Pilot Justus 95 M Nib Lined Guilloche

hari317

Wow, great pictures. Good job!

“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• mongrelnomad

• heymatthew

• mhphoto

Does anyone have any idea about how long Pilot will make this pen? The M90, for instance, apparently had a fairly short production run (I do hope they make something similar in the future) while the "custom" pens are occasionally listed as limited edition, but continue selling for years. I won't be able to afford it for at least half a year and it would annoy me if it is gone by then.

Another 95th anniversary model, the Elite 95S is currently my favourite pen.

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

Does anyone have any idea about how long Pilot will make this pen? The M90, for instance, apparently had a fairly short production run (I do hope they make something similar in the future) while the "custom" pens are occasionally listed as limited edition, but continue selling for years. I won't be able to afford it for at least half a year and it would annoy me if it is gone by then.

Another 95th anniversary model, the Elite 95S is currently my favourite pen.

does not appear to be a SE. the Maple capless is mentioned LE.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Does the ribbed section (to adjust the nib settings) intefere with the fingers when writing?

Hi

Does the ribbed section (to adjust the nib settings) intefere with the fingers when writing?

Nope. I find it to be incredibly comfortable no matter where you hold it.

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread and review; thanks Hari317.

NOW: being immediately excited by the idea of a readily available variable-nibbed pen from Pilot, I watched the videos at Goulette's site very carefully today, and there is without doubt clear sign of traditional flex producing a thicker line in the second video. Am I to assume that the pen in this video has the 'fine' nib, and that the 'M' nib would not behave this way?

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

Great thread and review; thanks Hari317.

NOW: being immediately excited by the idea of a readily available variable-nibbed pen from Pilot, I watched the videos at Goulette's site very carefully today, and there is without doubt clear sign of traditional flex producing a thicker line in the second video. Am I to assume that the pen in this video has the 'fine' nib, and that the 'M' nib would not behave this way?

thank you.

In answer to the highlighted part, I think that would depend on the person bearing down on the nib.

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I bought a Justus 95 last weekend with a medium nib. I would say that the nib adjustment adds softness to the nib. It does allow a little line variation, but it can't be called "flex".

John

I bought a Justus 95 last weekend with a medium nib. I would say that the nib adjustment adds softness to the nib. It does allow a little line variation, but it can't be called "flex".

John

I agree with your findings since my findings are also similar...

BTW, leaving the flex aside, I feel the pen is a superb writer, I used it again today, really enjoyed it.

• 6 months later...

I just got the Fine nib. But I'm finding it a tad too fine with more feedback than I would have expected. I know there is a Fine-Medium (FM) option from sellers in Japan. Has anyone tried that one? I'm curious to know if it will feel smoother and write a bit wetter without being as wide as a Medium.

• 2 months later...

Great review Hari. Ever since I read about this pen it's been #1 on my list too.

As a result of this review it has tumbled. I thought for sure "soft" would also include some flex, which is why I was excited about the pen (MODERN flex... not going there). This is actually an enormous disappointment for me. I'm so so glad I read your review before sinking ~$300 in to one of these.

i was about to put this pen on my wish list this morning, but given 1)the price and that it 2) does not flex why, bother? I can change pens of the same model with different nibs and obtain the same effec resulting in a savings of more than $200.

I am looking at the TWSBi mini because of the novelty of a mini, price, and looks. CAnnot beat that combination.

Edited by Oldtimer

• 1 year later...

