Affordable Luxury Pens That Are Ideal For Taking A Copious Amount Of Fast-Paced Lecture Notes?

huhjunn

Also try another pen in the near-same price range of price as the TWSBI 580, but from another, more tried and true manufacturer.

Waterman Hemisphere, Pelikan M200, or what ever else can be recommended by the other fantastic people on the FPN. My Waterman Hemisphere was my beginning pen and it has an EF nib that is silky smooth. You can also try picking up a vintage FP for a good price. (I got a Duofold Junior for $40 and it is as smooth as glass, like all vintage pens)

I commend you on your stubbornness too. :) Surprised you haven't been coerced to stay with FP's just yet despite us all egging you on about them!

The FPN is here to help and be a great resource!

"Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often at times we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• huhjunn

• cellmatrix

• CharlieTurtle

• Elizabeth in NJ

People told me that I was holding it "too steep" and that I should "look up" ways to hold it the "right way." Also, I take back the whole, not waterproof thing, as I tested Noodler's black on cheap paper. But on my moleskine pocket book paper, it never dries. And I don't scrub it when using a highlighter, but there is light smudging. I guess I'm a bit of a perfectionist. However, I still get some hand fatigue and its difficult for me to write with an FP.

I see the problem, it's the paper. There's a nice sub forum full of paper reviews

I see the problem, it's the paper. There's a nice sub forum full of paper reviews

That's another thing... FPs are so... particular... I have to go out of my way to buy different kinds of paper, hold it a certain way, look up different inks. I know it sounds like a lot of excuses, but I wanted to get an FP for its practicality... Yet, it turns out that it requires so much.... more

People told me that I was holding it "too steep" and that I should "look up" ways to hold it the "right way." Also, I take back the whole, not waterproof thing, as I tested Noodler's black on cheap paper. But on my moleskine pocket book paper, it never dries. And I don't scrub it when using a highlighter, but there is light smudging. I guess I'm a bit of a perfectionist. However, I still get some hand fatigue and its difficult for me to write with an FP.

I understand the frustration with having to find a "setup" to even use fountain pens normally, but believe me it is so worth it after writing for 2 hours straight and not being fatigued. I think your TWSBI's nib must be misaligned, my fine 580 which I use as an everyday pen is smooth as can be. Just sending Speedy, the TWSBI customer support guy, a quick email can have your problem resolved in no time.

As for papers and ink compatibility, Noodler's Black does alright with about all papers unless you make your own in those funky screen presses. :P

Papers usually arnt hard to find, just go on a illicid notebook marking spree at Staples. Found their recycled sugar cane paper to be great for all situations and really affordable, especially when they have back to school sales.

A recommendation for a fancier pen than the already decadent but childish TWSBI would be anything in the Lamy 2000 line, FPs have been a little spotty but their customer support is awesome and when they work they work beautifully. Parker 45s are neat little pens too, bit too thin and light for me but they are attractive, affordable, solid writers that are a nice throwback to the time where America actually made things. ;)

Totally asking for you to give the TWSBI and the whole FPs another go, maybe you'll just find yourself a lifelong writing companion that will pay for itself many times over; I did. :wub:

i find that ballpoint pens cause fatigue in extended note taking sessions and so I have always used FPs.

If you are insisting on NPs then check out the flow of the Parker

gel refills. Buy them in quantity as they don't last long.

What does not seem to have been discussed is the issue of fit and balance. The pen must be comfortable in your hand and it must be balanced in your hand or the writing experience will be a chore. I urge that you go to a decent pen store, and there are many in Canada, and try them out before you buy. One good pen that fits your hand is much cheaper than a handful of inexpensive pens that are not comfortable.

Incidentally when I went to law school in the 70's, roller balls were not on the market. The only pen on campus that was faster than my smooth as silk Parker 45 FP was a Staedtler shorthand pen which wrote like the roller balls of today. My law school was particularly brutal and it seemed law students were always speed testing pens in the campus bookstore.

Best of luck,

Bobby

Why carry one pen when four will do!

