Storing A Pilot Vp

tomkeb

Hello,

a Pilot Vanishing Point (Capless) is on the way to my mailbox and I was thinking about this: I am storing all my capped pens with the nib upwards, both when I'm carrying them in my bag and when they're resting in a glass on my desk. I can see the VP placed nicely in a shirt pocket, however, I don't know what would I do if I wanted to put it in a case, or just store it on my desk. Wouldn't I wear the clicking mechanism if I placed it with the nib upwards; or wouldn't the ink leak from the nib if I did it the opposite way? Since many of you have VPs, how do you carry and store them?

Thanks in advance for your tips!

http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/16/k6ic.png

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGriz

• jar

• DriedUpBob

• TLab3000

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are not going to use a pen for anything more than a week, empty it and flush it. Short term storage can be nib up, down, at an angle, forizontal, whatever you want.

My Website

I store my VP in a FP case.

However, you can put the VP in a glass (top button down, nib up) just like your other FPs - the spring is rather firm and the weight of the pen is far too low to even move the top button at all!

(You might maybe wear the clicking mechanism down if you store the VP this way on Jupiter.)

My facetted VPs are sitting on their side on a Rhodia pad as I write this...

When I am ready to change pens they will go into a Pilot box and lie on their sides after I have flushed them clean...

I have never had one of my pens leak if set nib down and you are not going to do any damage to the click mechanism by just letting it rest nib up...

If you have a habit of clicking the mechanism like some people to do ballpoint pens you may wear it out faster...

......the spring is rather firm and the weight of the pen is far too low to even move the top button at all!........

+1 from personal experience.

I store mine in a penvelope case that travels with me nib up and when I get to my office they all lay horizontal while I rotate their use throughout the day

Bob

"The fountain pen is mightier than the ballpoint"

My Blog: www.MyPenNeedsInk.com

I use a Penvelope and 20 pen case from Franklin-Christoph and love both. Position of the pen is almost completely useless when considering storage.

http://www.venganza.org/images/fsm.png