The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Visconti Vs. Stipula

visconti stipula rollerball

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 brianlg

brianlg

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2013 - 23:52

I'm about to buy my first "fine" pen. I'm wanting a rollerball now, my everyday pen. One that I can carry with me everywhere.

I have my eyes set on two different pens. I was wondering if anyone here can give me advice, pros/cons of each, and hopefully hear from people who own one of the models.

Visconti Surrealist Salvador Dali - Brown Rollerball Pen

Stipula Etruria Celluloid Rollerball - Amber

any advice would be appreciated!

Sponsored Content

#2 Penne Stilografiche

Penne Stilografiche

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 00:37

To me all rollerball pens write the same, fountain pens on the other hand act differently writing wise from brand to brand. When buying a rollerball, the only factors you need to look at are the design and the price. If I were to pick between the two I would go with the Stipula.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

#3 Penne Stilografiche

Penne Stilografiche

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 00:38

Also, :W2FPN:

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

#4 John254

John254

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:20

To me all rollerball pens write the same, fountain pens on the other hand act differently writing wise from brand to brand. When buying a rollerball, the only factors you need to look at are the design and the price. If I were to pick between the two I would go with the Stipula.

Agree ! I only use rollerball or ball point pens for my job. If I write something personal, I must use fountain pens. 

#5 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:59

Tyr the stip eritruria, you won't get disappointed

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#6 brianlg

brianlg

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2013 - 17:29

thanks guys. Sad to hear most rollerballs are the same, but yes this is mainly for work and carrying around in my portfolio.

I will probably buy the stipula, or maybe buy a cheaper rb and spend the money on a nice fountain pen for personal use.

now I am unsure what to do

#7 brianlg

brianlg

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2013 - 14:40

one more question: does putting a gel refill in a ballpoint change anything about the pen? Would it write more like a rb?

#8 jkingrph

jkingrph

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2013 - 16:20

one more question: does putting a gel refill in a ballpoint change anything about the pen? Would it write more like a rb?

I think so. I put some gel refillis in a couple of Pelikan ballpoints, and it gives a much smoother feel like a rollerball.  I actually prefer them to a standard ballpoint refill, although I do not expect them to last as long.

Regards

Jeff

#9 Susanna

Susanna

il meglio del Made in Italy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:06

The Stipula Etruria is quite larger than the Visconti Van Gogh (or Dali, which is the same model and size).

The Visconti is slender and regular-size, while the Stipula is definitely a large size pen.

Moreover, the Stipula Amber (or Ambrosia, or AlterEgo) is made in celluloid, while the Visconti is resin.

Susanna
----------
Giardino Italiano, il meglio del Made in Italy - www.giardino.it - www.pens.it

My Facebook page
My Blog:  blog.giardino.it

#10 Heliotrope

Heliotrope

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2013 - 14:34

The Stipula Etruria is quite larger than the Visconti Van Gogh (or Dali, which is the same model and size).

The Visconti is slender and regular-size, while the Stipula is definitely a large size pen.

Moreover, the Stipula Amber (or Ambrosia, or AlterEgo) is made in celluloid, while the Visconti is resin.

I own a Stipula Etruria Rainbow (acrylic) FP and a Visconti Van Gogh FP.  Susanna is absolutely right about the size differences in pens.  The Etruria is the largest pen that I own.  I don't post it due to its size.  It has a noticeably large diameter, so it took some getting used to for long writing sessions.  When people notice it, they frequently comment on the size.  The Van Gogh, on the other hand, can be posted without looking strange, and the diameter is normal.  I wrote with it naturally from the beginning.  When people notice it, they comment on the beautiful color of the resin.

Both are wonderful pens.  If nib performance is not an issue (they have dramatically different nibs), then I would recommend considering what shape pens you prefer holding, how long you write per writing session, and which you think is more aesthetically pleasing.

#11 brianlg

brianlg

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2013 - 23:40

ended up purchasing the Stipula Etruria Ambra. Hope that I will get it soon. I realize it is larger than the visconti, so hopefully it wont be a burden. But for me, the etruria looked much more beautiful!

#12 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2013 - 23:46

I hope you ordered the italic. These are tremendous.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, KEEP INSIDE, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#13 Heliotrope

Heliotrope

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:47

The Stipula Etrurias are gorgeous pens!  I love writing with mine.  Enjoy!

Please post again with your impressions of the pen. :thumbup:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: visconti, stipula, rollerball

Sponsored Content

|