• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• James Pickering

• forrest

• Free Citizen

• Keith with a capital K

Well, James Pickering may be able to help you out on this but here are my 2 cents worth. Depending on your budget you could try out the Sheaffer Calligraphy sets. They should still be available over the Pen Counters. Lamy makes three italic sizes; 1.1 mm, 1.5 mm and 1.9 mm. You can by them online here: http://www.pengallery.com/ rotring has a wider range and sets but they are not produced anymore. They were sold at Art Supplies Stores. If you find them, buy without hesitation. Mr. Pickering recommends them highly. For practical italic handwriting, nothing beats Osmiroids. Manuscripts are equally good. They come in sets of 6 nibs. Happy hunting.

T-H Lim

Life is short, so make the best of it while we still have it.

Welcome to the FPN message board Albert ...

The guys and gals here have it right, or is that write?

Osmiroid, Rotring, Sheaffer, Parker, Manuscript, and Lamy all make (or made) calligraphy sets and one that did not get mentioned was the calligraphy set made by Filcao of Italy which is also very nice.

I know there are probably folks here with a few spare calligraphy pens besides me and a WTB or "want to buy" post on the TRADE forum should net some good results whether you are looking for individual pens or whole sets.

Cheers!

Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/

Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca

In my experience, all those mentioned are good. I personally find the Sheaffer nibs "out of the box" not to be fine (sharp) enough for my writing. I particularly like the Osmiroid & Manuscript fine/extra fine nibs for small writing and the Rotring nibs for larger writing.

If you ever come across a vintage Mabie Todd (Swan or Blackbird) calligraphy set in decent shape for sale, buy it -- the nibs are superb.

I am glad that Keith mentioned Filcao calligraphy pens for they are excellent. Here is my "road test" of a set:

http://www.jp29.org/File0110.jpg

Thanks for the quick answer, now I got some names to llok for.

Is there also a trade part on this forum?

I shall introduce myself.

Iám 43, living in the Netherlands and was from my young years of interested in writing with all kinds of fonds ( hope this is the good word ).

For example, my parents were giving swimming lessons and needed some new swimming boards for the children, we had to write the name of the club on it.

I did I thing approx 20 with different lettertypes.

On my job, I have one of the better writings and always try to make some nice letterings with some curlings in it.

I think it's now the time to pick it up again and go further from were I stopped.

I had a callygraphy set but was missing the part that you hold in your hand, couldn't find it and throw the set away. I couldn not use it.

I looked in a shop here in the Netherlands but saw only 3 sets but not a set I liked.

All sorts of real cheap looking.

I do not want the best, I cn't affort it ( I think ) but just a nice looking and good set.

Greetings from the Netherlands, Albert

Very nice examples, thanks.

I've looked for pens on sites in the Netherlands and came on with 1 osmiroid pen for sale, it's not aspecially for caligraphy but still looks nice.There is no price set for that one, what should I bid for it, what is reasonable.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0WQAjA0MbcOKhvR6dSZqMF6ZrUZooarREE31ihSP0wKSDb9GYcbTyj8X0NSD1oNw2B8tpNKRo2fMv29mxTSblolYBTViFXf44OQImfawANHTsY4ttyytmH51ZMm0AKkvZPysURjOrOz4/Osmiroid%20Medium%20Soft%20vulpen.JPG?dc=4675495012887406033' target='_blank'>

Greetings Albert

Hi forrest,

I think what you have there is an Osmiroid 75 with interchangeable nib unit. It is no longer made. Unfortunately, they have also stopped making the nibs for this model long ago. It is a collectors item now. Congratulations. The new Osmiroid are now made in China. But if you are lucky, you can still purchase some single pack made in the UK. They have gold plated nib and they cost less than USD10. The Osmiroid set that I bought is plain stainless steel nibs of six. They range from fine to triple tines 4B. All of them perform exceedingly well. I will post some samples of its performance and pics if possible. The set of six nibs also cost less than USD10. Happy hunting :)

T-H Lim

Life is short, so make the best of it while we still have it.