• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Writer01

• Tas

• raging.dragon

• mrchan

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

I heard people complaining about ink sticking to the section after dippibg the pen in an ink bottle to fill it.

After a couple of fillings the section seems to get a little ugly.

Can anybody confirm this?

Especially you Writer01 seem to refill this pen a lot :-). If you do not have this problem it probably is non!

By the way: thanks for the review, it was a pleasure to read. One can sure tell that you seem to earn your money with writing.

Hello everybody,

I heard people complaining about ink sticking to the section after dippibg the pen in an ink bottle to fill it.

After a couple of fillings the section seems to get a little ugly.

Can anybody confirm this?

Especially you Writer01 seem to refill this pen a lot :-). If you do not have this problem it probably is non!

By the way: thanks for the review, it was a pleasure to read. One can sure tell that you seem to earn your money with writing.

my brand new 25th anniversary homo sapiens steel age oversize does get this, it is slightly darker around the section where it gets dipped in ink from irohiszuku tsuki yo and visconti blue which are some of the best inks.. however it is easily cleaned off with a bit of a soak in water with the nib unit screwed out. My friend uses bay state blue in his homo sapiens ansi do not see that stain ever being removed! you must use inks that are not very water resistant if you care about the slight stain

my brand new 25th anniversary homo sapiens steel age oversize does get this, it is slightly darker around the section where it gets dipped in ink from irohiszuku tsuki yo and visconti blue which are some of the best inks.. however it is easily cleaned off with a bit of a soak in water with the nib unit screwed out. My friend uses bay state blue in his homo sapiens ansi do not see that stain ever being removed! you must use inks that are not very water resistant if you care about the slight stain

Cellulose reactive inks, like Noodler's Bulletproof and Eternal, and the new document inks from Montblanc, Graf von Faber Castell and De Atramentis, should be OK despite their waterproofness on paper (the dyes in these inks stick to the cellulose in paper in many fabrics but won't react with plastic and stone). However, it would probably be wise to avoid inks known for staining materials other than paper!

I bought mine mid 2010 with the M nib.

It was far too wet and stayed too long in the box without using!!

Now I asked to change the nib for a F one , which is much better for my writing.

They are real ink gushers!!

Price quality a superb product

The lava material is great to hold , but can change in appearance overtime

Wonderfully expressed, thoughtful and useful review. Thanks so much for sharing your experience and insight!

While my Visconti collection has expanded to eight pens, I haven't yet made the leap to the HS. Magpie-fashion, I'm more attracted to shiny pens, but the obvious uniqueness factor and well-known consumer affection are keeping me intrigued. :D

~April

One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,

see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Wow, thanks for this thorough review. It's also very nice to learn that a pro writer still uses a pen and not some electronic gadget.

Thanks for posting! :thumbup:

• 8 months later...

I have wanted this pen in the Maxi Bronze Age for years. I have 2 Visconti Van Goghs, and they always write perfectly. I have such high hopes for this pen. I finally bought one, and I am waiting for it to come in with a Medium nib. I do not write a lot for my job, but I do enjoy it. I also wanted a MB 149, but having a 144, I decided against it. I have Private Reserve DC Super Violet in my VG that I use most of the time, and Pelikan Onyx in my 144 & have it in a Sheaffer that my father bought in Germany in the 50's. I have several inks, but I am not one to change out the color of my inks very often. Once I ink a pen, although I do flush them from time to time, I keep putting the same ink back in the pen.

Therefore, I have been looking over my inks, I have about 20, to decided which ink I will use in my HSBA. I do not want to use black. I am thinking Noodler's Army Green. I like green, but not bright or flashy. I have spent more time trying to decide on the ink than I spent deciding whether or not to buy the pen. Got a small windfall of money to have repairs done on my house that I did myself. The HS is my gift to me.

I don't ever sign my name in black ink. Learned that from my attorney years ago.

1 Homo Sapien BA Maxi & Mech Pencil, HS Misnight in Florence, 2 Van Goghs 1 Blue Ocean Midi S Nib/1 Cappuccino Midi 14k Trim, 3 MBs 149/144/221, 2 Wm Phileas 1 Blue w/ mech pencil, 1 Demo, 1 Snorkel Sent., 3 MVs Regatta/Invincia/Artista,2 EB J - BSP,I am Not Affiliated with any website, company or product I might mention on this site."

I don't ever sign my name in black ink. Learned that from my attorney years ago.

Is it so that whatever you're signing is NOT legal and they can't pin it on you? But if you sign a house deal and you pay a lot of money and find out halfway that some other guy abused the loophole in the system to make it seem like you didn't sign the contract for the house, what then?

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

I think, correct me if I'm wrong, that signing with black ink can allow your signature to be easily scanned and forged onto another document. It's more difficult to do with lighter shades of ink because the eye can more readily detect how the ink was applied to the page. (Laser printer vs. pen).

The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

• 2 weeks later...

a superior pen in every way to the Montblanc 149 in my opinion!

certainly not, even one 149 from the years 1965 to 1984 will beat the visconti in terms of nib smoothness, flexibility and of course reliability. MB older 14c or 18C are vastly superior than any nib made by Visconti

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Thank you so much for the informative review. The description was quite detailed; I hardly noticed the lack of photos. I am considering the Bronze Age oversize version of the Homo Sapiens, and I am glad to learn that others enjoy it.