Hello

Carrie

Hello all, just a quick introduction. I'm Carrie and I'm from England. I wish I had the money to be a pen collector, but I don't, so I just have a small collection of pens, most of which are in working order and are used.

My dad got his fountain pen in the 1950s - a Conway Stewart 74 in Green Herringbone and it sat unused in the drawer for many years and I always thought it was a beautiful pen. That got me looking at Conway Stewart pens and my first was a CS 75. Once my dad saw that it prompted him to send his pen away for repair, so that's now in working order again and being used.

I also have a couple of Parkers - 51s and a 61. I love the latter even though it's a wreck. Next on my "must have" list is a 61 in good condition.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• grasshopper

• Carrie

• Maja

• Joe

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Carrie. Nice to meet you! :)

I wish I had the money to be a pen collector, but I don't, so I just have a small collection of pens, most of which are in working order and are used.

Same here... I've been looking at inexpensive ones that seem to get high marks for quality to supplement the few more expensive ones I have. And really, expensive is relative - I think $60 is a good deal for a nice pen like a Pelikan m200, and all but one of my pens are less than $100. I think that's reasonable, but my husband says, "you spent that on a PEN??! Well, it's your allowance..." :rolleyes:

Vanessa

Welcome to the group!

What do you do with your pens mostly (letters, writing (poetry, novels, articles, etc.), journals?

Hi Carrie

Welcome to FPN. I have very few pens that are *worth* more than $100 and I've only paid slightly more than that for two pens. And that was hard to do. Most of my pens are $50 or much less. Still a good bit of cash from my POV. But like Smudgy, I think a quality FP is worth that. I don't feel the same way about a ballpoint. Yet to me, a good quality mechanical pencil could run about the same as an M200 and I wouldn't think it outrageous. :) Go figure.

anyway - Welcome and look forward to seeing more from you.

Those CS pens are shuuure purty. :)

best,

k :meow:

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Guest Denis Richard

The discussion brings back memories, references, scents etc... from accross the big ocean. I don't think I could ever tell my parents how much money I spent on my pens.

It's really not much by American standards, but that's a non-negligible amount of money for over there, and my family is regular middle class family. I remember that my mortgage on my condo used to be $200/months.

That's really funny how market values are totally turned upside down by "just" crossing an ocean. A pair of Levis would cost you $100 over there, but a visit to an MD (full cost, if you don't have insurance) would be around 20 Euros.

Hi Carrie, welcome!

Which part of England are you in? I'm looking forward to going back there in July hopefully, for a wedding... and maybe for a pen or two... :eureka:

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

Hi Carrie, nice to meet you. I'm in the UK too :D

I was thinking of getting the CS White whirl Duro, has anyone had any experiences with the Duro?

Joe.

My dad got his fountain pen in the 1950s - a Conway Stewart 74 in Green Herringbone and it sat unused in the drawer for many years and I always thought it was a beautiful pen.  That got me looking at Conway Stewart pens and my first was a CS 75. Once my dad saw that it prompted him to send his pen away for repair, so that's now in working order again and being used.

Hi Carrie and welcome to FPN :D

That CS 74 in green herringbone is one gorgeous pen and the CS 75 is a pretty pen too. :) Have you checked out Jonathan Donahaye's incredible Conway Stewart website at this link? It's well worth a look.... Also: David Wells has a very good CS guide (link here)and FPN's own CS forum moderator Max Davis has a sales site here...

Edited by Maja

Hi Carry,

Welcome to the Fountain Pen Nuthouse!

I must admit I used to think that DFL 60 (27 euros) was a lot of money for any pen, but since that time it has become an addiction, and a hobby, so I tend to spend a little more these days. I wouldn't consider myself a collector though, as I use all of the fountain pens I have lying around, with the exception of 1: that is the one I inherited from my grandfather, who probably bought it just after WWII.

BTW, I used to live and work in the UK, for a a perod of 5 years...

Anyway, I do hope you enjoy it here!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Thanks for all the welcomes, always a good indication of a nice friendly forum. I've already been enjoying reading some of the existing topics. I just wish I was even slightly knowledgable about fountain pens, really I just know what I think looks nice and little bits of pieces I've read, absolute beginner really.

Fulcanelli, to answer your question, one of my hobbies has always been penpalling. I love writing letters and they look so much nicer written in fountain pen. I rotate which pen I use depending upon what mood I'm in. I seem to have been using my old Parker 51 a heck of a lot at the moment. Seeing my writing and hearing about my pens has even persuaded a few of my penpals to move over to fountain pen as well :)

Grasshopper, I'm not too far from Manchester. Whereabouts are you visiting in July?

All this talk of fountain pens has once more reminded me that I must find someone to get two Vacumatics back in working order. They belonged to my Great Uncle, so I know I'll be having kittens the whole time they go away anywhere because of the sentimental value of them.

Maja, Johnathon Donahaye's site is marvelous isn't it. I was sat in front of the computer grinning from ear to ear the day I found that site. I'll have to have a look at the other sites you've mentioned as well.

i'll probably be in staines, near heathrow, just outside of london. Manchester's quite happening still, isn't it?

If you're interested in increasing your number of penpals, there's a pinned thread titled "snail mail writing list" under "the Write Stuff" forum, where you can do just that.

i'm going to add my name there too but i'm jus kidding myself if i say that i'll be writing any replies promptly in the next few months. i'll do it soon though, hopefully...

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...