Visconti Frustrations

Patek Calatrava

I am frustrated with my new Visconti Demonstrator with the stub nib. It is a beautifully made pen, but it has never worked properly and I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. When I first took delivery, the vacuum loading system did not work, so the pen was sent back to Italy. Visconti repaired the pen and after several weeks I had it back. Now, however, it seems to have a problem with ink flow. When I try to write with it, the ink may flow for a letter or two and then dry up. Often when I pick up the pen and try to write with it, there is no ink flow from the nib at all. I have to shake the pen, or lick the nib, and after that the pen may work for a word or two at most before drying up again. This is my first stub nib, and perhaps I am doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what. It should not be so complicated. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Strombomboli

• ItwasLuck

• Dillo

• Patek Calatrava

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is the Visconti system the same as in the Pilot 823 for example? That pen has to have the end cap unscrewed about 2mm for the ink to flow properly. I wondered if Viscontis should be used in the same way.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

It may vary. What model is it ?

There are "power fillers" (plunger) and "double reservoir" (plunger with the a little reservoir on the side of the feed.

For a double reservoir, it is supposed to work unless the smaller reservoir is empty. Then, unscrewing the knob will release ink from the big reservoir inside the small one.

If it's a "power filler", then you have to unscrew the knob in order for the ink to flow to the feed.

But in any case, you should be able to write more than a few letters. Try it on a different paper. Try inkjet paper, or notepad. If it doesn't work on any of them, then you have a tipping problem. The ink might go to the end of the nib, but the tipping at the end of the tines might not be in contact with ink. It won't be obvious for a tester, if the nib is just dipped in the inkwell.

Well anyway, please post a few pictures, of the model, and close-ups of the nib (under and over).

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

I appreciate your post since I too have problems with a few Visconti pens - all have stubs, but I didn't think the stub is the problem. I am guessing that your Demonstrator is the new mosquito filler? I have a Blue Typhoon. It and my Homo Sapiens Steel Age both "starve" for ink - not as serious as yours but very aggravating. I have tried at least a dozen different inks and as many types of paper. I can do all the rituals of unscrewing the end cap and "forcing" ink to the nib and get them writing for a little bit. But really, one shouldn't have to beg pens of this price to write. My two problem pens have different filling systems so ...

On the other hand, I have a Rembrandt and an old model Van gogh Midi with steel nibs that write perfect. I have an Opera with the stub that uses a converter that does have some hiccups but not as irritable as the Typhoon and Steel Age.

Fellow members here have helped me solve problems so I hope we'll get ours solved with this.

Ken McDaniel

<")}}}>><(

Hi everyone. Thanks for your answers to my original post. To clarify, I have the Visconti Opera Demonstrator. I have a attached stock photo of the pen. I will try some of your suggestions, unscrewing , etc., and see if that helps. I must say, you can't beat a Waterman Edson for writing quality....but I will try again and again with this Visconti until I have it figured out! Thanks again.

post-95899-0-38243400-1369264941_thumb.jpg

Ah, the Opera with the double reservoir system. It takes a little effort to get used to. I started off by filling then turning the nib up and tightening the knob, which is just the opposite of what you have to do. This actually empties the small reservoir and the only ink you have is what is in the feed. You have to twist the knob shut with the nib turned down so the small reservoir stays filled. After a good bit of writing you will have to open "unscrew" the knob with the nib down to refill the small reservoir from the larger one.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I have the master opera demonstrator and it has the same double reservoir and like everyone else has said you need to unscrew the cap to let ink flow into the smaller reservoir which will saturate the feed and allow you to write more, you need to do the same for the Pilot 823 and TWSBI Vac700. The double reservoir also allows you to empty the small reservoir and seal it completely so you can take it on an airplane and not have it leak everywhere which is nice if you fly a lot.

If I'm writing a lot I'll just leave the cap unscrewed until I'm finished writing, also your pen is likely to run out faster with a stub nib since it uses more ink and Visconti are very wet writers. I can usually get around 2-3 pages with a fine nib so you should be able to get about 1-1.5 pages depending on the ink and paper used by filling the small reservoir. If you have the booklet theres illustrations showing all the filling systems but its a pretty easy concept to understand once you start using it. I do find the double reservoir a pain to flush.

Edited by tguk911

My Opera Crystal with stub nib arrived last week and I sent it back to the retailer the next day, because I couldn't get it to write properly, as it didn't stop skipping. I tried every writing angle and every kind of paper, but it was the same all the time. Now, I am full of suspense if they can fix it. I hope your problem has only to do with the filling mechanism! Good luck.

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

I too had the same problem with my opera crystal with a fine nib. The nib was very dry and would skip constantly. I sent it to Michael Masuyama (Mike-it-Work) who adjusted the nib. It now is acceptable. Mike suggests keeping the back end unscrewed when in use. I've not had a problem with any other Visconti.

I've not had a problem with any other Visconti.

That gives me some hope! I will report on mine once it is back.

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

quality control isn't Visconti's strongest point

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

One thing you can try is to add a very small amount of dish washing detergent (more specifically, surfactants) to your ink, as I know from experience (Carène stub) that this can solve the kind of problem you're having. I'm not saying it is the only solution though, there might be something wrong with your pen. Perhaps you can try it with a small sample of ink first to see the effect. Remember, by small amount I really mean small amount, as in dip a toothpick small!

quality control isn't Visconti's strongest point

My experience with Visconti has been slightly different. I find they have excellent build quality and above average QC, except their nibs very often have flow problems. It would be nice if they tested adjusted their nibs with a standard ink (like Visconti Blue) before shipping them.

