"care And Feeding" Of Nakaya And Danitrio Pens

Simius

Against my better judgment, I recently acquired a Nakaya and a Danitrio pen. The pens themselves are gorgeous, even more so than I had imagined. They write very well too.

The problem is that they look too delicate to be used like regular pens. I use rather than collect pens. While I take good care of them, the pens occasionally take an inevitable knock or two, especially when traveling.

So, here's my question: for those who have Nakayas and/or Danitrios, do you take your pens around for regular use? How well have they worn over time? Anything specific to look out for? (Well, that's three questions, I guess.)

Thanks...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Simius

• hari317

• RLD

• JLS1

Top Posters In This Topic

"Against your better judgment"? I think you have very good judgment and excellent taste!

In my experience urushi lacquer pens are every bit as robust as pens made from plastic and in particular are more shatter-resistant as compared to certain pens made of "precious resin" (which is basically also a plastic).

Pretty much any pen if dropped from a height onto a hard floor can crack, with the exception of pens made of metal. More of a concern to me are scratches, and urushi is quite hard and scratch resistant.

Nihon no urushi ga hitsuyo de!

My nakaya is my daily user. It lives in it's little pouch in my bag. I take it out - use it (keeping the cap close at hand) and then put it back in its little kimono.

Admittedly I baby it far more than any of the other and panic if it hits the table hard, but I really don't worry about it. I bought it to use it, and I refuse to let it stop me. However, if I had one of the 10k ones maybe i'd think differently. :)

I can't speak for Danitrio (love to have one of these) but my Nakaya Neo-Standard frequently gets a spot in the rotation. When it's on-board, I do take care of it, but I don't baby it any more than my other pens.

Beyond the usual hazards and dangers (i.e., falling down an elevator shaft), the only thing you need to watch out for with an urushi pen is UV light. Long exposure to UV light (including outdoor sunlight and indoor fluorescents) will accelerate the lightening of the colors in the urushi. I believe that it doesn't affect the durability of the urushi itself, only the color within it.

HTH!

My two Nakayas (both Neos, one heki and one aka tamenuri) have been my daily writers, and have been back and for to work with me almost every day, for the last couple of months. I carry them in a 2-pen leather case in my coat pocket. At work/home they kick around on the desk with all my other junk.

No signs of wear and tear whatsoever.

If/when they do pick up rubs, scratches, nicks, or whatever, I will welcome those imperfections as signs of good, honest use.

Beyond the usual hazards and dangers (i.e., falling down an elevator shaft), the only thing you need to watch out for with an urushi pen is UV light. Long exposure to UV light (including outdoor sunlight and indoor fluorescents) will accelerate the lightening of the colors in the urushi.

I don't think you need to worry about indoor fluorescent lightlng. The phosphor coating in the bulbs absorbs all of the UV quite efficiently. The amount of UV emitted by an intact fluorescent bulb over 8 hours is negligible, equivalent to what one receives in one minute from the sun. If the phosphor coating in a fluorescent bulb is cracked, however, the amount of emitted UV can be significant.

Bottomline: your pens will not be affected by indoor lighting, but you don't want to leave them out in the sun or store them by a window. As JLS1 pointed out, exposure to UV does affect urushi lacquer and will also lead to changes in color over time.

Nihon no urushi ga hitsuyo de!

So, here's my question: for those who have Nakayas and/or Danitrios, do you take your pens around for regular use? How well have they worn over time? Anything specific to look out for? (Well, that's three questions, I guess.)

Have two Nakaya, one Danitrio. One Nakaya is a long cigar, I only take it with me if I'm bringing one of my pen rolls. It's too long for any of my cases. It is set up as a deawing pen, so I'm happy to use it at my home desk.

The other Nakaya is a Naka-ai writer with clip. I do take some extra care with it, but am happy to carry it around secure and in soft places: shirt or jacket pocket, one of the two pen holders built into my computer case, or a pen case/roll.

The Danitrio is the Bat model, and is my most special and most expensive pen. When I do carry it, it is only in a full-length leather sleeve. I will put in my shirt pocket for short periods.

These are excellent writers or drawing pens, and I tend to use them fairly often. But I don't transport them unless I'm coniffdent I'm taking good care. I realize they will still get a ding now and then. But I do what I can to minimize the risk.

Ron Wodaski

<hr>

<a href='http://wodaski.com'>wodaski.com</a>

Urushi is tough, like used on armor tough. Doesn't mean you should mistreat them, but you shouldn't be afraid to use the pens either.

Against my better judgment, I recently acquired a Nakaya and a Danitrio pen. The pens themselves are gorgeous, even more so than I had imagined. They write very well too.

The problem is that they look too delicate to be used like regular pens. I use rather than collect pens. While I take good care of them, the pens occasionally take an inevitable knock or two, especially when traveling.

