Loose Cap On Sheaffer Legacy 2

mcpell

I'm relatively new to collecting fountain pens and even newer to FPN. I found this forum during my search to figure out how to fix a loose cap on my pen. I acquired the following from a friend:

http://www.sheaffertarga.com/Legacy/864%20sandblasted%20gt%20legacy2.html

The cap connects to the barrel in the closed position and doesn't fall off, but it is loose. The consequence of this, I think, is that the ink dries out.

Whether this is the cause of poor lasting ink performance or not, I'd like to at least fix the cap. I searched across all the forums for "loose cap", but didn't find anything that struck me as relevant. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to turn? Of course I could send it to Sheaffer, but I'm a DIY guy and would like to learn how to do it.

Any input would be appreciated. Hopefully this is/was the right forum to post this too - I considered the repair forum, but this is a Sheaffer pen, so wasn't sure.

Please advise,

Michael

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mcpell

• CharlieB

• jar

• Bobby Check

Hi. Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

The picture really doesn't help since it is NOT your pen. A Legacy 2 cap can rotate and still be closed correctly. But it can also be a problem of mismatched pieces parts, for example a cap from a rollerball on a fountain pen body.

My Website

I could take a picture of my pen, but it would look just the same. I wasn't sharing the picture as a means to describe or demonstrate my problem. Rather, I shared it so that those who might not be familiar with the pen by name might have some insight based on a picture. For example, the picture demonstrates that this is not a screw on cap.

I don't think my friend had anything but this pen and it was purchased new, but I will ask him if he has/d a roller ball.

It isn't that the cap can rotate when closed, rather there is noticible play. I can pull the cap away from the barrel with very little effort and have it move perhaps a 1/16th of an inch. It still takes an approrpiate amount of force to actually remove the cap. Does that make sense?

Oh, and thank you for the welcome jar. I jumped right to the matter at hand in my reply.

• 4 years later...

Michael, did you ever find a solution to the loose cap problem. I recently unpacked my Sheaffer Legacy 2s from a box, and I rediscovered the loose cap problem on two of them. Sure would be nice to know if there is a fix.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Michael, did you ever find a solution to the loose cap problem. I recently unpacked my Sheaffer Legacy 2s from a box, and I rediscovered the loose cap problem on two of them. Sure would be nice to know if there is a fix.

Often that is a sign of mismatched parts. The first Legacy used the three prong cap system from the PFM but at Legacy 2 they changed the cap retention system. A Legacy cap will be loose on a Legacy 2 or Legacy Heritage body.

Here you can see the retention systems

Left to right: PFM, Legacy, then Legacy 2 & Legacy Heritage

http://www.fototime.com/11E7F471F88B0B0/large.jpg

My Website

Often that is a sign of mismatched parts. The first Legacy used the three prong cap system from the PFM but at Legacy 2 they changed the cap retention system. A Legacy cap will be loose on a Legacy 2 or Legacy Heritage body.

Here you can see the retention systems

Left to right: PFM, Legacy, then Legacy 2 & Legacy Heritage

Thanks for the advice. Being the owner of two Legacy 1s, three Legacy 2s (one of which closes with a nice snap), and five Legacy Heritage pens, I will get them out and experiment with different caps on different pens to see if I can isolate the problem to the pen or the cap.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Yes. I contacted Sheaffer and they sent me a replacement free of charge. I would try contacting them.

Edited by mcpell

Yes. I contacted Sheaffer and they sent me a replacement free of charge. I would try contacting them.

What did they replace? The entire pen? The section? The cap?

CharlieB

They sent a complete replacement cap.

Hmm... if the company sent you a new cap, that means that this somewhat common problem is in the cap, not in the section ring that the cap clicks into. I wasn't sure whether the cap or the section was causing the problem.

CharlieB

Hmm... if the company sent you a new cap, that means that this somewhat common problem is in the cap, not in the section ring that the cap clicks into. I wasn't sure whether the cap or the section was causing the problem.

The two need to match. It's easier to replace the cap than the pen.

My Website

I had this trouble with my Legacy and then discovered that I just wasn’t pushing the cap down firmly enough on the body. Once I realized that I have been very happy with my pen. Best of luck.

Bobby

Why carry one pen when four will do!

Member of the Calgary Pen Club: <A href="http://www.calgarypenclub.com/" target=_blank>http: //www.calgarypenclub.com/

+1 !!!!!!!!!

I was told that this could be an issue by the good people at Vanness and they were ready to remedy it for me but......after pushing down more firmly, it solved the issue....on two pens!

I had this trouble with my Legacy and then discovered that I just wasn’t pushing the cap down firmly enough on the body. Once I realized that I have been very happy with my pen. Best of luck.
Bobby

• 2 years later...

Such a happy end!

I still cant found the solution for my Sheaffer Heritage.

The clip is very loose(

Is there a solution?

Any help will be appreciated.

Edited by readytotalk

Regards, Alexey