What do you think is the worst pen Parker made ?

goodguy

Just throwing out a little more love for the Sonnet. My nib writes wonderfully - little scratchy to work in, but we get used to each other. More than anything else, it's the feel of the pen - the taper, the feel of the brushed stainless steel in the saddle of my hand between thumb and index finger. When I sought a second pen (after I temporarily lost my Sonnet) I realized it was this feeling in the hand more than anything else that I was trying to replicate.

There is a day

when the road neither

comes nor goes, and the way

is not a way but a place.

-Wendell Berry

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• Richard

• jirish1957

• Ernst Bitterman

I'm going to throw my support behind the Vector. I admit to getting it so I would have an FP I could beat the (bleep) out of like I did the drug-store Sheaffer cartridges I picked up on a whim at the local drug-store when I was a kid in the 1970s, but in the six months I've had it I find myself growing very fond of it. (bleep) plastic, yes. Funny stick-like silhouette, agreed. Rubberized grip... well, I think that answers the previous until it comes apart (good heavens! It does that?), but it writes well and doesn't puke its ink. It also doesn't mind having it's giant cartridge refilled with Pelikan black. It's not a good pen as such, but it's value for money.

(edit-- just fixing a plural vs possessive problem)

Edited by Ernst Bitterman

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

The worst Parker fp's ever made are in my opion the plastic Vectors. (the flighter Vectors are much better). These pens are not made to last. This was mainly due to poor quality plastic. The poor quality of this material material caused cracked and broken barrels and caps. This problem seems to be the same with Reflex fp's. The writing qualities and the quality of the nibs are ok. Hope that Parker will produce a all stainless steel version of the Reflex fp.

These pens are not made to last.

Oh, say instead they need more love. biggrin.gif But in honesty, yes, I don't expect to have mine in ten years. I still like it for the charms it has, and that crack in the cap isn't spreading TOO quickly.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

While I suspect I'll get flamed, I opt for the 61 based on the fact that the plastic has a greater tendency to crack (compared to a 51, for instance) and it is tough to clean and change ink colors.

QUOTE (14lines @ Apr 4 2007, 10:01 AM)
little scratchy to work in, but we get used to each other.

If a Sonnet feels scratchy to get going for you - it may not be performing at its best due to nib misalignment (?)

It may not be a bad idea to contact Sanford Parker about it as they offer lifetime warranty on Sonnets wink.gif

Hmm.. I just picked up a Sonnet tonight at one of my favorite pen stores in San Francisco (Stylo).

Its a beautiful pen that really seems to write well. (To me, other than the nib, it really reminds me of the look and class of the 51)

biggrin.gif

Science is a way of skeptically interrogating the universe with a fine understanding of human fallibility.

-Carl Sagan

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange_sm.pnghttp://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/PostcardExchange_sm.pnghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4f_4pakI/AAAAAAAAA14/_d-MITGtqvY/s320/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg

• 6 months later...
The Reflex, which is the first ever Parker pen that really screams 'cheap' to me. It's not the cheapest pen they've made, but it's the cheapest-seeming.

Ray

Say that again. And again. And again. That plastic IS the cheapest they've used though...

I see the 180 for sale here and there.

I have never read anyone sing their praises.

What's up with that?

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

What's up with that?

The 180 was an excellent pen, although idiosyncratic - a slim profile and a strange (though very functional and useful) double sided nib. You are right, we don't see a lot about them - which means they weren't a failure or we would!

No, the T-1 was the biggest boondoggle. No one cares if a cheap pen like the Vector is ropy, but the T-1 was expensive and it wasn't sorted out before it was released. Although they tried to solve the problems, they couldn't and quickly cancelled it. I'd call that a failure, and as pens are intended for writing and as the defects in the T-1 design compromised exactly that capability, I'd say it vies for Parker's biggest failure. I'll bet that cost them a few bucks.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

Hi,

Actuallly, a number of pens by Parker were know for plastic that is easily broken--61, 21, Reflex, and certain Vectors

The T1 is a looker, but not practical for writing--something that certainly goes against its purpose.