Thanks...

Hi, which Nakaya and which Danitrio?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Beyond the usual hazards and dangers (i.e., falling down an elevator shaft), the only thing you need to watch out for with an urushi pen is UV light. Long exposure to UV light (including outdoor sunlight and indoor fluorescents) will accelerate the lightening of the colors in the urushi.

I don't think you need to worry about indoor fluorescent lightlng. The phosphor coating in the bulbs absorbs all of the UV quite efficiently. The amount of UV emitted by an intact fluorescent bulb over 8 hours is negligible, equivalent to what one receives in one minute from the sun. If the phosphor coating in a fluorescent bulb is cracked, however, the amount of emitted UV can be significant.

Bottomline: your pens will not be affected by indoor lighting, but you don't want to leave them out in the sun or store them by a window. As JLS1 pointed out, exposure to UV does affect urushi lacquer and will also lead to changes in color over time.

Thanks RLD - I was always curious about urushi and fluorescent lighting. Much appreciated! :thumbup:

Thanks...

Hi, which Nakaya and which Danitrio?

Nakaya portable cigar aka temenuri and Danitrio Densho (polished - I understand there's also a matte version)

I have a few Dani Trio EDs and a celluloid Nakaya not urushi. I carry them around clipped to my pocket. Just take care that no sharp object nicks the pens. I find no deterioration. the Raw ebonite Danis tend to fade and oxidise, it is not preventible. happy penning!

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I have a couple of Nakayas that I use routinely in the office. Apart from an old Parker 75 ballpoint they're the only pens I use regularly at work. They travel in my pen roll and I rest them on it when they're not in use - mainly to prevent the one without a clip rolling about but also because I don't like them resting on the hard surface of the desk. Most of my other Nakayas and Danitrios occasionally get used in the office, but the two I mainly use have the most appropriate nibs for office use, so tend to be preferred. The only ones I won't use out of the house are my maki-e pens.

I'll also happily take them to external meetings and I just treat them with the kind of respect and general care that something of their value and beauty merits - for example I wouldn't slip them in my pocket with my car keys (!) - but I see them 100% as pens to be used, i'm just 'careful' with them.

I'd say that these urushi pens have stood up to this kind of use far better than a plastic pen would have done and after three or four years still show virtually no signs of damage. There are a few very faint micro-scratches that I can see under a magnifier but otherwise they're pretty much as I bought them.

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

Interesting that. I am still trying to make my mind up about my long piccolo, it does have a certain 'something' that my others do not have but whether it has me 'head over heels' I just cannot commit to.

fpn_1367875603__black_nak1_11sizecomp.jp

I have a couple of Nakayas that I use routinely in the office. Apart from an old Parker 75 ballpoint they're the only pens I use regularly at work. They travel in my pen roll and I rest them on it when they're not in use - mainly to prevent the one without a clip rolling about but also because I don't like them resting on the hard surface of the desk. Most of my other Nakayas and Danitrios occasionally get used in the office, but the two I mainly use have the most appropriate nibs for office use, so tend to be preferred. The only ones I won't use out of the house are my maki-e pens.

I'll also happily take them to external meetings and I just treat them with the kind of respect and general care that something of their value and beauty merits - for example I wouldn't slip them in my pocket with my car keys (!) - but I see them 100% as pens to be used, i'm just 'careful' with them.

I'd say that these urushi pens have stood up to this kind of use far better than a plastic pen would have done and after three or four years still show virtually no signs of damage. There are a few very faint micro-scratches that I can see under a magnifier but otherwise they're pretty much as I bought them.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

By coincidence the Nakayas I'm using most are Long Piccolos. I really like them.

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

The Raw ebonite Danis tend to fade and oxidise, it is not preventible.

I had heard about the oxidization of raw ebonite, but had assumed that any notion of perceptible change of color was simply some sort of urban legend. How quickly does color change (to some sort of green, I assume)? Within a couple of years, five+ years, or eventually?

The Raw ebonite Danis tend to fade and oxidise, it is not preventible.

I had heard about the oxidization of raw ebonite, but had assumed that any notion of perceptible change of color was simply some sort of urban legend. How quickly does color change (to some sort of green, I assume)? Within a couple of years, five+ years, or eventually?

Oxidation of uncoated BHR is a reality unfortunately. I had a 6 yr old IIRC Raw Densho that had some what faded on the cap top and the body. I have a new Sho Genkai, lets see how that holds up. use the pens don't worry.

I thought that the gradual changing of urushi color--specifically, like the green in heki-tamenuri becoming more noticeable over time--was both natural and desirable. Is that not so?

thanks,

eo

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

The important thing is not to stop questioning. --Albert Einstein

Very good judgment !

Just carry them in a leather pen case. I do it with all my pens.