Hello every one I am Rohan from India and relatively new to fountainpens. I really enjoy writing and up Till 6months back I was buying ballbens left right and centre in an effort to find something which would be enjoyable to write with. Needless to say all of them failed. One day By chance I bought a fountain pen not because i thought it would write well but just because i thought they look cool with the beautiful nibs and inks and converter. But when I wrote with it II just fell in love with the amazing feeling of the pen just gliding over paper. The pen was a parkar vector gold.After that day I never used a ball pen. Then I started reading a lot about a fountain pens on net. My first 'next level' pen was lamy studio, it really took my experience of fountain pens to the next level mine was buttery smooth.then I decided to buy a flex nib pen and from internet came to know that the ahab is actually made and sold in India as konwrite. Immediately ordered it and really loved it too. It has now become my every day pen but it is a little unreliable. A lot of times when I open the cap there is ink on the pen and also requires effort to get line variation. After doing a lot more reading, came to realise that pilot is the only company which is offering gold nib pens with some flex at prices below $200 (do correct me if there are others). I have shortlisted some pens falcon,custom 912 843 842 with FA nib, justice95. Read that FA is designed for Japanese script and gives lots of railroading and hard starting issues while writing English.Falson has mixed reviews and read that unless modified by the likes of john mottishaw would also require a lot of effort to get line variation and that too it is not much . About Justice hari had pointed out that the tensioner bar is really a gimic and the medium nib has no flex. However some of the videos show it to be quite a bit flexible. Any suggestions on which would be most enjoyable to write with. I do not need to do a lot of writing for example taking notes and When ever I write I write slow enjoying every stroke. So keeping that in mind which should be best optian.

Hello every one I am Rohan from India and relatively new to fountainpens. I really enjoy writing and up Till 6months back I was buying ballbens left right and centre in an effort to find something which would be enjoyable to write with. Needless to say all of them failed. One day By chance I bought a fountain pen not because i thought it would write well but just because i thought they look cool with the beautiful nibs and inks and converter. But when I wrote with it II just fell in love with the amazing feeling of the pen just gliding over paper. The pen was a parkar vector gold.After that day I never used a ball pen. Then I started reading a lot about a fountain pens on net. My first 'next level' pen was lamy studio, it really took my experience of fountain pens to the next level mine was buttery smooth.then I decided to buy a flex nib pen and from internet came to know that the ahab is actually made and sold in India as konwrite. Immediately ordered it and really loved it too. It has now become my every day pen but it is a little unreliable. A lot of times when I open the cap there is ink on the pen and also requires effort to get line variation. After doing a lot more reading, came to realise that pilot is the only company which is offering gold nib pens with some flex at prices below $200 (do correct me if there are others). I have shortlisted some pens falcon,custom 912 843 842 with FA nib, justice95. Read that FA is designed for Japanese script and gives lots of railroading and hard starting issues while writing English.Falson has mixed reviews and read that unless modified by the likes of john mottishaw would also require a lot of effort to get line variation and that too it is not much . About Justice hari had pointed out that the tensioner bar is really a gimic and the medium nib has no flex. However some of the videos show it to be quite a bit flexible. Any suggestions on which would be most enjoyable to write with. I do not need to do a lot of writing for example taking notes and When ever I write I write slow enjoying every stroke. So keeping that in mind which should be best optian.

I much prefer my Namiki Falcon (goes everywhere daily with me in addition to a rotational pen) to my Justus 95. The nib itself (Namiki), is a sight for sore eyes!! I agree with Hari. I did not find any difference between the hard and soft settings on the Justus, whatsoever. Nice idea, tho'!

Best//Sharookh

• 4 years later...

Does the adjustment alter the ink flow? I have considered getting this pen in order to use different types of paper, as some papers are more absorbent and would benefit from stingier ink flow.

Does the adjustment alter the ink flow? I have considered getting this pen in order to use different types of paper, as some papers are more absorbent and would benefit from stingier ink flow.

It does. In the sense that the flow at the full soft position is higher than the full hard position for the same hand pressure, ink and paper. If you want to use this pen for the purpose you state, you better check if the flow at full hard is low enough to be suitable for you at your hand pressure and with your ink. Do you have a shop nearby where you can do this?

Good luck!

Thank you for the interesting reply. I don't have easy access to a shop, so I will wait until my travels take me. nonetheless this is good to know.