• 1 month later...

I will report on mine once it is back.

To keep true to my promises: the pen came back after quite a while, because there was a problem with the postal service. It was full of water bubbles, because it had obviously not been given time to dry after cleaning. This stained the cap, but Mr van de Graaf of La Couronne du Comte told me not to worry, it would dry out. It looked ugly, though, not new, but old, and I am worried if it really will dry out, since water had gotten in between the inner and the outer cap which couldn't be removed. But that's a lesser concern, since it still didn't write properly. So I sent it to the Netherlands one more time, from where Mr van de Graaf then sent it to Italy, now I am waiting.

I have a TWSBI Vac 700 as well, and it only wrote well after I had removed the seal between the big and the small reservoir. I wonder how I could that in the Visconti. I fear, I can't. However, it didn't write well even with the seal wide open, i.e., the knob turned loose.

Iris

Hi,

Since it is the double-reservoir power-filler, the blind cap is meant to be screwed in completely when the pen is in use. Make sure that the small front reservoir is fully filled when you close the valve though by closing the valve only when the pen is point down. Unlike with the Vac 700 and Pilot 823, the knob does not block the flow of ink to the nib. It only separates the small front reservoir from the large rear reservoir to prevent the pen from problems with some pens like large eyedroppers burping ink when they are near empty. This allows you to have a large ink capacity while avoiding the problems that often come with large eyedroppers with no shut off valves. This also prevents the hassle of unscrewing the blind cap whenever you are writing. You only need to unscrew the blind cap when the small reservoir is empty or to fill the pen.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Some people, I suppose those who write a lot with B nibs, turn the knob just a bit so the two chambers connect and you can stay writing. If I remember well GP uses this method.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I do. At the rate I fill notebooks, I found I was cranking that knob to fill the small chamber ever page or so with my stub nibs. So I open it just enough to let ink "burp" into the smaller chamber as I go. It's not pretty, but it works for power users like me who hate power fillers for extended documents.

And I'm talking EXTENDED. Just finished, 81,700 + word manuscript, which takes about 8 Clairefontaine staple bounds. That would be a LOT of small chamber filling if I cranked it shut each time. :rolleyes:

While it may not be Visconti's intention that the pen be used that way, there really isn't a problem with it, and I'm quite sure it won't hurt the pen. With Ghost Plane's broad, wet nibs especially, it's probably a good thing. I seem to recall that it takes about 4-5 small chamber fillings in some pens to empty the large reservoir in the pen, but it adds up if you have a very broad wet nib and need to refill the entire pen more often in a long writing session. I think that there is probably a problem though if the pen doesn't write normally without the knob unscrewed slightly. Maybe there is some kind of problem between the nib and feed of Patek Calatrava's pen, but it's hard to tell without seeing the pen.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• 2 years later...

Servicing A Power Filler

I recently bought a used Visconti Desert Spring with a vacuum "Power Filler". The standard way to fill this and my two other vacuum pens is to extend the plunger at the top of the barrel, immerse the nib, then press the plunger (which creates a vacuum) then allow a few seconds for it to suck ink.

My pen won't create a vacuum and won't suck any ink. But I can fill it if I push the plunger very slowly, allowing it to draw ink as I push.

I'd like some help on how to disassemble it. Then some silicone grease in the vacuum cylinder should fix it.

Does anyone know how to disassemble a Visconti vacuum "Power Filler" pen?

Thank you,

Alan

• 5 months later...

I have the master opera demonstrator and it has the same double reservoir and like everyone else has said you need to unscrew the cap to let ink flow into the smaller reservoir which will saturate the feed and allow you to write more, you need to do the same for the Pilot 823 and TWSBI Vac700. The double reservoir also allows you to empty the small reservoir and seal it completely so you can take it on an airplane and not have it leak everywhere which is nice if you fly a lot.

If I'm writing a lot I'll just leave the cap unscrewed until I'm finished writing, also your pen is likely to run out faster with a stub nib since it uses more ink and Visconti are very wet writers. I can usually get around 2-3 pages with a fine nib so you should be able to get about 1-1.5 pages depending on the ink and paper used by filling the small reservoir. If you have the booklet theres illustrations showing all the filling systems but its a pretty easy concept to understand once you start using it. I do find the double reservoir a pain to flush.

Woah did you just say 2-3 pages with the small reservoir? On my 823 (medium nib) I can write a consistent 55 pages (B5 sized) before the pen starts to get empty and needs ink. I'm just about to receive a Visconti kakadu LE 100/100 with a medium nib I believe it has a slightly small reservoir than the Opera master but has the same dual reservoir system. Considering the small reservoir has a capacity of 0.3ml?

Are you implying that I should be getting a similar or greater endurance with this pen over the 823 if the ink capacity on the Visconti is over 2.6-3ml?

Would love a response from anyone with experience with their opera masters please, thanks!

Edited by ItwasLuck

Currently Inked = Pilot Custom 823 - 14Kt Gold 'M' Nib -- Visconti Kakadu LE #100/100 - 18Kt Gold 'M' Nib -- Visconti Homo Sapiens London Fog LE #785/888 - 23Kt Pd "1.3mm Stub" Nib -- Pelikan 100N Transitional - 14Kt Gold 'OF' Nib -- Pelikan 400 - 14Kt Gold 'KF' Nib (All Inked with Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black) -- Pelikan M200 West Germany - SS 'OBB' Nib