Pen Stores In Singapore

Simius

I've been looking around for pens in Singapore. The shops have amazing collections, and service is excellent. But I am stunned by the prices - more specifically, how much higher they are marked up compared to (at least in my experience) the B&M shops in the US or even Europe. Granted, I've only visited the higher-end stores such as Elephant and Coral, Aesthetic Bay, and two more that I forget near Raffles City, but even then...

My question for Singapore residents: am I missing out on a whole collection of shops in other areas that offer very (or more) attractive prices? Any pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Simius

• proton007

• rudyhou

• nicholasyeo

Fook Hing is alright, their prices aren't too high, but depends on the brand. The selling price usually is 80% of the list price.

Kinokuniya has a few brands, but their collection isn't too fancy either. They have a good seletion of paper though (Maruman Mnemosyne/Giuris), and the only place I know that sells the Pilot Preppy.

BHG@bugis has a good pen section, the prices are reasonable.

Mustafa has a good section, probably the only place I've been able to get Hero pens.

However, I've found PenGallery (www.pengallery.com) has the best prices around. Some of their pens are really well priced, especially Lamy, and other pen brands in general are on par/lower than global prices. A good selection of brands and inks, and they're also pretty swift with their shipping as well as customer support. I get my packages in 3-4 days.

Go around, take a look, but also use Pengallery as reference.

PS: I'm not related to pengallery in any way, just a happy customer.

Edited by proton007

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

I second Fook Hing.

I think what the OP just described are those places who cater to people who like to be treated like kings and walk the red carpet.

:lticaptd:

For me, I like a no-frills, no-airs kind of place and Fook Hing as been perfect so far!

I get the majority of my pens, inks and other supplies there.

Thanks, will look these up.

Where do you folks buy ink from? The iroshizuku inks were outrageuosly priced at the stores I visited. I suppose I could get them delivered from Rakuten, but that'll take a few days. I'm looking for iro or pel edelstein. Where would I find them to be reasonably priced? Thanks...

Where do you folks buy ink from? The iroshizuku inks were outrageuosly priced at the stores I visited. I suppose I could get them delivered from Rakuten, but that'll take a few days. I'm looking for iro or pel edelstein. Where would I find them to be reasonably priced? Thanks...

Perhaps it would be useful if you could quote the price of the Iroshizuku inks.

Fook Hing has them, but only a few colors, I think the price was $38 SGD last time I checked.

Pengallery is selling it for US $26.

But Rakuten seems to be the best deal, their prices are almost half I've seen elsewhere.

Edited by proton007

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

I second Fook Hing.

I think what the OP just described are those places who cater to people who like to be treated like kings and walk the red carpet.

For me, I like a no-frills, no-airs kind of place and Fook Hing as been perfect so far!

You nailed it, Nicholas. The lady at Elephant and Coral was determined to sell me a sgd 1,000 pen. I demurred and said my budget was a bit lower (not a particularly low figure, mind you). You should have seen the look on her face. I was instantly transformed from aristo to peasant! It was quite funny.

It was even more strange at the Aesthetic Bay. The lady discouraged be from seeing the Nakayas. I persisted, she showed me a portable cigar for sgd 900; something I got for a lot less elsewhere. It was my turn to look smug. And then I showed them my Densho. They were at a loss: cheapskate, hard bargainer, or just a nutcase? The settled on the third and showed me ever more expensive pens.

The strange part is that I wanted to buy an Omas at the elephant, but they were too taken with their wares. At Aesthetic Bay, the was a Danitrio buffalo horn, but they didn't do a good job of showing it.

On walking out of Aesthetic Bay, I saw the GvFC shop. Two ladies , no baggage of preconceptions abt customers, showed me a bunch of pens and then offered a nice discount. I'll go tomorrow and collect an Intuition F nib.

It was a lot of fun...

I second Fook Hing.

Perhaps it would be useful if you could quote the price of the Iroshizuku inks.

Fook Hing has them, but only a few colors, I think the price was $38 SGD last time I checked.

Pengallery is selling it for US $26.

But Rakuten seems to be the best deal, their prices are almost half I've seen elsewhere.

You nailed it, Nicholas. The lady at Elephant and Coral was determined to sell me a sgd 1,000 pen. I demurred and said my budget was a bit lower (not a particularly low figure, mind you). You should have seen the look on her face. I was instantly transformed from aristo to peasant! It was quite funny.

It was even more strange at the Aesthetic Bay. The lady discouraged be from seeing the Nakayas. I persisted, she showed me a portable cigar for sgd 900; something I got for a lot less elsewhere. It was my turn to look smug. And then I showed them my Densho. They were at a loss: cheapskate, hard bargainer, or just a nutcase? The settled on the third and showed me ever more expensive pens.

The strange part is that I wanted to buy an Omas at the elephant, but they were too taken with their wares. At Aesthetic Bay, the was a Danitrio buffalo horn, but they didn't do a good job of showing it.

On walking out of Aesthetic Bay, I saw the GvFC shop. Two ladies , no baggage of preconceptions abt customers, showed me a bunch of pens and then offered a nice discount. I'll go tomorrow and collect an Intuition F nib.

It was a lot of fun..

General rule, any shop in Orchard area is going to be expensive. I was amazed at the price difference, when I was out looking for a perfume once. Mustafa was selling the same bottle for close to half the price at Takashimaya.

I've never been to these shops TBH.

