The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Inks That Match Your Subject?

colors history college

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 CharlieTurtle

CharlieTurtle

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2013 - 19:04

Hi, me again!

Now, next year, I'll be taking five modules of History and a German module at University. My question is... what inks do these modules make you think of?

1. Public History (How History is perceived by the public) - my first thought was brown. Probably an indication of how dull it sounds!
  2. Piracy and Privateering - might use my Waterman's Green for this.
  3. Thinking About the Past - purple, possibly?
  4. TBA
  5. TBA
  6. German - Red?

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

Sponsored Content

#2 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,577 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2013 - 19:56

Hmm... I think for the first you want #23 Akkerman specifically.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#3 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2013 - 20:56

1) If you think brown is boring then you don't have any brown inks.  There are the De Atramentis Historic People series of inks that would fit the subject perfectly; several are brownish but my favorite is Zeppelin which is blue.

2) Waterman South Seas Blue? Diamine Aqua Blue or Florida Blue. Rohrer and Klingner Blu Mare

3) Look at 1 again

4) Blue Ghost

5) Whiteness of the Whale

6) The German flag is Black, Red, and an Orangie Yellow. Try Pelikan Fount India, Rohrer & Klingner Morinda Red, DeAtramentis Gold or Red Orange or Pelikan Amber

#4 J.R.

J.R.

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2013 - 20:58

Uncle Red beat me to it - - I would think of an aqua blue, for the pirates who sailed the 7 seas.

J.R.

#5 gcouch

gcouch

No One Understands my Obsession

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2013 - 16:07

I would suggest Montblanc for the brown; it's my favorite. I'd have to go with Aurora Black for German. I'm taking German now in High School, and it's what I use most of the time.

#6 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2013 - 17:08

OK, my post disappeared, ugh.

And reappeared, so I deleted the double post.

Edited by Uncle Red, 09 May 2013 - 17:10.

#7 CharlieTurtle

CharlieTurtle

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2013 - 17:52

4. Into the Wild (SHOOT. ME.) But a good excuse for a green ink

5. Discovery & Empire (with the prof who hates blue ink)

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

#8 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,473 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2013 - 20:40

What a great question! IMO:

1. - Public History: definitely any medium to dark blue since that is the colour of eternity, loyalty. E.g. Diamine's Majestic (although smeary), their Asa Blue, Royal or Sapphire. MB's Royal Blue. Not brown!
    - Piracy and Privateering: green in any case, since that is the colour of adventure and hope. E.g. their Kelly, maybe their Kensington. Omas' Green, CdA's Amazon (maybe too dark; it's also to be discontinued).
    - Thinking About the Past. Very dark up to purplish, bluish, black, e.g. Diamine's WES  Imperial Blue, I myself would definitely stick to their Eclipse. Or De Atramentis' Aubergine.
    - German - Red? No, that's too WW II-like. Check out R&K's Alt Goldgrün.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#9 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2013 - 20:47

Grey, then. Diamine has several but my favorite is De Atramentis Silver Grey.

#10 mirosc

mirosc

I love the smell of ink in the morning

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2013 - 21:23

1. If you think boring: a plain and simple Royal Blue (maybe from Pelikan, that will fade over time - making your notes indeed a matter of history... :P ), maybe something pale-ish from J. Herbin
2. Piracy: black (like the Jolly Roger)
3. for the past: a nice "sepia" labelled ink (any will do)
4. Wild: Green. Definitely.
5. Empire: something with "Majestic" in the name, look out for Diamine..., or Red (you know how much blood the discoverers have spilled), or J. Herbins 1670 (Louis Quatorze and all that)
6. Well, History and German, I mean, sorry, but that just screams for brown  :yikes:

Edited by mirosc, 09 May 2013 - 21:28.

Greetings,
Michael

#11 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• 12,473 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:43

6. Well, History and German, I mean, sorry, but that just screams for brown  :yikes:

How very true! Yes, the word "brown" in this connection is, at least here in Germany,  an unmistakable swear word!!

MIke

#12 CharlieTurtle

CharlieTurtle

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:21

How very true! Yes, the word "brown" in this connection is, at least here in Germany,  an unmistakable swear word!!

MIke

Oops XD

#13 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• 12,473 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2013 - 18:06

MIke

Oops XD

MIke

Oops XD

Worry not. "Brown" is solely used  to indicate the Nazi regime (1933-1945). For those of us here who don't already know it, brown was the colour of their uniforms.

Mike

#14 BiggieD

BiggieD

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2013 - 18:44

I'm trying to stick to European inks since you're in England and I'm guessing shipping cost is an issue since your a student.

1 - Public History - Diamine Maroon or Monaco Red (Looking at the past through rose colored glasses...  You could go with coral or flamingo pink but I can't imagine studying from full pages of notes written in those colors without getting seizures)

3 - thinking about the past --  Stipula Sepia

#15 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,577 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2013 - 00:36

See, that's why I suggested #23 for History .... it sounds like burnt caca ... and the color....

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#16 BiggieD

BiggieD

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:43

See, that's why I suggested #23 for History .... it sounds like burnt caca ... and the color....

Wow, a method to the madness... I mean obsession, I mean compulsion, I mean hobby -- yeah, that's it :)

#17 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,577 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:58

Wow, a method to the madness... I mean obsession, I mean compulsion, I mean hobby -- yeah, that's it :)

ROFL

#18 fourseamer

fourseamer

Up and In

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2013 - 17:35

1. Public History - Agreed on brown. Diamine Saddle Brown.

2. Piracy and Privateering - Gold. Röhrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün.

3. Thinking About the Past - Sepia. Röhrer & Klingner Sepia.

4. Into the Wild - Green. Caran d'Ache Amazon.

5. Discovery & Empire - Red for the Roman and English empires. Noodler's Fox Red.

6. German - Blue-Black. Pelikan 4001 or Lamy Blue-Black (IG formula). Something with a tinge of grey.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: colors, history, college

Sponsored Content

|