Member of the Calgary Pen Club: <A href="http://www.calgarypenclub.com/" target=_blank>http: //www.calgarypenclub.com/

I actually have the TWSBI 580 F and it made me realize that FPs aren't for me. My hand gets tired (maybe because you have to hold it a particular way, which I find to be a nuisance). The ink (Noodler's Black, which was recommended to me by members on this forum) tends to smudge, especially when it makes contact with water, which is not ideal if it rains outside and my notes are in my bag. Also, because it tends to smudge easily, highlighting isn't an option.

In terms of an affordable luxury pen, you make a good point. But affordable luxury doesn't have to be an oxymoron. I'm more interested in a ballpoint/rollberball that is exceptionally smooth and easy to write with.

The best gel pen I've ever used is the Uni-ball Signo 207 in 0.7 (m). Not what I consider "luxury" in terms of looks but writes smoother and has better ink than pens that are much more expensive. I would avoid another fountain pen for fast note-taking after your experience with the TWSBI.

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.

I guess I'm a bit of a perfectionist. However, I still get some hand fatigue and its difficult for me to write with an FP.

Im just curious: If you don't like fountain pens and just have bad things to say about them, too smudgy too fatiguing, etc. they why are you posting in a fountain pen forum? Are you just trolling or what?

That's another thing... FPs are so... particular... I have to go out of my way to buy different kinds of paper, hold it a certain way, look up different inks. I know it sounds like a lot of excuses, but I wanted to get an FP for its practicality... Yet, it turns out that it requires so much.... more

Not really get a nicer pen with a better nib and a broader nib and you'll be fine. F nibs are always more scratchy and will dig with even the slightest miss in how you're holding the pen. Broader nibs are more forgiving, and a better pen with a better nib will be smoother. As much as people like the TWSBI 580 it doesn't compare to several of my other pens.

Ink and paper experimentation are all fun, but it isn't necessary to use fountain pens.

Im just curious: If you don't like fountain pens and just have bad things to say about them, too smudgy too fatiguing, etc. they why are you posting in a fountain pen forum? Are you just trolling or what?

I'm posing on a fountain pen forum for advice on a ballpoint/rollerball, because there isn't really another pen forum specifically for ballpoints/rollerballs. But everyone is telling me to try out an FP, which I already have done. I'm not bashing FPs I'm just giving my experience of them.

Not really get a nicer pen with a better nib and a broader nib and you'll be fine. F nibs are always more scratchy and will dig with even the slightest miss in how you're holding the pen. Broader nibs are more forgiving, and a better pen with a better nib will be smoother. As much as people like the TWSBI 580 it doesn't compare to several of my other pens.

Ink and paper experimentation are all fun, but it isn't necessary to use fountain pens.

Sounds promising. I wish people on the forum didn't recommend the TWSBI 580 F to me... maybe my experience would have been much more positive.

Edited by huhjunn

To learn how to hold a fountain pen go to 'classic tripod' and 'death grip'.

Then you will not hold it too high.

It is held behind the big knuckle on the index finger, at 45 degrees, 40 degrees at the start of the web of your thumb, or at 35 degrees in the pit of the web of your thumb.

Not before the big knuckle like a ball point.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

To learn how to hold a fountain pen go to 'classic tripod' and 'death grip'.

Then you will not hold it too high.

It is held behind the big knuckle on the index finger, at 45 degrees, 40 degrees at the start of the web of your thumb, or at 35 degrees in the pit of the web of your thumb.

Not before the big knuckle like a ball point.

And don't use them on Moleskine notebooks ;)

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

Yeah, i get some fatigue too- using a ballpoint is as effortless as writing with a stick dipped in honey. Sometimes i feel tired just by looking at them !

I'm posing on a fountain pen forum for advice on a ballpoint/rollerball, because there isn't really another pen forum specifically for ballpoints/rollerballs. But everyone is telling me to try out an FP, which I already have done. I'm not bashing FPs I'm just giving my experience of them.

Sounds promising. I wish people on the forum didn't recommend the TWSBI 580 F to me... maybe my experience would have been much more positive.

