Advice On Lamy Dialog 3 Purchase (Nib Dry Out Issue)

Bwassung

What's everyone's opinion on the dry out of the D3?

Most of the reviews I've read here are good. It seems to be only an occasional issue. Sometimes people say it's only an issue if it's been a few days since writing. If it only dries after a couple days that's not an issue, I plan to write with it daily.

The rest of the pen is perfect. I love the weight and balance, design, and love how smooth Lamy nibs are.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bwassung

• Scampo

• darkknight

• gerigo

What, no one replied? There's no Lamy forum? Well, here's a bump and if it doesn't work try the Misc forum.

Haha, I hope that no one replying wasn't because this isn't the right area.

Most of the stuff I see was from 2ish years ago, figured by now the D3 has gotten out more so more people would have a new perspective.

I've been reading the dry out issues seem to be more ink related.

I've had a D3 since Christmas and happily I can report that if you use the pen on a regular basis (every 2-3 days) you should have no problems with the nib drying out. It does of course vary from pen to pen and ink to ink, but imho if you make sure you've closed the pen properly it should be good to you!

Glad to hear you're enjoying the pen,

Leeski

My experience has been that it's only a problem with sitting over a week, which isn't really ideal for any pen under any circumstances. The sealing mechanism isn't quite as tight as a VP and certainly not as a traditional cap, but it's workable for most situations.

good to hear the issue isnt that bad.

I only plan on having a few pens, so all of them will get used daily.

I was considering the 2k, but the D3 going for 208 seemed a decent price, and i already know i like the nib on a D3. The 2k nib Ive yet to write with.

*giggity*

• 3 weeks later...

I just put my D3 down to hop onto FPN just to post this comment...

It seems to me a number of years back I posted a review (or at least a few questions) about this very issue...Bought one, constantly dried out (within hours). Sent it to Lamy, they "changed the feed and made a few other corrections" sent it back, same problems. I sent i it back again and they gave me a completely new one. Same problems.

I sold it or gave it away a couple years ago. I have always loved the concept of this pen and about four months ago, couldn't resist and bought another one here on FPN from someone who had never used it once—"way too big." I am SO pleased to say that this pen has performed absolutely flawlessly! It is hands down my favourite office / work pen. I can put it down for a week and there is absolutely zero hesitation. Same ink as before. I picked up a black EF nib ($13) from Goulet Pens (I think it looks WAY better on the black D3, polished it up and it's butter smooth and just, fantastic for quick-draw notes in the office.

So, moral of the story; You can get lucky with these, or maybe it's more about getting a "newer" one...

I bought a used one a while back and it had some issues with the twist mechanism. I contacted Lamy and they told me to send it in. After they got it they informed me that the mechanism was faulty and sent me an entirely new pen. I know it was wholly new because when disassembled it looked different. The first one the threaded part that went into the front part was a little longer and had a rubber seal looking thing. The one they sent back is shorter and doesn't have that seal. I don't know which of the two is the newer design, I know they changed it shortly after releasing the D3, but this one operates flawlessly and I love the pen.

As for nib dry out, I've never experienced it really. The pen always writes right away, though I use it several times throughout the day. I do notice that sometimes the ink is darker for the first word or two, but I fiddle with the pen throughout the day, opening and closing the pen a little bit so that's why. I still haven't had any issues with true dry out though.

I wouldn't put iron gall ink in the pen ever though, just to be safe. As long as the inks are regular inks I think it's a non-issue. If you like using iron gall inks then I think this isn't the pen for you just because they can really damage the pen if it does dry out. Other inks will come loose with a good soaking if you happen to forget the pen for a while.

Hope that helps.

When I used Lamy black ink cartridges in the pen, it was always dry and hard to start. Switch to Lamy blue, no problems at all....

I am a little disappointed with my D3. True the nib is beautifully smooth but since day 1 the mechanism to cover the nib after use has been unreliable. Most times it works but once or twice in every 10 attempts it either fails to engage or only partly engages. As a result I don't use it much.I might of course have a one off dud. I have a number of Lamy pens which write and work beautifully.The mechanism on the Pilot VP is much better although obviously the pens are very different.

• 6 months later...

Coming to this a bit late, but this may be useful info to others.

I purchased my original D3 about two years ago, Never have had a dry start problem, using Lamy or Noodler's (Polar Blue, Starry Night Blue, Luxury Blue), but did run into recurring problems with the twist mechanism becoming hard to operate, and then desynchronizing of the nib carriage, door and clip retraction. Three times the pen went back to Lamy, and three times it came back with the pen tech's note "Your nib on new pen." On all four pens the rear body had/has the rubber ring.

The pen is my favorite writer, but its problems peeved me. After letting the locked-up #3 sit in the pen caddy for a number of months, I finally sent it off to Lamy for another your-nib-on-new-pen. I also emailed the pen tech for advice on what I might be doing wrong; he advised me that, because of the precision of the mechanism, I should clean it weekly by flushing the nib and soaking the section in water ("it won't harm it"). I had rinsed the sections, finishing with distilled water, to no avail.

