Pilot Justus 95 M Nib Lined Guilloche

hari317

Thanks for the review, like a few people I was considering this pen, but after your review describing it to be flex-less, I've decided against it. Nothing like old pens for flex !

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• mongrelnomad

• heymatthew

• mhphoto

Nothing like old pens for flex !

So true. it is probably a waste of time pursuing a modern flex nib.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

So true. it is probably a waste of time pursuing a modern flex nib.

Try one of Mottishaw or Binder's fettled flexies. Might change your mind...

Too many pens; too little writing.

Try one of Mottishaw or Binder's fettled flexies. Might change your mind...

Oh, I love the few regular nibs I have that have been Mottishawed, one of which is an Omas extra flessible.

When the time comes, I might go in for a Romillopens "Nib K".

http://www.romillopens.com/ing/img/plumin_k.jpg

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Oh, I love the few regular nibs I have that have been Mottishawed, one of which is an Omas extra flessible.

When the time comes, I might go in for a Romillopens "Nib K".

http://www.romillopens.com/ing/img/plumin_k.jpg

The Romillopen looks incredible...

I didn't mean one of the fettled "Extra Flessible" Omas nibs (overated IMO - I have too many), I meant the hand-ground flexible nibs they create from modern 14k fare. I have two - one Omas "Bologna" nib in a modern Milord (approximated XXXF - BBB) and an M600 nib (XXF-BB) by Richard Binder. They are blinding. 

(Very bad writing-sample from the Omas below:)

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w432/penlovermn/R0010648.jpg

The Romillopen looks incredible...

I didn't mean one of the fettled "Extra Flessible" Omas nibs (overated IMO - I have too many), I meant the hand-ground flexible nibs they create from modern 14k fare. I have two - one Omas "Bologna" nib in a modern Milord (approximated XXXF - BBB) and an M600 nib (XXF-BB) by Richard Binder. They are blinding.

(Very bad writing-sample from the Omas below:)

I had understood that you meant the "added flex" nibs. I like the way Mottishaw has added flexibility to your pens without shaving the sides, apparently. Thanks for sharing the writing samples. This route is certainly an option to consider.

Best

Hari

Thanks! can some one who reads Japanese decipher what is written on the sticker?

It says there is an instruction and ink below.

I just bought mine last month. This pen is a pure beauty.

It says there is an instruction and ink below.

I just bought mine last month. This pen is a pure beauty.

Thank you so much!

• 2 weeks later...

Just received and dipped my own Justus (bought from Engeika). Hari - your findings seem spot on. There is definitely some added springiness in the "S" setting, however it's far from the flexible nib for which many would have hoped. If asked to describe it, I'd say the whole mechanism is capable of turning a Sailor nib (H) into an Omas (S).

A missed opportunity it appears, but as always with Pilot, a beautifully constructed, solid (if dull) pen.

Edited by mongrelnomad

Just received and dipped my own Justus (bought from Engeika). Hari - your findings seem spot on. There is definitely some added springiness in the "S" setting, however it's far from the flexible nib for which many would have hoped. If asked to describe it, I'd say the whole mechanism is capable of turning a Sailor nib (H) into an Omas (S).

A missed opportunity it appears, but as always with Pilot, a beautifully constructed, solid (if dull) pen.

Thanks for writing back! It's OFF MY LIST! ;) It would be interesting to know how it compares to a pilot "soft" nib like a "sm" or whatever.

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

I have found Pilot fountain pens to be some of the most dependable ones that I have in my collection.

Thank you for the review.

Peace,

J. Kenneth Byrd, Jr.

(Kenny)

The Tar Heel State--GO HEELS!

Thank you all for the kind comments. mongrelnomad, I had expected little flex even from the F nib since Pilot themselves do not talk about flex at all in their literature with the pen. This pen is all about altering the feel or in car terms, the suspension and I think Pilot have done very well in this regard.

Best

Hari

by far the coolest nib system i've seen! thx, hari, for the great review with nice photos!

Thanks for great review & photos ..

Which is your daily use pen Sir ??

Regards ,

'BAAZ'

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! can some one who reads Japanese decipher what is written on the sticker?

I'm not too sure what you're referring to, but the only thing written in Japanese not written in English says, 'the use guide and ink are underneath (referring to the insert of the package)

I'm not too sure what you're referring to, but the only thing written in Japanese not written in English says, 'the use guide and ink are underneath (referring to the insert of the package)

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I received my Justus 95 about two hours ago from Engeika Japan and am very pleased with the vendor-great price!. It shipped on 7/5/2013 and arrived today 7/9/2013, hard to beleive.

Now to my first impressions of the pen. I like it, great medium nib (very smooth right out of the box), I see a slight difference in line width (flex), a significant difference in feel from soft to hard and great appearance (Barley Finish). I say it is a winner!!!

After seeing the size of this pen, I was discouraged from getting it (I like smaller pens with big nibs), but the finishes are very interesting, and I wish Pilot offered them on other models.

While I'm wishing, I wish they offered the #15 nib on a smaller pen too.

Robert.