What do you think is the worst pen Parker made ?

goodguy

While I suspect I'll get flamed, I opt for the 61 based on the fact that the plastic has a greater tendency to crack (compared to a 51, for instance) and it is tough to clean and change ink colors.

As a P61 lover, in a way I have to agree with you. I love the nibs & feel of the pen, but am very saddened by the fragility of the shell. However.. it does last longer than the Vector - which I seem to wear out in six months.

Regards

Richard.

I also really like my 61. Just don't expect to do a lot of ink changing! (if it's a capillary)

Mine is a flighter, so plastic cracking isn't an issue.

Also, I have to share how I got this pen...An 8th grade student of mine came into my office and said "I know you like pens. Well, I volunteer at the Salvation Army and found these. I thought you might like them."

He then handed me a couple of conical nibbed Sheaffers, a very broken Sheaffer Jr. (which I repaired), and a 61 flighter in box! :D

As far as bad Parkers go, I have yet to encounter one.

WANTED:

Delta Indios (FP or BP)

Delta Inuit (FP or BP)

Delta Don Quijote (BP or FP, green pref.)

other Delta Indigenous People

(M nibs or wider preferred)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• Richard

• Ernst Bitterman

• wvbeetlebug

I don't know if parker has a "worst pen" although I'm sure many of us could agree that Parker made some mistakes over the years, and many are to our benefit as collectors.

Here are a few examples:

The Mandarin yellow Duofold, George loved the colour and so do I! In the end though the colour did not sell well and they probably would have been much better off to go ahead and make another colour rather then yellow, what colour should that of been? Well in another life when I was a marketing man in the 20's I would have said a simple colour that wasn't as hard on the eyes, maybe a different shade of black, lol.

The T1 which I believe, (jump in and correct me if I'm wrong), Parker lost money on every one they sold. This wasn't only because they didn't rocket off the shelves but because the Titanium was so hard to work with it tood a great deal of time to produce the pens, and of course time is money.

Then the other fault in MY opinion was Parker making a much lesser pen in quality and preformance. This is seen with all of the major brands that I can think of, even Montblanc made cheap pens under there name, but I think it hurts the caché of the company when someone says "I've got this great Parker pen, it's a sight for the eyes!" and someone thinks "well a Vector isn't any great design miracle." That for a company that made the Duofold in the 20's, the Vacumatic in the 30's, the 51 in the 40's and so on, pens that many of us would/are truely proud to own!

Just one man's opinion...

Edited by penpalace

I love my Sonnet! Especially after Richard tweaked it.

Let face it any pen that went under Richards hand is a jewel,weather its a Sonnet or any other pen.

So true. This is why when I busted the nib on my newest 51 I sent it straight to him. I can't wait to get it back! :cloud9:

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

Re the 61- it's been a while since I added my initial comment. Let me go on record that I actually don't hate 61's, but it's weaknesses limit what I can do with it in a way that other pens don't. Parker has had pens that were commercial failures ie the red band or T-1, but they were generally more functional as pens.

Edited by jirish1957

What do you think is the worst pen Parker EVER made ?

Was is the T-1 ? I hope not I love this pen.

Maybe the Sonnet ? I hear so many bad things about its nibs.

The VP ? that had a very small success and produced 2 years only ?

Any others ?

Let me think what you think.

I have to go with the Slinger 11. I saw it here today and in my opinion, as far as style, there could be nothing worse.

How about the new Parker Contact? Ugh!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I vote for the Parker Inflection. I bought one about 3 weeks ago and I barely wrote with it. Everything is fine with this pen except the clip that is a total nightmare. The pen sticks out of my shirt pocket about an inch because of an odd plastic thing sticking under the metal clip.

I'm really angry I got this pen.

Samovar

Visit my food blog

Foodie Topography

In my view, the modern Parker 45. (not to be confused with the original)

Dodgy fitting cap and random nib performance on the ones I've played with.

- Mark

I'm crushed! I didn't think Parker ever made a 'worst' pen. Then, I have only experienced three; a 45 (circa 1968), an Arrow x-fine, and a 75 Premier.

I am thinking a 45 from 1968 would be classed as an original..... right?

Mike