The Red Band--I cannot speak for that, but Richard has done his research, and he knows what he is talking about.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

What's up with that?

The 180 was an excellent pen, although idiosyncratic - a slim profile and a strange (though very functional and useful) double sided nib. You are right, we don't see a lot about them - which means they weren't a failure or we would!

. . .

I disagree with the logic... but OK!

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

My first fountain pen was a Reflex, but let's just say I was glad to move on to other things due to the drying out issue. Still not a bad pen overall, though -- the one I have is quite smooth. My father's has a broken cap, so I really should find him something nicer one of these days; I think he'd like a 45 or a cartridge 51 or 61 (as he likes my 51, but not ink bottles).

My vote has to go for the T-1, despite its elegance. I'd say the iridium having a propensity for coming off and being nigh impossible to reattach or replace is a black mark on any pen. As a collector I'd jump on a T-1 at a reasonable price, but my idea of a reasonable price might disagree with the market's.

my first parker has been a jotter. i liked writing with that pen, it was very smooth and somehow elastic, if you know what i mean. unfortunately the plastic part got some rips/cracks, because it was aging in a bad way (within one year). i got blue fingertips while using the pen.

parker changed it, that was no problem (about 15 years ago), real good service. but i lost confidance in jotter...

(by the way, this time i tried twice to contact the german sanford - they don't answer!)

the vectors have the same low price level, but i think they are much better. the most important part (apart from the nib) is made of metal and won't age like the jotter's. i use them ~ 15 years and never had a cracking cap, leaking nib, breaking clip or any other problem. (and there are metal ones in black and stainless steel for the ones who dislike plastic.) i don't understand why parker sanford decided to finish with the vector and go on with jotter!

someone who didn't understand that i'm fan of VECTORS gave me three frontiers as a present. i admit, they write very well. the nib has a nice classic look. the colours of the platic parts are nice and have unusual effects. but the outer shape has no spirit. cap and "back part" don't fit perfectly (kind of step between cap and rest). and the clip from one of the three cracked - but that was our fault, you can't expect a small non-massive filigree thing like a fountain pen to stand rude treatment.

greetings, yvonne

The T-1 thing has gotten me to thinking.

1. How much does a T-1 go for if it lost it's tipping?

2. How feasable would it be to regrind the titanium nib to say a tipless stub? I mean, titanium alloy is pretty hard stuff, perhaps not as hard as the ruthenium alloys in most tipped nibs, but a lot more durable than a 2xxx Esterbrook.

Just thinking (I know - it gets me in trouble).

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

The Reflex, which is the first ever Parker pen that really screams 'cheap' to me. It's not the cheapest pen they've made, but it's the cheapest-seeming.

Ray

Say that again. And again. And again. That plastic IS the cheapest they've used though...

I swear it is the same plastic used to make plastic toy soldiers (and the same quality of mold as well).

I love my Sonnet! Especially after Richard tweaked it.

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

While I suspect I'll get flamed, I opt for the 61 based on the fact that the plastic has a greater tendency to crack (compared to a 51, for instance) and it is tough to clean and change ink colors.

As a P61 lover, in a way I have to agree with you. I love the nibs & feel of the pen, but am very saddened by the fragility of the shell. However.. it does last longer than the Vector - which I seem to wear out in six months.

Regards

Richard.

I still have a Vector that I purchased about 1987 and it's still working just fine. The original ones had better plastic, I think they cheapened them up over time...

Sonnets are very enjoyable too. I have three, not a bad writer in the bunch. I will have to have a nib tweak eventually to make one of them into an XF, since having three mediums is kinda stoopid...

I don't really have a bad Parker...so, since I can't afford to buy a T-1, I am content with them getting the prize.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

I love my Sonnet! Especially after Richard tweaked it.

Let face it any pen that went under Richards hand is a jewel,weather its a Sonnet or any other pen.

Respect to all