Pininfarina Carbongrafite For Visconti Limited Edition Fountain Pen

Bryant

I believe that Visconti is creating the most innovative fountain pens on the market right now but if you take risks you will have to make a few duds. I have not had a chance to use one but from what I have read it sounds like a dud. They seem to have forgotten that form needs to fit function. They were so preoccupied with making a cool looking pen that they regressed and made a pen that requires a `cartridge`. Beautiful tools have to still have do the job.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RMN

• raging.dragon

• Dj Shift

• olivier78860

I like the idea of these fountain pens with retractable nibs.

But something has to be done about their giant and incredibly badly-placed clips before I consider buying one.

But honestly, when I see the Pilot Capless pens at around 200€, I wouldn't even think about getting the same thing for 1300$. It's not like carbon fiber costs a lot.

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

Does it take special equipment to work with carbon fiber?

Probably.

There are several brands that have produced a carbonfiber SE/LE, always more expensive.

Current is the St Dupont Defi, normal version around 340EUR, carbon 500EUR.

If it is really more difficult, or it's just a gimmick to call it LE and ask 150% I don't know.

You could ask one of the engineers here on the forum.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Can't really imagine the materials being the cause of high prices, so much as the name and cost of manufacturing. That said, why does VISCONTI seem more obvious than pininfarina... and the same clip they've used on so many, many pens? Hmmm. Compare to the OMAS Maserati. Nuf said. But then again, this pen costs much less than did the Maser by OMAS. But strictly from a design standpoint, I wish VISCONTI had let pininfarina shine a little more than they did (and taken the time to give it a unique clip).

Edited by Bultaco

Well, I like this type of clip, and it is sort of a signature for Visconti.

And I like the way Pininfarina has merged the clip into his design. I mean, that is what makes a good design good: incorporating function and certain given facts into the overall picture.

D.ick

~

~

Carbon fiber is indeed more expensive than simple resin, but most - if not all - pen makers, outsource the carbon fiber parts to a Swiss company, which name I have forgotten.

Note that this pen isn't made from carbon fibre. It's made from graphite. Machining graphite requires special equipment for collecting the copious amounts of dust generated, which would add to the manufacturing cost. However, I'd guess that Pinifarina charge premium prices for their designs, and with both the material and retractable nib mechanism both being novel for Visconti there was probably significant time, money and effort put into research and development.

Carbon fiber is indeed more expensive than simple resin, but most - if not all - pen makers, outsource the carbon fiber parts to a Swiss company, which name I have forgotten.

Visconti previously worked with Carbon Dream, though I'm not certain where they're based.

Pure graphite is what was used to make pencil leads (the term of lead coming from the historical pencil, which was a lead rod). It's far too soft and breakable to be used "as is". Other minerals are added to graphite in order not to break so easily in modern pencils.

I am pretty convinced this pen is made of carbon fiber (there is no shiny cristaline aspect), but with a different molecular structure (different polymerisation from the usual grey/black checkered pattern). It might be far more expensive than the usual one, but still, we're talking about a few euros or maybe a little more.

You can read more about carbon fiber here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_(fiber)

"The atomic structure of carbon fiber is similar to that of graphite, consisting of sheets of carbon atoms (graphene sheets) arranged in a regular hexagonal pattern. The difference lies in the way these sheets interlock.

[...]

Depending upon the precursor to make the fiber, carbon fiber may be turbostratic or graphitic, or have a hybrid structure with both graphitic and turbostratic parts present. In turbostratic carbon fiber the sheets of carbon atoms are haphazardly folded, or crumpled, together. Carbon fibers derived from Polyacrylonitrile (PAN) are turbostratic, whereas carbon fibers derived from mesophase pitch are graphitic after heat treatment at temperatures exceeding 2200 °C. Turbostratic carbon fibers tend to have high tensile strength, whereas heat-treated mesophase-pitch-derived carbon fibers have high Young's modulus (i.e., high stiffness or resistance to extension under load) and high thermal conductivity."

Edited by olivier78860

Note that this pen isn't made from carbon fibre. It's made from graphite. Machining graphite requires special equipment for collecting the copious amounts of dust generated, which would add to the manufacturing cost. However, I'd guess that Pinifarina charge premium prices for their designs, and with both the material and retractable nib mechanism both being novel for Visconti there was probably significant time, money and effort put into research and development.

Visconti previously worked with Carbon Dream, though I'm not certain where they're based.

You are mistaken.

Visconti has already pens with retractile nib: the Metropolis.

D.ick

~

~

A pen whose individual close up photos are appealing, with very nice detailing, which does not hold together taken as a whole.

Well, it just appeared on the site of my favourite B&M shop. :yikes: 1500EUR.

I think I'll pass this time. Another pen I would have like out of reach (the other being the Classic Pens LR6. :bawl:

I think I need to win the lottery.....

D.ick

~

~

• 1 month later...

Beautiful pen on feel and looks. Finally a pen that has a nice holder that can be used daily on a desk. Writes HORRIBLY!! There is too much weight on top of the writing point (roller ball or fountain pen). Unless you physically lift the pen up after each letter there will be a stroke mark. printing looks like script. The turning barrel swivels too much, very annoying when writing. Not impressed as a functional pen. Great for display. I am a huge fan of Visconti but the functionality of this pen is not up to their excellent standards.

Is the door for the nib not centered properly? The pictures that show its movement look like the door is a skewed off center...

I am one who used to think anything other than the slim S.T. Dupont Classique line, which came way before all this, was too large and ostentatious. Then some of the larger pens grew on me. I am always amazed at how one can come out with novelties in such a simple item as a pen.

The Pilot Vanishing Points and Fermo's all have impeccable nibs, which is more than I can say for Mont Blanc. They are practical and reasonably priced.

For me one important issue is that it's rare to find pens which don't dry out. Pelikan is one company whose pens are often ready to write months later. The other is I wont buy non cartridge pens which do not have an ink window, because you cant really take them out. Many present Mont Blanc pens, unlike the old ones do not have that and no matter how nice they may be, that detail makes them obsolete. I questioned the company and no one had an answer.

The concept of the retractable nib is definitely not new, so that's a lot to pretend.

The Lamy which became the luxury retractable nib is too unreliable as it dries quickly, especially if the mechanism is not correctly closed. The Fermo which functions like the Lamy is more reliable than both the Lamy and Vanishing Point.

This new Visconti Pininfarina which I have not yet received, I found very attractive in its technical appearance. I don't find it gaudy. Normally I wouldn't buy a pen associated with a car. This one however seems different, technically elegant, and solid. Also the fact that it has a cartridge system is definitely practical since it has not ink window.

So until I try it, I find it quite appealing, and definitely not showy. Besides most people don't really get that impressed over pens in the US. Elsewhere, maybe.

I am in love with this pen!

But i guess that's because i also loved the Pininfarina cars.

I just wish i had enough money to buy one of each (pen and a Ferrari).

By the way, this is my first post on the website.

:W2FPN:

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

I guess that's the sentiment with most of us.... Pretty but not for us poor beggars.....

And :W2FPN:

D.ick

~

~