When I felt the mechanism catching on #4, I did something that I hadn't thought to do before: Remove the nib, reassemble the section and body, and twist it to the open position so i could peer into the thing and dope out how it worked. The pen's operation depends upon a rotating collar whose gear teeth engage the door and actuate it, and whose profile moves the clip; and upon a carriage sleeve that carries the nib forward and back. I also noticed a distinct spring-green substance in the sleeve teeth, which I suspect is a non-grease lubricating paste.

So, surmising that the pen's problems were due to rotating or sliding parts binding, I poked some lube paste into the collar gears, and used a QTip to lubricate the raceway in which the carriage sleeve travels. And that ended the desynchronization problems. The D3 now opens and closes like butter. With each infrequent rinsing I inspect the pen's moving parts to ensure the lube has stayed put, and isn't contaminated with grit.

The D3 is a great pen, but its mechanism needs some maintenance.

No time too tight, no task too tall

With feet to fire and back to wall.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting message, Rastus.

I have mine for some 3 years now, but it has not been in rotation for more than 2 years. I love the pen when it writes. The nib is super smooth. But it dries out very quickly, even when I close it carefully. Sometimes I have starting problems within half an hour.

I have been wanting to take it out again, but for my type of writing (short bursts of note-taking) these problems are not good.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• 2 years later...

Mine is a few weeks old and just this last week has begun drying out after even a day, needing to be refilled to get it writing smoothly again. It's currently back with the dealer but, for £275.00, I'm feeling very unhappy. My Pilot, Lamy Safari and Faber Castell never dry out.

Scampo

Most all retracting nib pens dry out much faster than regular capped pens so it's a little unfair of a comparison. I have a fascination with retracting nib pens and have quite a few of them. If you want a very efficient retracting nib pen, Pilots are the best. The Vanishing Points, Fermos and Decimos. After the tweaking the pen for almost 50 years, Pilot has finally refined the design to a point where the pen does not dry out with regular use. But even then, if you keep a Pilot VP unused side by side with a Platinum or a Sailor, chances are that even the Pilot VP will dry out and the Platinums and the Sailors will continue to write.

If you're really partial to the Dialog 3 design, then try and get the latest versions with the lacquer finish. It has been reported they have improved mechanisms that prevent the nib from drying out as quickly. Also make sure to twist it firmly to make sure the pen is completely closed. Most people are too gentle with the pen and don't close the spherical cap completely.

Edited by gerigo

Thank you for replying. My Lamy is (I believe) the latest design, called "piano black". The problem is that it dries now after even a day (or at the most two) and cannot easily be re-started without being filled again (i.e. flushed through with ink). I cannot cope with that - it renders it unusable, really. The Pilot I have is the VR or "capless" as it's called over here. It has the gold nib and, so far, has never failed to write cleanly. It has its own issues, as I've mentioned in another thread. I was expecting it to be smoother than it is, and whilst it is not scratchy at all, there is a genuine friction and even squeaky sound from it in use. That said, I have to say it is "characterful" and I do enjoy writing with it. I'm expecting it to become smoother with use. Until the problem with the Lamy, it was significantly smoother than the Pilot (although, despite being another "medium" it is broader than the Pilot. It was much less characterful than the Pilot).

I was thinking of getting a Pelikan, also (M600) but keep reading such glowing reviews of the Platinum and Sailor! Your comments are pushing me in that direction.

Edited by Scampo

• 4 years later...

Hi! Replying super late. Came across this thread while searching for solving problem with my Lamy Dialog 3.

I bought the pen in August 2014, and it was working fine until end of 2015. It then started running dry, could hardly manage to write half a page. Gave it the dealer in June 2016, they got back to me saying that the nib needs replacement, and it has to come from Germany, and as the nib wasn't covered under warranty they quoted a price of about 1/3 the cost of the pen. I wasn't quite satisfied with the 'nib damage' explanation, and so took the pen back. It stayed in its box, unused till last week (August 2020).

I stumbled upon a video 'Disassembly Line Lamy Dialog 3' posted by sbrebrown on YouTube, while searching for tips on cleaning my Pilot Vanishing Point. I followed the instructions in the video, disassembled my Lamy Dialog 3, soaked in water for about an hour, flushed it with running water. Lot of dried ink residue and sediments came out. I kept flushing and cleaning until no ink or stains came, allowed it dry, then reassembled it.

Now, it writes just like when it was new, no drying up, no issues at all.

I am unable to really express how happy I am, and all thanks to a simple video posted by a pen lover.

Edited by darkknight

As mentioned by several others, the Dialog3 is more sensitive to dry-out than ‘normal’ pens. There seem to be three things you can do to keep the pen writing reliably:

1-use it as much as possible (avoid >48hrs of non-use, shorter in some climates)

2-use a wet ink (I use Sailor Shikiori Yonaga in mine and rarely have issues)

3-flush and clean the pen between every 2 or 3 refills (depending on climate and usage)

Whether or not the pen is worth the hassle is a personal consideration. I’ve never regretted buying mine.