Delta Fusion Nibs

art8283

I hate to be a downer but I should mention that I have tried both a stub nib and a medium an neither worked at all for me. I am returning the second one now to whom I ordered it. I am very disappointed since this is the first and second time I've ordered a pen online and had a problem. I have several TWSBI pens, six different Montblancs and two Montegrappas, Lamys etc and a handful of vintage FPs but I just ordered a Delta Fusion 82 (twice now) and I just couldn't get it to work. I am certainly am not one to go on an Internet forum and complain about anything but this one a chapped my hide.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• raging.dragon

• Ursus

• watch_art

• Tonkus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hate to be a downer but I should mention that I have tried both a stub nib and a medium an neither worked at all for me. I am returning the second one now to whom I ordered it. I am very disappointed since this is the first and second time I've ordered a pen online and had a problem. I have several TWSBI pens, six different Montblancs and two Montegrappas, Lamys etc and a handful of vintage FPs but I just ordered a Delta Fusion 82 (twice now) and I just couldn't get it to work. I am certainly am not one to go on an Internet forum and complain about anything but this one a chapped my hide.

I liked the stub myself, so I am interested to know what exactly was wrong for you.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I liked the stub myself, so I am interested to know what exactly was wrong for you.

D.ick

I couldn't get either one to flow.

I understand you sold them both. Did you consider sending them to a nibmeister?

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I suppose that it is extremely rude to say that everything in Italy looks gorgeous but that functionality is quite another matter. (Like it has been a habit to say among many Italians: It hasn't worked properly since Mussolini. A lack of functionality might have been a small price to pay for the change in politics, though.)

Even if it doesn't work well it sure looks good. And if it works well one should welcome the luck. I really like the idea of a cool steel nib in exchange for all that gold that we usually buy.

Good for you to be a Danish, then........

I think your view of Italy is quite semplicistic.

Not far from "pizza, mafia and spaghetti" which for some people resume the italian culture, while we have over 2000 years of written history behind us.

But of course everybody os happy with what it has.

I started with a stub - LOVED it - and then bought an 82 and still love it. No problems out of the box. Great flow, great looks, great pens. Sorry for your experience.

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Good for you to be a Danish, then........

I think your view of Italy is quite semplicistic.

No, not at all; we don't make any fountain pens in Denmark. You can't even buy them here (or almost). What's good about that?

Please notice that I did actually praise Italian design. And don't make the mistake to think that I have no knowledge of Italian culture - that would be somewhat inexcusable, taking the huge impact and importance of Italian history, language and culture into account. And not one bad word about pasta either. Who would want to live in a world without Cicero, Virgil, Ovid, Dante, Petrarca, Giotto, Michelangelo, da Vinci, Raffaello, Caravaggio, Botticelli, Puccini, Verdi, Rossini and Donizetti anyway? And that's just to mention a few.

I got one because I thought it was a very attractive pen, but found the nib a bit scratchy and squeaky. I was able to tune it up a bit, but still was a bit disappointed overall with the Fusion's performance.

I've got the Fusion Stub nib in Delta Fusion One LE Turchese Celluloid (by Chatterley Pens).

post-104511-0-45461500-1385188789.jpg

I have opposite experience which is a bit of problem for me. The nib is very smooth when I hold the pen at 55-60 degree angle - that's my usual hold. Strange thing is the drier the nib (it dries a bit after 3/4 of a page) the smoother it gets. Empty pen is even smoother. How it can be? Some welcome, light not-smoothiness is shown when I hold the pen at 45 degree but it's not comfortable for me.

Edited by VRT

Hahahaha... bunk science. Gold certainly conducts heat better than stainless, and heating a liquid up does decrease its viscosity. However, where is this heat coming from? and if gold conducting to stainless is good, why not just skip the stainless and conduct directly with gold?! By george! We are on to something! Quick.... wait a minute...

For what it's worth, it makes for an interesting nib, but I don't think the science is quite sound on this one...

Can someone put an ohmmeter to the steel and gold and see if they are electrically connected?

They would have to be, I suppose. At least it would be very difficult to keep the materials apart.

What we really need is for Delta to give us a scientific paper stating exactly how this should work and how it has been shown to work in an actual experiment. Until they produce such a paper I won't believe a word they are saying. But I might buy a pen with such a nib anyway as I find them rather pretty and quite interesting to look at and think about.

You should read the article. It may be the answer you are looking for.

http://en.wikipedia....vanic_corrosion

The thing I would worry about is corrosion of the steel nib. If the nib is working as a battery then the steel would be consumed. The ink would probably make a fair electrolyte but I would think that in operation the ink doesn't reach the gold/ steel interface. To keep the corrosion from happening you can electrically isolate the two metals. Are they electrically connected? I'm going to have to buy one just to see if I can make it put out 0.5 Volts.

Did you ever make a battery out of a lemon in school?

http://www.energyquest.ca.gov/projects/lemon.html

...I would think that in operation the ink doesn't reach the gold/ steel interface. To keep the corrosion from happening you can electrically isolate the two metals.

I expect the two metals to be in direct contact with one another, unisolated but also without any ink between them.

Personally I would expect that the steel is far more likely to be corroded by the ink itself than by the additional presence of gold.

Pelikan use a second metal to keep the gold nib in place and apparently that has not caused any problems.

Pelikan use a second metal to keep the gold nib in place and apparently that has not caused any problems.

I would be curious to see the arrangement if you could link a picture.

I didn't see any spot welds on the fusion nib so I'm wondering if the gold is glued on. In which case they may be isolated.

I would be curious to see the arrangement if you could link a picture.

I didn't see any spot welds on the fusion nib so I'm wondering if the gold is glued on. In which case they may be isolated.

Here are some Pelikan pictures http://www.pelikanpens.co.uk/acatalog/Pelikan_nibs.html but I have to correct myself a little - there is actually a thin piece of non-metal between the gold and the other metal (I just disassembled the Pelikan on my desk to be sure).

The use of glue would be interesting...

Anyway, would it not work without direct contact between the metals?...

Manufacturers are careful about not putting dissimilar metals together. My guess is that the gold and steel are isolated unless that is the desired effect. Ink would probably conduct. Maybe if you use it as a dip pen you really get the slight warming of the nib as the ink conducts between the gold and SS.