Noodlers Blue Replacement

MKeith

I very much like the color of Noodlers Blue (non-eel). It is a rich blue ONLY color to my eyes, not purple, turquoise, green, etc. I am wanting to replace it with a non Noodlers ink as it has gummed up the sac of my Estie J, a Parker 51 Aero, and is a genuine pain to get out of my piston fillers. I have tried Diamine Asa Blue which is a nice color but not as dark and leans a bit toward turquoise. I am quickly becoming a fan of Diamine inks though.

Yes, I know I can get ink samples but I don't want to go that way without narrowing the field down some. So any help would be much appreciated.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Good Captain

• MKeith

• welch

• 1962falcon

Top Posters In This Topic

I am surprised to hear that you have difficulty cleaning Noodler's Blue out of anything. The only inks I use regularly that are notably easier to clean than Noodler's Blue are Montblanc Royal Blue and Waterman Blue (Serenity). Even Waterman Red is substantially more work. Montblanc Royal Blue is incredibly easy to clean, however.

If you want an easy-to-clean ink that you won't suspect of gumming up your sacs, I would think Waterman. Since you regard Noodler's Blue as a "true" blue, I'm sure you regard Waterman Florida/Serenity Blue as a bit purplish. Actually it is more purple when wet than when dry, but to get something closer to Noodler's in hue, I would try mixing it with some Waterman South Sea/Inspired Blue. You'll need substantially more Florida than South Sea, I would think, to keep it from going turquoise on you. I wish I could try this for you, try to approximate the hue of Noodler's Blue this way, but while I have a good supply of Florida Blue on hand, I don't have any South Sea Blue.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

How about Diamine Royal Blue or Presidential Blue? Two of my favourites. I've recently received a bottle of Montblanc Royal Blue but haven't had time to try it yet.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Like TGC I also have both the Diamine blues and second his remarks about these two inks..... And coincidently I also acquired a bottle of MBRB a month or two back. I have been delighted with its colour and writing performance, so much so, that it has become my 'bright blue go to ink'. Sadly my other blues are now feeling a bit neglected. My enjoyment of MBRB persuaded me to try a bottle of their Irish Green.... BTW good stuff...... and my ink wish list now has an entry for MB Midnight Blue.

Falcon

Two possibilities:

- Gate City Everflo Blue, available from Art Brown's, Richard Binder (the source). Both are online. EB is non-purple, all-blue.

- Noodler's Blue Eel, available also from Art Brown's and other on-line shops. BE is supposed to lubricate pistons, and it might, but it is also a fairly wet blue similar to Noodler's "plain" Blue. Not exact, but close.

I like purple-tinted blues, and I love Diamine Sapphire. It might be too purplish for you. In general, I like the whole line of Diamine blues. Diamine Royal Blue is a bright blue, closer to a sky-blue, and with no purple. (I don't write with black or red or green or brown).

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Do you like dark blues? Diamine Midnight is a lovely dark blue, and their Denim is a slightly lighter blue.

I like Diamine Denim.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. The hunt goes on.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

Diamine Majestic Blue is my choice.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Diamine Majestic Blue is my choice.

I've been using this more recently and it's a good colour. Just try to 'forget' the possible smearing. I received a bottle of Akkerman Shocking Blue a couple of days ago and together with the Akkerman Blue they are a pair to be reckoned with.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"