. :)

I'm winning (currently) and if not, I found a couple on buy-it-now for just a little more money. I also found a whole fleet of Heros but have heard some strange things about the filling system.

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

Ouch, was outbid by a considerable amount.

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

There is at least one wooden pen with an inlaid nib. Here is a photo of a Sheaffer Targa model 1050, called Palissandre de Rio. Unfortunately, it is quite scarce and well beyond your $300 upper limit.

http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/MYMNwczYUz1Nxj/4583385.0/org/p/Sheaffer+Targa%2C+Palissandre+de+Rio%2C+open.jpg

But it's not a disaster at all. The wood feels quite nice in the hand and it writes just as nicely as any other Targa since all Classic Targa nibs are interchangeable. The wood is actually an overlay and it makes the pen a bit thicker than normal Targas; this is a good thing since many people find the Targa just a bit too thin.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

Well, it has been mentioned a couple of times but an image is worth so much more, even if it is my poor attempt at pen photography. Pilot MYU

P1030297.JPG

P1030298.JPG

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

Well, it has been mentioned a couple of times but an image is worth so much more, even if it is my poor attempt at pen photography. Pilot MYU

I think your photography is quite nice. I really like the shadows as a matter of fact. The pics are nearly painful to look at, for me. That pen kills me (figuratively, though the Myu might serve well as a weapon in a pinch). Edited by sethk

Hi,

It seems to me that an inset nib is one that does not have the 'wings' of an open nib, and is surrounded by a raised portion of the section.

In the example below, the first three pens have variations on the inset nib. L - R: Waterman CF, Pilot Custom, Pilot Elite.

№ 4 is a semi-hooded nib on a Waterman Taperite.

№ 5 is an inlaid nib on a Sheaffer PFM I.

№ 6 is a conical Triumph nib on a Sheaffer Snorkie.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Pen_Scans/cdd4c80e.jpg

Another view of the same pens in the same sequence:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Pen_Scans/5ec09075.jpg

Bye,

S1

Thanks,

mohan.

• 6 years later...

Hello, sir, I am always looking a targa 1050 in nice condition. Just let me know if you are willing to sell it, thx!

There is at least one wooden pen with an inlaid nib. Here is a photo of a Sheaffer Targa model 1050, called Palissandre de Rio. Unfortunately, it is quite scarce and well beyond your $300 upper limit.

http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/MYMNwczYUz1Nxj/4583385.0/org/p/Sheaffer+Targa%2C+Palissandre+de+Rio%2C+open.jpg

But it's not a disaster at all. The wood feels quite nice in the hand and it writes just as nicely as any other Targa since all Classic Targa nibs are interchangeable. The wood is actually an overlay and it makes the pen a bit thicker than normal Targas; this is a good thing since many people find the Targa just a bit too thin.

Missed this thread, or hadn't asked Penboard .de for permission to use their picture of a Geha 725 nib. A very classy with rolled gold trim, great balanced pen.

fqsYWy5.jpg

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

there was that stupid overpriced porsche pen

porsche-design-solid-fountain-pen-pop.jp

I personally think the sheaffer dolphin nib is the king of all inlaid nibs. it's gorgeous, timeless, and there are even some flexible models out there.

The sheaffer triumph is a close second, but its design is rather old fashioned looking

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I personally think the sheaffer dolphin nib is the king of all inlaid nibs. it's gorgeous, timeless, and there are even some flexible models out there.

Ewww, ick, gross. Those are the ugliest of the lot and aren't even true inlaid nibs!

(I'm hyperboling, but really, those just are totally inelegant when placed next to other, fine Sheaffer inlaid nibs).

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I recently bought the pilot E95S. It is a new pen that is really affordable given it has a 14K nib. I got mine for about $90 and found a sale of 3 con-40 converters for just $10. I really like the nib of this pen. It is stunningly beautiful and writes very smooth. I know this pen is almost (not fully) a rebuild of the pilot Elite but I love this pen to bits

Ewww, ick, gross. Those are the ugliest of the lot and aren't even true inlaid nibs!

(I'm hyperboling, but really, those just are totally inelegant when placed next to other, fine Sheaffer inlaid nibs).

Wait I am totally wrong about it after googling. I thought the nib on the PFM/imperial was the dolphin. You're right, the "dolphin" is hideous.

What is the name of the inlaid nib in the PFM and imperial? That's my favorite.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)