Naughty Words: Your Favorites

Mickey

Your writing is wonderful. It is a curious thing when we view our own work and then compare it to others. Eat food made by others and it will always taste better than food made by yourself.

A good writing nib and pen also helps

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• slippery when wet

• Chris Chalmers

• HDoug

• Newjelan

1. "summum". By the time my Business Writing ("Palmer") hand reaches the second letter "m", it tends to become a mess.

2. "flight". Ascenders and descenders. Fortunately, it's a short word, otherwise I'd be in real trouble.

3. "cricket". If I'm not careful, "c", "r", "i" and "e" all look alike. The "c" accidentally gets a little loop, the loop of the "e" closes and the wavy thing of the "r" disappears making it look like a dotless "i".

Favorite: "union". I often work towards this word: o, i, o, io, n, on, in, ion, un, uni, ion, union.

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

Your writing is wonderful. It is a curious thing when we view our own work and then compare it to others. Eat food made by others and it will always taste better than food made by yourself.

A good writing nib and pen also helps

Thank you for your kind words......I'm like that with most aspects of life that are enjoyable.....and food certainly is one!!!

Did I say I'm a leftie - an underwriter???

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

Interesting thread.

Back when I was taking calligraphy classes years ago (as well as classes on typography), one thing I learned was that visually speaking, you can't necessarily have uniform spacing between the letters in words (the spacing between letters is called "kerning". Two letters that are primarily composed of straight i.e., vertical) lines -- such as the double "l" in the word "calligraphy" -- need to be spaced slightly further apart than a straight and a curve -- such as "o" followed by "h"; these, in turn, need to be spaced slightly farther apart than two curved letters -- such as "b" followed by "e". Somehow, the eye wants this spacing adjusted to make the entire word more legible.

Not entirely sure how this would work with regular cursive handwriting, though.... And it's been a long time (over a quarter of a century at this point) since I've done any of this.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

"Egypt" - Elegant capital E's are difficult, followed by a descender, the momentum-breaking top of the "y", then by a final descender which never seems to match the preceding two. I have written "Egypt" many, many times, and it is just very difficult to master.

I'm not aware of any particular difficulty with letter combinations. This may well be because I try very hard not to think about it. The last thing I need, is another hang-up!

In another life, when practicing the piano, if I knew that a particularly difficult bar was approaching, my whole playing would disintigrate in anticipation!

It's much the same as with the fingers / hand / arm / shoulder / muscular movement discussion.I try to avoid thinking about this, as whatever I'm doing is entirely instinctive and seems to be working OK for me.

I know that this is hardly constructive advice but, as they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Ken

Edited by caliken

"Egypt" - Elegant capital E's are difficult, followed by a descender, the momentum-breaking top of the "y", then by a final descender which never seems to match the preceding two. I have written "Egypt" many, many times, and it is just very difficult to master.

Oh, Egypt is a bad one. I made myself a little abecedarium for majuscule practice consisting of short country names, and Egypt always annoys me. I'm thinking of dumping Egypt for Eritrea. Fiji is fun to write though. And say. Fiji Fiji Fiji!