Bent Nib Help

WhiskeyMan

Hello,

I've just posted about my Eversharp pencil, but I've also gotten a matching Skyline fp. However, the nib on it is bent forward. I would like to get this pen repaired, but I don't know what this would require.

My other question is more general. I have an old waterman that has a slightly bent nib that works great. Is it necessarily a big problem if a nib is bent? Here is a picture of both of those nibs together. Has anyone have this experience, and if this was your pen, what would you do with it?

post-63775-0-08951400-1369341892_thumb.png

Edited by WhiskeyMan

Old Sport

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jbb

• WhiskeyMan

• Ron Z

• TimGirdler

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry. Made the picture a little too small. Let me know if you need a bigger one.

Old Sport

A bigger picture would be helpful. If the pens were mine, i'd fix the nibs--but I fix nibs.

If the Eversharp hasn't been restored, it is highly likely it will need to be. Part of that process can, and should be, fixing the nib. As far as the Waterman goes, if it writes, it may not be as critical. However, there is a reason that regular fountain pen nibs were not curved downward. The pen most likely write better with the nib straightened.

PM me or contact me through my website if you're interested in having your pens worked on.

Blessings,

Tim

Tim Girdler Pens  (Nib Tuning; Custom Nib Grinding; New & Vintage Pen Sales)
The Fountain Pen: An elegant instrument for a more civilized age.
I Write With: Any one of my assortment of Parker "51"s or Vacumatics

The picture IS a bit small, so it's hard to see.

On occasion you see a flex nib where the end of the nib is turned dow a bit. This changes the geometry a bit so that the nib tends to flex less than it would if stright out. It could be that the nib was turned down at the end to control and tone down the amount of flex.

The Skyline is a different matter. This one is obviously bent. The question is, given the low price and general availability of the Skyline nibs, is it worth fixing? There are a lot of trashed Skyline pens out there that are warped, have missing clips or whatever, but good nibs.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

As for the Skyline, the nib will definitely need to be either repaired or replaced.

The Waterman may be a different matter. I had a Waterman Phileas with a slightly bent nib, so I kept writing with it. When I got to trying to fix it myself, the straightened nib wouldn't write. I eventually got it to write well. If your nib writes well now and you like it that way, don't mess with it!

Due to financial constraints I've fixed some pretty gnarly sprung nibs myself with decent success. If I've purchased a pen cheaply and can't spend the money for a professional repair I figure I have nothing to lose. :unsure: The bent nib pictured is a 14K one I straightened with a nail file... (is that wrong?????) the pen write quite nicely now. ;)

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3356/4612918963_3810caa750_o.jpg

This is the pen fixed:

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4059/4612919325_e0974fd0ff_z.jpg

Edited by jbb

The bent nib pictured is a 14K one I straightened with a nail file... (is that wrong?????) the pen write quite nicely now.

How??

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi