Inks That Match Your Subject?

CharlieTurtle

Hi, me again!

Now, next year, I'll be taking five modules of History and a German module at University. My question is... what inks do these modules make you think of?

1. Public History (How History is perceived by the public) - my first thought was brown. Probably an indication of how dull it sounds!
  2. Piracy and Privateering - might use my Waterman's Green for this.
  3. Thinking About the Past - purple, possibly?
  4. TBA
  5. TBA
  6. German - Red?

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• Uncle Red

• amberleadavis

• CharlieTurtle

Hmm... I think for the first you want #23 Akkerman specifically.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

1) If you think brown is boring then you don't have any brown inks. There are the De Atramentis Historic People series of inks that would fit the subject perfectly; several are brownish but my favorite is Zeppelin which is blue.

2) Waterman South Seas Blue? Diamine Aqua Blue or Florida Blue. Rohrer and Klingner Blu Mare

3) Look at 1 again

4) Blue Ghost

5) Whiteness of the Whale

6) The German flag is Black, Red, and an Orangie Yellow. Try Pelikan Fount India, Rohrer & Klingner Morinda Red, DeAtramentis Gold or Red Orange or Pelikan Amber

Uncle Red beat me to it - - I would think of an aqua blue, for the pirates who sailed the 7 seas.

J.R.

I would suggest Montblanc for the brown; it's my favorite. I'd have to go with Aurora Black for German. I'm taking German now in High School, and it's what I use most of the time.

OK, my post disappeared, ugh.

And reappeared, so I deleted the double post.

Edited by Uncle Red

4. Into the Wild (SHOOT. ME.) But a good excuse for a green ink

5. Discovery & Empire (with the prof who hates blue ink)

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

What a great question! IMO:

1. - Public History: definitely any medium to dark blue since that is the colour of eternity, loyalty. E.g. Diamine's Majestic (although smeary), their Asa Blue, Royal or Sapphire. MB's Royal Blue. Not brown!
    - Piracy and Privateering: green in any case, since that is the colour of adventure and hope. E.g. their Kelly, maybe their Kensington. Omas' Green, CdA's Amazon (maybe too dark; it's also to be discontinued).
    - Thinking About the Past. Very dark up to purplish, bluish, black, e.g. Diamine's WES Imperial Blue, I myself would definitely stick to their Eclipse. Or De Atramentis' Aubergine.
    - German - Red? No, that's too WW II-like. Check out R&K's Alt Goldgrün.
    Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Grey, then. Diamine has several but my favorite is De Atramentis Silver Grey.

1. If you think boring: a plain and simple Royal Blue (maybe from Pelikan, that will fade over time - making your notes indeed a matter of history... :P ), maybe something pale-ish from J. Herbin

2. Piracy: black (like the Jolly Roger)

3. for the past: a nice "sepia" labelled ink (any will do)

4. Wild: Green. Definitely.

5. Empire: something with "Majestic" in the name, look out for Diamine..., or Red (you know how much blood the discoverers have spilled), or J. Herbins 1670 (Louis Quatorze and all that)

6. Well, History and German, I mean, sorry, but that just screams for brown :yikes:

Edited by mirosc

Greetings,

Michael

6. Well, History and German, I mean, sorry, but that just screams for brown :yikes:

How very true! Yes, the word "brown" in this connection is, at least here in Germany, an unmistakable swear word!!

MIke

How very true! Yes, the word "brown" in this connection is, at least here in Germany, an unmistakable swear word!!

MIke

Oops XD

MIke

Oops XD

MIke

Oops XD

Worry not. "Brown" is solely used to indicate the Nazi regime (1933-1945). For those of us here who don't already know it, brown was the colour of their uniforms.

Mike

I'm trying to stick to European inks since you're in England and I'm guessing shipping cost is an issue since your a student.

1 - Public History - Diamine Maroon or Monaco Red (Looking at the past through rose colored glasses... You could go with coral or flamingo pink but I can't imagine studying from full pages of notes written in those colors without getting seizures)

3 - thinking about the past -- Stipula Sepia

See, that's why I suggested #23 for History .... it sounds like burnt caca ... and the color....

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

See, that's why I suggested #23 for History .... it sounds like burnt caca ... and the color....

Wow, a method to the madness... I mean obsession, I mean compulsion, I mean hobby -- yeah, that's it :)

Wow, a method to the madness... I mean obsession, I mean compulsion, I mean hobby -- yeah, that's it :)

ROFL

1. Public History - Agreed on brown. Diamine Saddle Brown.

2. Piracy and Privateering - Gold. Röhrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün.

3. Thinking About the Past - Sepia. Röhrer & Klingner Sepia.

4. Into the Wild - Green. Caran d'Ache Amazon.

5. Discovery & Empire - Red for the Roman and English empires. Noodler's Fox Red.

6. German - Blue-Black. Pelikan 4001 or Lamy Blue-Black (IG formula). Something with a tinge of grey.