• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pen2paper

• genine

• Shangas

• Lorna Reed

Really nice. How do you fit the blotting paper? :unsure:

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

Yes, it is a rocker blotter. This style also came as a rocking horse, scottie dog, and elephant.

There are metal clips which attach at the ends which hold the blotting paper in place.

gary

Can you use it for an ink not made by Sailor?

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Here is a similar blotter with a $30 BIN now on the bay and it has the clips in place if you'd like to see how they look.

I have seem replacement clips somewhere on line, I'd sure check Pendemonium for them, and I suspect one could

bend some facsimiles out of stout stainless steel wire.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Blot1.JPGBlot2.jpgBlot3.jpg

Very nice. Takes me back to when I was a kid and we used blotters in school to blot the ink dry when we were using our dip pens. I don't know where the parochial school got the blotters, but each had a picture of a famous painting and a blurb about it. I had totally forgotten.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Pendemonium does indeed have the clips for the glass rocker blotters - $5 a set! Here is the page: Rocker blotters and clips

I have a couple of wooden rocker blotters but would like to get one made of glass like the ones pen2paper and Bruce show in this thread. There is a cool one on eBay right now, a rocking horse made of depression glass; the $85 price is more than I can spend, though.

Here is my "regular" sized rocker blotter; it was probably made in the 1940's (just guessing): IMG_0907.JPG

And here is my mini-blotter; it is modern:

IMG_0912.JPG

They are fun things to have as well as being very useful!

Holly

The figural depression glass rocker blotters are a fun little collection. They were made by the Houze Glass Co and most, but not all are marked THEW on the side of the rocker. Once in awhile you find one with a small label for a seashore resort, these were popular and at the time and inexpensive souvenir items. To date I've seen the sailboat, elephant, pony and Scotty Dog. Most common colors are cobalt blue for the boat, black amethyst for the elephant, vaseline for the pony and jadeite for the dog. They all also were made in other depression glass colors, but are not so common. The rarest is probably a white milkglass elephant. A depression glass dealer once told me that he knew of poitical campaigns using the elephant and pony as giveaways for Republicans and Democrats, it could be a tall tale, but he was old enough to have been around during the Depression, so it may have some truth.

Watch for reproductions done in akro-agate style mottled multi colored deep hued glass, they seem to have thankfully disappeared from the marketplace in the past 10 years or so, but cropped up frequently into the 1990s. Also, Levenger made a couple of these that were pretty good looking repros except they glued the blotting paper to the base, no ridge for the blotter paper clips. Thankfully, that was short lived, too.

As has been discussed, the clips are frequently missing and we do make reproduction clips based on the original design.

Sam

Sam -Thanks for the correction on the manufacturer name - wish I could go back and edit out the incorrect Hazel Atlas info in the first post. Mine was incorrectly listed with Hazel Atlas sailboat items. But, then, that's how I found it : ) I was specifically looking for the sailboat.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know where I could find the pony rocker blotter? I JUST lost one on EBay that I was going to get for my grandmother. She had one as a school girl and I was hoping to find one and give as a gift

Thanks so much!

Genine

there is one, which is active under Buy It Now, so can't post direct link in the forum per rules. (no association to the seller, yadda yadda, simply answering your inquiry).

look under:

Glass Ink Blotter

or,

Collectibles > Pen & Writing Instruments > Pen Accessories > Other

Thank you!

It's bit out of my price ranges, plus the same one was on ebay last week for $25 :)

The search continues.

Thank you again!

Genine

• 2 years later...

Pendemonium does indeed have the clips for the glass rocker blotters - $5 a set! Here is the page: Rocker blotters and clips

I have a couple of wooden rocker blotters but would like to get one made of glass like the ones pen2paper and Bruce show in this thread. There is a cool one on eBay right now, a rocking horse made of depression glass; the $85 price is more than I can spend, though.

Here is my "regular" sized rocker blotter; it was probably made in the 1940's (just guessing): IMG_0907.JPG

And here is my mini-blotter; it is modern:

IMG_0912.JPG

They are fun things to have as well as being very useful!

Holly

That mini blotter is really cute. Is it still manufactured?

• 1 month later...

I got a clipless one in lurid red and purple plastic. From the Fifties, I suspect. The rocker piece slides between rims on the top and holds the paper on.