I never owned a TWSBI myself but from your experience I suppose I would think twice about getting one. Anyway, I understand your position here and I apologize about my questioning attitude. As far as a high quality ballpoint or rollerball, you really cant go wrong with a montblanc. They are built solid, and the refills are quite smooth. Some might say they are a bit overpriced and have too much snob appeal, but once you get past the pain of purchase and get over worrying about what other people think, you will find these pens are very user friendly. Good luck on your quest. :happyberet:

Edited by cellmatrix

Not really. I have used fountain pens for more than 10 years (not exclusively for several of them though) and until the last 6-9 months just used whatever I had around in terms of paper.

Copy paper, lined filler paper,whatever. The difference between say a $1.00 composition book (get the Made in Brazil ones as they seem to feather the least) and a more expensive notebook (Black n Red for example among the quality papers out there) which is available in A5, A4 and other sizes is the way it handles some of the inks. Instead of going into the paper fibers, it sits on top of them. (the paper is slicker) Worry about papers later or for different purposes. General notes- cheap is perfect. Something you are going to turn in for a grade? Something a bit nicer.

Are you just shoving your pages into your bag? One way to keep them dry/drier in your bag is to use a manilla file folder to hold your pages. It has to get pretty wet - even in a cloth/nylon bag/backpack for the pages to be ruined. (or filler paper in a 3 ring notebook)

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

The last utensil I would use for note taking would be a fountain pen. I have always found them too slow to write with. In a shorthand class I took in high school we used pencils. I used pencils and ballpoints through college, and they were OK. Jotters were better than Cross in the sixties because they had a larger diameter.

It seems to me that fountain pen enthusiasts champion the use of fountain pens for everything. Every other type of utensil is too much effort, too slow, etc., where the fountain pen beats all for all purposes. It does amuse me to read such posts.

I think the Montblanc ballpoint is best, followed by their excellent rollerball. Pentel pencils are pretty good for taking notes, though. Especially .9 mm. Shorthand does help.

I like fountain pens, but I will not risk damaging them trying to write fast.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

+1 with the Mont Blanc ballpoints, mine is great for writing up notes at work, the Monteverde refills are excellent too. I find the Paper Mate ballpoints are excellent writers too, even the cheap models, very smooth though can blob a bit.

The Pilot (edit: it's actually the zebra 301!) 300 (can't remember exact model) refillable ballpoint is another smooth writer and has a metal barrel with a rubber grip which feels very comfy. There have been some complaints about the refills though, mine writes very nicely but the black is more of a grey colour.

Edited by sammyboy

The last utensil I would use for note taking would be a fountain pen. I have always found them too slow to write with. In a shorthand class I took in high school we used pencils. I used pencils and ballpoints through college, and they were OK. Jotters were better than Cross in the sixties because they had a larger diameter.

It seems to me that fountain pen enthusiasts champion the use of fountain pens for everything. Every other type of utensil is too much effort, too slow, etc., where the fountain pen beats all for all purposes. It does amuse me to read such posts.

I think the Montblanc ballpoint is best, followed by their excellent rollerball. Pentel pencils are pretty good for taking notes, though. Especially .9 mm. Shorthand does help.

I like fountain pens, but I will not risk damaging them trying to write fast.

Finally, someone who sees my point of view. Thank you, sir. I think I'll try a brand new refill of parker in my jotter, followed by some other refill types (if I can get my hands on them at a reasonable price) and see which writes the best. Thanks for everyone's input! So far I'm thinking of trying fisher space refill, monteverde, parker, mont blanc. If there are any you would like to recommend, feel free to do so!

Finally, someone who sees my point of view. Thank you, sir. I think I'll try a brand new refill of parker in my jotter, followed by some other refill types (if I can get my hands on them at a reasonable price) and see which writes the best. Thanks for everyone's input! So far I'm thinking of trying fisher space refill, monteverde, parker, mont blanc. If there are any you would like to recommend, feel free to do so!

If you are going that route I would put uniball jet stream at the top of the list, followed by zebra (and with a noticeable difference). To me the MB and Parker BPs have more resistance or "pasty" feel. Fisher has a number of advantages but quality is hit or miss as some of the refills tend to deposit blobs periodically.

Sorry it was the Zebra 301 I was referring to on my previous post, decent BP with nice ergonomics. Just hope Zebra improve their ink quality slightly and it'll be an excellent budget ballpoint.