A Great Pen for $50-$90

ChickenGod

Hello all! What pen should I buy that is in the price range between $50-$90? This will be my only pen. I would like a medium sized nib because that is how big I usually write. I was thinking about the Cross Century II Fountain Pen, but then someone told me about the Parker "51". Which one should I get? I am open to suggestions! Thanks everyone!

-ChickenGod

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ChickenGod

• alvarez57

• Srehman

• rroossinck

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are also some more good choices in your price range, such as a Pelikan M200, other vintage pens and moderns as well. Check out some of the other postings around for idea.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Parker 51 is a great choice much better than the Cross Century.

Two more ideas are a Sheaffer Targa and a Pelikan M200.

Respect to all

Why is the Cross Century bad? I was just overwhelmed by the beauty of it.. :P. Where can I get the Parker "51"? I have looked at lots of places but can't find it. I don't trust eBay... So don't recommend that site to me... I think I've heard that the "51" has been discontinued for a long time :P. I heard also that the new Parker "51" is the Parker 100. Am I correct?

If you dont trust ebay try the Marketplace here on FPN.I believe there are few for sale.

The Cross century is a nice pen simply I personly think the other pens I mentioned are much better.

One more thought is a Parker 75,with some luck you can get one for less than 90$.

Respect to all

Hello all! What pen should I buy that is in the price range between $50-$90? This will be my only pen. I would like a medium sized nib because that is how big I usually write. I was thinking about the Cross Century II Fountain Pen, but then someone told me about the Parker "51". Which one should I get? I am open to suggestions! Thanks everyone!

-ChickenGod

Good luck with that.

Pearl's Blog: A Journey in Patience: Feline DIabetes

Feline Diabetes is a treatable condition.

<a href="http://www.felinediabetes.com" target="_blank">http://www.felinediabetes.com</a>

I knoww... I hope I don't get sucked into Fountain Pens :P

Oh and what is the difference between a vac-fill and aerometric fill? I might get the Parker "51", but I might get something that is easier to find...

Edited by ChickenGod

Why is the Cross Century bad? I was just overwhelmed by the beauty of it.

Are you buying a pen to write with, or a pen to look at? If you want a good writer, there is none better than the "51". if you are only ever going to have one pen, then you'll need one that won't break, won't suffer the inevitable eventual pitting of its steel nib or the relatively rapid wearing through of its gold plating, and won't wear out. That's an aerometric "51". (It has a gold nib, not steel, and the plating on a chrome-plated clip is likely to last longer than you do.)

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/51_slender.jpg

Sucked in? If you actually care about writing well, easily, and comfortably, you won't be able to NOT get sucked in.

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

I would urge you to take a look at Richard Binder's website.

www.richardspens.com

Search for the Parker 51 profile and read it. It gives an excellent background as to what made it such a great pen, and why it's still one of the very best available today, even if it is 50 years old.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

Hehe, that is the Parker "51" Aeromatic with a Lustraroy cap? I might get a Parker "51" after all the good reviews on here :).

Oh my gosh! I already read Richard's site! I'm chatting with Richard!!! Kinda.. :P

Edited by ChickenGod

Gasp!!!! :P

Which one is better vacumatic or aeromatic? The vacumatic looks easier...

Edited by ChickenGod

If you're only going to have one pen, I would make sure it's a good fit for your hand. I have to agree that the "51" is an excellent choice, and as much as I like it, it's not everyone's cup of tea. Good luck!

If you're near a decent stationer or a Paradise Pen, go there and spend a little time determining what'll fit best in your hand. There are plenty of options under your $90 cap that would work.

Although coming back to the 51 thing...I'm a big guy, with a big hand, and I'm quite comfortable writing all day with a 51.

Oh and I also don't like buying new items... I don't know... It just feels weird for me... There isn't any chance that I can get a Parker "51" unused is there? :P

No. The 51 went out of production in the early 70s. You won't find any 51s there, unless they're the 51 Special Edition from the early 2000's. The pen was much higher in price, and in the opinion of most...much lower in quality.

Want a 51? Look in the Marketplace. You'll trip over them.

I'm going out on a limb here after reading the other posts, but....

I LOVE MY CROSS!

I've had a Century II for several years and I just have to say that it's probably my favorite pen. It never leaks, writes beautifully and always at the first stroke, and the nib is probably the smoothest that I have.

I'm comparing this with several other pens that I have including the Pelikan 200; Waterman Carene; the Waterman Charleston; and Aurora Ipsilon; and others....

Hope I don't get hung out to dry for admitting this! ;)

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!