- Alan Watts

I always bought Omas from Fook Hing, after discounts the prices are acceptable and cheaper than nibs.com. This is how I compare. As for Aesthetic Bay, I always have a fix idea what I wanted to buy before I walked in, and the prices listed are not fixed there will be a little discounts althought Nakaya's prices are still higher compared to US prices. Few days ago I bought a Sailor Takenuri from Aesthetic Bay and the price is cheaper than nibs.com, so I am quite happy. As for Elephant & coral, I have no experience with them.

English is not my mother tongue, please excuse me.

I recently bought Iroshizuku ink for SGD 49.00 (!) at Aesthetic Bay. Guh, quite expensive ($39.80).

Here is a map of all the stores in S'pore with a short description. Next time, I will see Fook Hing. Thanks for the information!

For sale: M625 red/silver, P395 gold, Delta Fellini.

I suppose different places cater to different market segments. Each to their own, but homework definately has to be done before walking into any of the shops. I only know of 3 places that sell a variety of FP in Sg, that's EnC, Aesthetic Bay and let's not forget Fook HIng. The other places mentioned does not have a variety but covers paper and inks. I hope you get what you seek, otherwise, there's still no harm in looking at some pens! I always find that the fountain pens look better up close then on a screen. If the prices are not favourable, just explore the shops, and come back to buy online.

I suppose different places cater to different market segments. Each to their own, but homework definately has to be done before walking into any of the shops. I only know of 3 places that sell a variety of FP in Sg, that's EnC, Aesthetic Bay and let's not forget Fook HIng. The other places mentioned does not have a variety but covers paper and inks. I hope you get what you seek, otherwise, there's still no harm in looking at some pens! I always find that the fountain pens look better up close then on a screen. If the prices are not favourable, just explore the shops, and come back to buy online.

Exactly.

I've ended up regretting my purchases in the past, because there's no fixed price, and the price depends on the location.

Nowadays I just go take a look, and order online.

- Alan Watts

Following up... I managed to stop by Fook Hing on the way back from work, mostly to buy some Iro ink. I really liked the store. A very nice collection of pens, reasonable collection of ink (Iro, Edelstein, Pel, Aurora, Monteverde, and one other), helpful people and very good prices. In short, everything I'd like a B&M store to be. I'll go back over the weekend and take a closer look.

Thanks again to all who suggested I go there.

Fook Hing is always my first stop when i'm in singapore and my attention for pens needs to be pampered. they provide a great customer service. not only they are helpful and tend to provide cheaper price, they also can provide a cleaning/fixing service for a fee for pens that are not purchased at their shop.

Elephant & Coral and Aesthetic Bay won't do the same if the pens are not purchased from their shop. having said that, these 2 shops do carry more choices of fountain pens. but from my previous experiences at those 2 shops, Elephant & Coral still provides a better customer service. they are more willing to let you hold/test a pen and a lot friendlier than Aesthetic Bay. i felt rather unwelcomed at Aesthetic Bay for the few times i visited the shop.

-rudy-

Being to all 3 shops, I feel that Aesthetic Bay caters to a certain market segment. (Maki-e Pens) Unless you want to try out a Nakaya (BTW Aesthetic Bay is the first authorized Nakaya dealer) As for cleaning, if you are in town, contact the Singapore Fountain pen Lovers, they can arrange the clean and diagnosis of your pens. And All 3 shops take very good care of their customers. You will not believe the aftersales support by both Fook Hing and Aesthetic Bay. (We are talking about things that will put most US Retail in shame)

From The Sunny Island of Singapore

Straits Pen Distributors and Dealers of Craft Rinkul, JB Perfect Pen Flush, Ohto Japan, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot Pen, Private Reserve Inks, Schrade Tactical Pens, Smith & Wesson Pens, Noodler's Ink LLC Pens, TWSBI Inc and Waterman in Singapore

Disclosure: I do nib work for others and am affiliated with those which do. I also sell and represent certain brands of pens.

Being to all 3 shops, I feel that Aesthetic Bay caters to a certain market segment. (Maki-e Pens) Unless you want to try out a Nakaya (BTW Aesthetic Bay is the first authorized Nakaya dealer) As for cleaning, if you are in town, contact the Singapore Fountain pen Lovers, they can arrange the clean and diagnosis of your pens. And All 3 shops take very good care of their customers. You will not believe the aftersales support by both Fook Hing and Aesthetic Bay. (We are talking about things that will put most US Retail in shame)

thanks for the feedback, studiohead. and how do i get in touch with Singapore Fountain Pen Lovers? is there a website or shop?

-rudy-

I agree that Fook Hing does have very high standards of customer service, and - to the detriment of my wallet - prices that are just as good.

thanks for the feedback, studiohead. and how do i get in touch with Singapore Fountain Pen Lovers? is there a website or shop?

Facebook group. Singapore Fountain Pen Lovers

There is the Yahoo Group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/singaporefp

which doesn't get that much traffic and the Forums for classifieds (http://www.sgfountainpens.com)

From The Sunny Island of Singapore

Straits Pen Distributors and Dealers of Craft Rinkul, JB Perfect Pen Flush, Ohto Japan, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot Pen, Private Reserve Inks, Schrade Tactical Pens, Smith & Wesson Pens, Noodler's Ink LLC Pens, TWSBI Inc and Waterman in Singapore

Disclosure: I do nib work for others and am affiliated with those which do. I also sell and represent certain brands of pens.