Pilot Justus 95 M Nib Lined Guilloche

hari317

Thanks for the write up!

The first time I heard of this pen I predicted I'd be greatly disappointed the first time I read a review. Considering what the pen is and what its capabilities are, I'd say it's priced at about twice what it's worth. Perhaps it would be worth more if they actually did the work to put a real flexible nib in it.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• mongrelnomad

• heymatthew

• mhphoto

Hari..... Thanks for the great review. I'd like to know how the pen feels posted ? Balanced ? I've found the pilot caps light, and very good for posting.

Edited by Bill Wood

Oh, those horrible, evil, despicable bastards at Pilot.

Not only have the forced, FORCED me to buy several of their pens.

They've also come up with a model that has long been top of my list of pens to buy when I (imagine that I) can afford it.

Now they've discovered my love of weird gimmicks as well.

Jerks.

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

Nice pen :thumbup: thanks for the review

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Hari..... Thanks for the great review. I'd like to know how the pen feels posted ? Balanced ? I've found the pilot caps light, and very good for posting.

The pen is quite substantial unposted, so i have not posted the pen yet.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thank you all for the kind comments. mongrelnomad, I had expected little flex even from the F nib since Pilot themselves do not talk about flex at all in their literature with the pen. This pen is all about altering the feel or in car terms, the suspension and I think Pilot have done very well in this regard.

Best

Hari

That's a fantastic way to put it!

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

Hari,

Very nice and beautiful pictures. We have many excited customers waiting for this pen also. We might get the pen in the month of September in USA.

sincerely,

Raj Menon

Pen Boutique
Pen Boutique on facebook!
Blog

Pen Boutique on Instagram!

Columbia, Maryland, USA (Opp. to The Mall in Columbia)

"FPN Rocks!!! It also gives you extra 5% at our store with coupon code: FPNROCKS" Exlcusive for FPN members only

Too bad you didn't see any flex. Gimmick indeed. Goulet just started carrying these. $312 USD, ea. (if it is in stock that is). But I don't see any way to pick the nib size.

$312 USD, ea. (if it is in stock that is). But I don't see any way to pick the nib size.

hmmm. You can buy these from Online sellers in Japan for around 100USD less. Support your B&M stores but if buying online, Japan post is very fast.

link

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hari,

Very nice and beautiful pictures. We have many excited customers waiting for this pen also. We might get the pen in the month of September in USA.

sincerely,

Raj Menon

That's good to hear. :)

Oh, those horrible, evil, despicable bastards at Pilot.

Not only have the forced, FORCED me to buy several of their pens.

They've also come up with a model that has long been top of my list of pens to buy when I (imagine that I) can afford it.

Now they've discovered my love of weird gimmicks as well.

Jerks.

:)

That's a fantastic way to put it!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

i accidentally came across Justus video in youtube, just to see that you had already reviewed :)

Great hari..

However, its indeed disappointing to know that with so much of innovation, the intended flexness is not achieved. If my understanding is correct, flexness is all about lowering the stiffness of the nib. Lack of flex only indicate that the change in stiffness is not dramatic enough for flex. May be Pilot can work on alternate materials (material with lower modulus for nib or higher modulus for the stiffening member) or design (they may consider reducing the nib width) to introduce the flex.

i accidentally came across Justus video in youtube, just to see that you had already reviewed :)

Great hari..

However, its indeed disappointing to know that with so much of innovation, the intended flexness is not achieved. If my understanding is correct, flexness is all about lowering the stiffness of the nib. Lack of flex only indicate that the change in stiffness is not dramatic enough for flex. May be Pilot can work on alternate materials (material with lower modulus for nib or higher modulus for the stiffening member) or design (they may consider reducing the nib width) to introduce the flex.

Thank you.

I think the lament at the lack of flexiness is being overplayed in the case of this pen.

I am not even sure if flexiness, as is known with western calligraphy was even intended by Pilot, or if flexiness (dramatic line variations) itself has any value in the Japanese hand writing. However the feel of nib changes significantly by use of the control slider and slight line variation due to ink flow changes is there. I am pretty sure the engineers at Pilot are well versed in the art of metallurgy etc etc. Afterall they have mastery over the full production of nibs including the tipping material.

Personally, I am very happy with what the Justus 95 offers.

• 4 weeks later...

John Mottishaw says on his site that he can give it the Spencerian treatment, with the added bonus that you can lock off the Spencerian by switching to H when not needed. Might have to look into that...

John Mottishaw says on his site that he can give it the Spencerian treatment, with the added bonus that you can lock off the Spencerian by switching to H when not needed. Might have to look into that...

The H will be less hard than usual after his treatment. From his website, link

John can add additional flex to the Justus 14k nib unit, and this increases the flexibility at both the "H" and "S" settings - at "H," the nib will be less rigid than an unmodified nib, while at "S," the nib will have even greater flexibility than would otherwise be the case. John can also use the Justus nib for the full Spencerian modification for copperplate calligraphy - an added benefit of using the Justus for Spencerian is that the nib can be returned to a more controllable firmer point when extreme flexibility is not desired.

I have a Justus 95 and really enjoy it. I see a significant amount of difference between the hard and soft settings on mine, but I have the Fine nib as opposed to the Medium. I've also noticed on PIlot's Falcon pens that the Medium and Broad nibs don't exhibit very much line variation at all. I think in order to get the most out of the Justus and Falcon nibs, you need to get a nib as fine as possible (F, EF or even XXF). I probably wouldn't give this nib the Spencerian treatment as it's a really wonderful daily writer that offers up an option to add some line variation if you want it...

I'm still working on my written/video review of this pen, but here's a quick sample I did this morning for someone asking about this particular pen. Notice mine is a Fine and not a Medium...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7303/10137539334_83eb181d0f_c.jpg

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

I purchased the fine nib on mine also and have seen similar variation to that seen by heymatthew. I love it personally, it's everything I was expecting from a Falcon but didn't get. Whereas the Falcon always seemed starved for ink this pen really keeps up with the ink flow. Very pleased with my purchase!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

excellent samples and thanks for sharing, my next Justus will be the barley with a F nib...

Glad to know you haven't given up entirely on the Justus lineup. I, too have the barley pattern and it is quite beautiful in-person. I'll send you a link to the video review when I get around to recording it. Maybe tonight if time allows...

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

Glad to know you haven't given up entirely on the Justus lineup. I, too have the barley pattern and it is quite beautiful in-person. I'll send you a link to the video review when I get around to recording it. Maybe tonight if time allows...

Oh, no, not at all... actually my lined M is still in Rotation, I find it a very nice and reliable pen and also the hard and soft feel is definitely there in the M nib, one has to write with it to feel the difference, it cannot be described well by words, I feel.. I was anyway going to buy the Barley too, I will go for the F after seeing your samples, a little flex won't hurt. :)

I will look forward to your video review. :)