The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

$400 Budget

new pen what to buy $400 birthday present

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mukukaduk

mukukaduk

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:15

Hi,
It's my 18th birthday soon and so my parents will probably be getting me a new pen! :D  What are some options for less than $400 AUD?
Thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 nm4

nm4

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:11

The ideal pen for you depends on your preferences.  In the price you've mentioned my favorite pen is the Pelikan m800.  I find it elegant to look at, supremely comfortable in the hand, and very smooth in nibs ranging from the EF to the Italic broad.  That said, there are so many good options in your price range.

Cheers,

NM

#3 mukukaduk

mukukaduk

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:41

Cool, I do like the pen; however I would only buy the brown tortoise shell colour personally and thats almost $500 ):   There is an m400 brown but that pen isn't as nice right?

Good point on the preferences, I'll add some here:
-Pull off cap (or not too much spinning required to take it off - max 1 spin)
-Postable
-Ideally a fine stub/italic/oblique meaning ≤1mm preferable less than. Any smooth nib will do though I guess.
-Colours I would look for: Brown, Navy blue, Grey, Demonstrator.
-Piston/vacuum/eyedropper/big capacity (converter is passable if the pen is super epic :D)

Thanks,
MR

#4 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2013 - 13:39

For around 400.00 you could get a Parker 51 vacumatic demonstrator. You need to be very careful because there are a lot of fakes or remakes out there. I would go to Ernesto Solers website. He is an authority on Parker 51's. These are vintage pens and you did not specify wether you would be open to trying vintage. This is an epic" pen. These pens hold a lot if ink, write incredibly well, are built like tanks and are just plain amazing pens.
They have hooded nibs, which means you can leave the cap off without writing for longer than you would be able to with a standard nib. They are vac fillers- which are fun to use. The cap can be posted. I think this pen meets all your criteria.
Anyway, there's my two cents.

#5 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2013 - 18:20

Lamy 2000 with a B nib, a BB nib if you can find one. They are not as broad as the rest of the Lamy nibs and they are not interchangeable. They are stubby though. I love mine and it writes forever.

Have you tried a vanising point? or a Lamy Dialog 3?

#6 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2013 - 22:47

parker duofold or a vintage osmia

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#7 JLS1

JLS1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2013 - 14:52

If it were me, I'd spend $400 to buy 2-3 pens rather than just one (and don't forget ink!). I think the advice you've been given above is good but it might also help to know what pens you've already got, which ones you like and why.

Also, do you want to buy new or would you consider used?

Edited by JLS1, 13 May 2013 - 14:55.

#8 Edwaroth

Edwaroth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2013 - 00:47

In the Pelikan line, I have a 600 and it is a wonderfully perfect pen...for many people, by the way. Around the 300USD neighborhood. I think I would look to get two or three at a cheaper price. Say, a Lamy 2000 and a Sailor Pro Gear Standard total ca. 415USD. or. A Pelikan M400 and Pilot Lucina ( two fantastic pens) for approx 350USD. I envy you the position you are in... I wish my parents were alive to buy me the pen of my dreams!

Choose wisely Grasshopper...

Edward Roth

Edited by Edwaroth, 14 May 2013 - 00:48.

#9 mukukaduk

mukukaduk

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2013 - 14:40

-I'd rather not used
-currently have: Parker IM, Sailor 1911 (M-F) <i'd prefer M for Japanese pens, nevertheless still super smooth, love it :D>, Lamy safari (f), Pilot parallel, some kit pen. My favourite is probably the sailor just because its the smoothest but I prefer a bit more stroke width (like on my lamy fine). I dont mind using pens that are for example 0.65mm italics though XD

#10 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2013 - 17:25

Here's a writing sample from my Lamy 2000 with a B nib vs a TWSBI Vac 700 with a 1.5 stub.

20130514_132231.jpg

#11 Inguz

Inguz

or something

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2013 - 16:47

You could go italian and look for an Omas or an Aurora for that price thereabouts.

#12 stevekolt

stevekolt

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2013 - 00:20

My latest "modern" acquisition has been pretty darn good...going to have to order another soon. I received an Edison Beaumont Pneumatic Filler with an EF nib. Just outstanding. I ordered my first one in "Briar Swirl Ebonite" with a two tone EF steel nib. Large ink capacity, filling is truly "hassle free", and Brian is as good as it gets when asking questions about his products. The next one will probably be ordered in Black Ebonite, with gold accents and a gold EF nib. The Signature Line Beaumont Pneumatic Filler is $350 with a steel nib, or $450 with a gold nib. The production line with a steel nib and cartridge converter is around $150. Hope this helps, and I am speaking as a consumer...no affiliation with Edison Pen Co. whatsoever...just a new fan.

#13 mukukaduk

mukukaduk

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:57

Thanks for all the suggestions, ended up going for the visconti opera elements air in fine :o After trying the dreamtouch nib instore... must have

#14 Penne Stilografiche

Penne Stilografiche

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:43

I would recommend a Stipula Etruria Casa Mila with a 14k stub nib. Pen is prices at $350 and it is a beautiful pen.193474s-Large.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new, pen, what, to, buy, $400, birthday, present

Sponsored Content

|