Cross Ballpoint Pens

max dog

I put a Cross ballpoint pen and pencil set up for grabs in the Pay it Forward thread today. I would like the set to go to someone who will enjoy/appreciate it. If you're interested, check out the PIF post.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• max dog

• bunny roller

• Chthulhu

• RMN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I have an old gold classic century pen and and pencil set given to me as best man for a college room-mates wedding, back around 1968 or so. This thread got me to polish them up; looking through a magnifying glass, I believe it says "1/20 12KT gold filled", does that sound right? If so, what does the 1/20 signify?

I think it is a measure for the thickness of the goldlayer.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

It means the layer of gold makes up 1/20 or 5% of the total thickness of the cap/barrel.

For something to be called gold filled, it must be minimum 1/20 thickness of the metal.

The only ballpoint I've ever hung on to (and the only one I use regularly - also the only one I've used enough to require refills) is an ATX. It was a birthday gift from a very dear friend about six years ago, and it reminds me of her - it's also a very nice little writer, and I do like the way they feel in the hand.

post-2411-0-43327400-1377057188_thumb.jpgThis is a favorite slim Cross BP, the Metropolis, in Black/Gunmetal finish. Photo does not truly show the pen's good looks. I've acquired a few of these. They are slightly easier to grip than the Century 1, due to the ridges along the body.

Edited by WriteAway

I like the Century. Great memories of writing my hand off taking notes and cramping on the narrow pen. The nice mechanism does say quality. I liked them and had several kinds. For a while these pens were the badge of bourgeois pomposity before the office crowd moved on to Montblancs. I still like them and like to use my 14K Century set. I've had it for about forty years now. :cloud9:

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Will Cross ever create a gel-ballpoint refill? IMO, it would be superior to traditional ballpoint ink, which I've always found to be too thick and like writing with axle grease. But the other makers' gel-ballpoint refills are as smooth as a well-tuned fountain pen's performance.

I see the new Click more as a BP than a RB.

I see the new Click more as a BP than a RB.

But with a gel/hybrid refill that is problematic with some papers, notably Rite-In-The-Rain notebooks and thermal-paper receipts. A couple of pieces of polyethylene tubing of different sizes and a Sheaffer refill solved those issues, though.

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

But with a gel/hybrid refill that is problematic with some papers, notably Rite-In-The-Rain notebooks and thermal-paper receipts. A couple of pieces of polyethylene tubing of different sizes and a Sheaffer refill solved those issues, though.

quite right. personally, I don't like it. it's good to know about the sheaffer refill with some sort of adapter... thanx!

quite right. personally, I don't like it. it's good to know about the sheaffer refill with some sort of adapter... thanx!

First step is to carefully shave the OD of the refill's end plug so that it's no larger in diameter than the refill's body. This allows it to move freely in the pen's barrel without hanging up on the edges inside.

Next, two small pieces of material are required:

.125" OD x ~.520" long rigid tubing (plastic, brass, whatever) or rod (bamboo skewer?). This is inserted into the hole in the clicker to allow it to reach the shorter Sheaffer refill.

This diameter just sticks in the hole without forcing it.

.200" OD x .125"+ ID x ~.150 long tubing. This fits over the tip of the Sheaffer refill to adjust the shoulder and allow the pen's spring to reach with sufficient pressure. Mine's about .130" ID and sits loose on the refill, but it works.

That's all.

Mike Hungerford

got a new one... Fisher Space pen pressurized refill with a 12mm tubing, like the one that comes with the Fisher 1-for-all refill. it fits lose right over the refill and inside the cap of the "Click" pen.

Good call! I just used 12mm cut from the shipping cap of a Montblanc refill for the same purpose, and it worked perfectly.

Also, the Montblanc refill drops right into a Retro 51 Tornado. :-)

Mike Hungerford

Good call! I just used 12mm cut from the shipping cap of a Montblanc refill for the same purpose, and it worked perfectly.

Also, the Montblanc refill drops right into a Retro 51 Tornado. :-)

crazy! you know what works in a MB classic BP?... the Sharpie liquid pencil refill!! ... sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.

Now if I can just find a substitute for a Waterman's "Tank Car" refill, I'll be happy

the only thing I can think of is to use those Fisher 1-for-all refills.

the only thing I can think of is to use those Fisher 1-for-all refills.

Unfortunately, the tip portion is too short. It's the right diameter, but the pen's mechanism has a long travel, and the shoulder of the 1-For-All hits the inside of the pen's tip before it can actuate. A Sheaffer refill would probably work if I can reduce its tip OD, but it's been too hot here to tinker with the lathe lately, so that experiment will have to wait a little longer.

Mike Hungerford