Resist! How Do You Hold Off The Next Purchase?

Bigeddie

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JotterAddict62

• hari317

• 79spitfire

• Sudhir

I received a letter today from HughesNet stating that the satellite transponder that my connection uses is ending on 10-31-13. I could let it terminate and go back to dialup. Who am I kidding I called to get the free Gen4 upgrade for free so i can share and learn from the FPN and keep buying more pens that I don't have.

There are three expensive pens I started a savings account for. I may fall out of love with them by the time I can afford them. Meanwhile it's new ink and paper on payday for me!

"Ravens play with lost time."

I find it easy

1. Have a pen buying strategy that forces you not to buy any old tat

2. Have a budget and only spend money allocated to the pen fund

3. Don't go aimlessly searching eBay looking for pens or anything for that matter as you will always find things that tempt you

Spot on there BrandonA, I totally agree. I try to not browse eBay nowadays as I find I end up buying pens that was not initially what I wanted. I find that I have bought a lot of extra cheaper-ish pens that are not my target/grail pens (nice as they are). From now on, it's gonna be pick 1 target and save for that and buy that when the time comes, and not get distracted by other pens in the meanwhile, otherwise I realize I end up finding myself with quite a few nice pens, but not the ones I truly wanted initially.

A pen budget? Every month I put a fixed amount of cash into the pen box. That's your budget - so If I put £10 a month away, I could afford to buy a nice Japanese Mak-e fountain pen at the end of the year, unless I buy another pen in the meantime,

I'd love to know where you can find a nice Japanese Maki-e pen for 120pounds..

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

For me all I had to do was to follow this simple formula:

1. Have greedy people crash the U.S. Economy in late 2008

2. Become unemployed at an advanced age as economy crashes

3. Have 401(k) evaporate as investments sour

4. Have a dependent

5. Need to pay for shelter, food, clothing and transportation

And with all of that I was able to resist buying more fountain pens and ink. I do have quite enough of both, however, and I should feel glad that I will probably not need to buy any more of either for the rest of my life, but I do miss being able to do so. :doh:

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Tutuguans/IMAG0453-1_zps13ff712e.jpg Edited by GClef

Get the best pen u can afford, one that u really want.. It is often cheaper than buying many so so pens that wont hold your interest

I only buy a pen if I have some extra money. Most of the ones I want are way out of my price range anyway- well, three of them anyway... ("If it costs more than a flat screen TV or a laptop, don't get it. Your wife will kill and divorce you.") I've been buying the cheap fountain pens so I don't carry the $100+ ones around. I've done well in getting used pens for reasonable prices ($50-$75). Still, my wife gives me the stink eye if I spend $30 on anything...

<p><span style="font-size:18px;">"And the final score is No TARDIS, no screwdriver, two minutes to spare. Who da Man!?! (long silence) I am never saying that again. Fine."- The Doctor </span>

NEVER order a pen late at night, and definitely not in the early hours of the morning. At least sleep on it.

And then order a pen that you have to wait a long time for.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Have you been successful in averting, or significantly delaying, the next in a long line of purchases? If so, what have you done to push it back?

Talked to a poor person who is in need of money.

Visited a widow with two kids.

Remembered my parents.

Greetings,

Michael

I try to buy pens that add a unique feature to my collection and I know a pen won't transform me or my writing.

For instance, a TWSBI 580 1.1 stub was my first demonstrator and first stub nib. I know buying more stubs or more demonstrators wouldn't really add anything, for me. I would still be the same person, taking notes at work and scribbling or journaling at home. I would still fuss over my handwriting, trying to make it perfect. I would still find it difficult to take my time, sit down and write more letters to penpals.

Sure, that same 580 has gotten me interested in a cursive italic, perhaps a bit smaller, like 1.0 or 0.9 mm. I've seen great pictures of Nakaya pens, beautifully crafted tools. But I know that after buying my Nakaya, I will not be a better writer, in any sense of the word.

That at least helps postpone a purchase.

Edited by pmhudepo

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

I only buy a pen if I have some extra money. Most of the ones I want are way out of my price range anyway- well, three of them anyway... ("If it costs more than a flat screen TV or a laptop, don't get it. Your wife will kill and divorce you.") I've been buying the cheap fountain pens so I don't carry the $100+ ones around. I've done well in getting used pens for reasonable prices ($50-$75). Still, my wife gives me the stink eye if I spend $30 on anything...

Yes, I am helped in staying anchored by my significant other. I'd have to spend an awful lot though to get divorced and killed. I don't think it can be done in the reverse order :rolleyes: .

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

How do I avoid making purchases? I have a wife.

I need to get me one of them things. ;)

My husband races bikes competitively. He's absolutely no help to curbing my pen buying. He typically says 'hey, it's 2% of what my last (fill in bike accessory) cost, go for it'!

Seriously though, I've found a few things that help me delay gratification somewhat.

I tell myself to wait for a low price (and write down what that price is)... Then i comb ebay or my fave pen sellers looking for that price or lower.

I satisfy the immediate craving by buying a very cheap Chinese pen(or pens) to practice tweaking or grinding on, or a new bottle of ink, or some other accessory.

I go compare prices or look at reviews and other options of similar pens or other pens in the same price point.

I trawl the marketplace forum on this and other pen fora...

I also have other hobbies, so substituting beads or wool or a fabric purchase or even a nice lunch out can sort of distract me from a looming pen purchase.

Having written that down, it sounds like I have more of a problem than I think I have :lol:

Heck, why not just give in if you've got the disposable income to go for it... then go for it! Think about how many people in the pen manufacturing industry and sales that you'll be keeping in business to protect our beloved hobby for the rest of us! It's practically a public service!

It's gotten easier for me to resist acquiring yet another pen.

But the first thing I do when Teri adds a lovely Sheaffer to her shop is go count my Sheaffers.

There are too many to carry or to use and enjoy at any one moment. Surely, that's enough.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

I opened a fixed savings acc. So my purchases have to be more spaced out and frugal.

Please call me Nathan. It is a pleasure to meet you.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

How do I hold off getting new pens? Hmmm....

Most of the time it is pretty easy, because I don't have the founds for the desired pen :D

What my mind says:
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/forever-no.gif

And what my heart does:
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/oh-goodie.gif

Most of the time my brain wins.
- I set up a budget what I need to stay under(!). $150 or lower.

- Always check my current pens and see if I have one what I would not mind parting with and it usually goes up for sale.
If there isn't any, then I usually don't get a new one either.

- Try to avoid impulse buys, or buying a pen just because the price is good or a bargain.

The last one works great for me.

Just to prove that is works great:
Now I'm planning to get a Pelikan M800 Tortoise, because it looks great and is a limited production pen. ✓✓

:headsmack:

Edited by attika89

Sell stuff from other hobbies. I recently sold a nice German Anschutz .22 target rifle, which funded my entry into this alternate universe.