The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

A Great Pen for $50-$90

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#1 ChickenGod

ChickenGod

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:36

Hello all! What pen should I buy that is in the price range between $50-$90? This will be my only pen. I would like a medium sized nib because that is how big I usually write. I was thinking about the Cross Century II Fountain Pen, but then someone told me about the Parker "51". Which one should I get? I am open to suggestions! Thanks everyone!

-ChickenGod

Sponsored Content

#2 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:39

There are also some more good choices in your price range, such as a Pelikan M200, other vintage pens and moderns as well. Check out some of the other postings around for idea.
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#3 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:41

Parker 51 is a great choice much better than the Cross Century.
Two more ideas are a Sheaffer Targa and a Pelikan M200.
Respect to all

#4 ChickenGod

ChickenGod

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:43

Why is the Cross Century bad? I was just overwhelmed by the beauty of it.. tongue.gif. Where can I get the Parker "51"? I have looked at lots of places but can't find it. I don't trust eBay... So don't recommend that site to me... I think I've heard that the "51" has been discontinued for a long time tongue.gif. I heard also that the new Parker "51" is the Parker 100. Am I correct?

#5 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:47

If you dont trust ebay try the Marketplace here on FPN.I believe there are few for sale.
The Cross century is a nice pen simply I personly think the other pens I mentioned are much better.

One more thought is a Parker 75,with some luck you can get one for less than 90$.
Respect to all

#6 chupie

chupie

He's a grand, ungodly, god-like man, Captain Ahab.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:50

QUOTE(ChickenGod @ Feb 1 2007, 08:36 PM)
Hello all! What pen should I buy that is in the price range between $50-$90? This will be my only pen. I would like a medium sized nib because that is how big I usually write. I was thinking about the Cross Century II Fountain Pen, but then someone told me about the Parker "51". Which one should I get? I am open to suggestions! Thanks everyone!

-ChickenGod

Good luck with that.
Pearl's Blog: A Journey in Patience: Feline DIabetes

Feline Diabetes is a treatable condition.
http://www.felinediabetes.com

#7 ChickenGod

ChickenGod

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:53

I knoww... I hope I don't get sucked into Fountain Pens tongue.gif

Oh and what is the difference between a vac-fill and aerometric fill? I might get the Parker "51", but I might get something that is easier to find...

Edited by ChickenGod, 02 February 2007 - 02:56.

#8 Richard

Richard

WWII Warbird Fan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:00

QUOTE(ChickenGod @ Feb 1 2007, 09:43 PM)
Why is the Cross Century bad? I was just overwhelmed by the beauty of it.

Are you buying a pen to write with, or a pen to look at? If you want a good writer, there is none better than the "51". if you are only ever going to have one pen, then you'll need one that won't break, won't suffer the inevitable eventual pitting of its steel nib or the relatively rapid wearing through of its gold plating, and won't wear out. That's an aerometric "51". (It has a gold nib, not steel, and the plating on a chrome-plated clip is likely to last longer than you do.)

Sucked in? If you actually care about writing well, easily, and comfortably, you won't be able to NOT get sucked in.
Click to send email: richard@richardspens.com
Posted Image

#9 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,683 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:02

I would urge you to take a look at Richard Binder's website.

www.richardspens.com

Search for the Parker 51 profile and read it. It gives an excellent background as to what made it such a great pen, and why it's still one of the very best available today, even if it is 50 years old.

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

#10 ChickenGod

ChickenGod

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:03

Hehe, that is the Parker "51" Aeromatic with a Lustraroy cap? I might get a Parker "51" after all the good reviews on here smile.gif.

Oh my gosh! I already read Richard's site! I'm chatting with Richard!!! Kinda.. tongue.gif

Edited by ChickenGod, 02 February 2007 - 03:03.

#11 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,683 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:03

FYI - That's Richard, just above my post.

#12 ChickenGod

ChickenGod

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:04

Gasp!!!! tongue.gif

Which one is better vacumatic or aeromatic? The vacumatic looks easier...

Edited by ChickenGod, 02 February 2007 - 03:10.

#13 Cloud

Cloud

We like pens!

• Member - Gold

• 1,043 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:08

Lamy 2000
Commit to be fit
ClaudeP.com

#14 JRodriguez

JRodriguez

Anthropologist at large

• Member - Gold

• 1,245 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:09

If you're only going to have one pen, I would make sure it's a good fit for your hand. I have to agree that the "51" is an excellent choice, and as much as I like it, it's not everyone's cup of tea. Good luck!

#15 ChickenGod

ChickenGod

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:13

What size nib does it have?

#16 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,683 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:15

If you're near a decent stationer or a Paradise Pen, go there and spend a little time determining what'll fit best in your hand. There are plenty of options under your $90 cap that would work.

Although coming back to the 51 thing...I'm a big guy, with a big hand, and I'm quite comfortable writing all day with a 51.

#17 ChickenGod

ChickenGod

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:19

Oh and I also don't like buying new items... I don't know... It just feels weird for me... There isn't any chance that I can get a Parker "51" unused is there? tongue.gif

#18 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,683 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:21

No. The 51 went out of production in the early 70s. You won't find any 51s there, unless they're the 51 Special Edition from the early 2000's. The pen was much higher in price, and in the opinion of most...much lower in quality.

Want a 51? Look in the Marketplace. You'll trip over them.

#19 ChickenGod

ChickenGod

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:29

It's stupid how good things become discontinued...

#20 Shannon

Shannon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:49

I'm going out on a limb here after reading the other posts, but....

I LOVE MY CROSS!

I've had a Century II for several years and I just have to say that it's probably my favorite pen. It never leaks, writes beautifully and always at the first stroke, and the nib is probably the smoothest that I have.

I'm comparing this with several other pens that I have including the Pelikan 200; Waterman Carene; the Waterman Charleston; and Aurora Ipsilon; and others....

Hope I don't get hung out to dry for admitting this! wink.gif

Ink samples to trade:   Blackstone Blue, Chesterfield  Antique Crimson, Chesterfield  Antique Jade, Chesterfield  Antique Orchid, Chesterfield  Antique Raspberry, Chesterfield  Antique Raven, Chesterfield  Antique Walnut, Chesterfield  Antique Yankee, Chesterfield  Night Sapphire, Cross Blue, Diamine Ancient Copper, Diamine Bilberry, Diamine Blue Black, Diamine Damson, Diamine Indigo, Diamine Oxblood, Diamine Purple Pazzazz, Edelstein Amber, J. Herbin Emerald de Chivor, J. Herbin Lie de The, J. Herbin Rouge Hematite, J. Herbin Storm Grey, Levenger Always Greener, Levenger Amethyst, Levenger Blue Bahama, Levenger Cardinal Red, Levenger Cobalt Blue, Levenger Cocoa, Levenger Fireball, Levenger Gemstone Green, Levenger Pinkly, Levenger Raven Black, Levenger Skies of Blue, Levenger Smokey, Montblanc Black  , Montblanc Montblanc for BMW, Noodler's Bay State Blue, Parker Quink, Pilot Blue, Sailor  Souten, Sailor  Waka-Uguisu

Looking for: surprise me!

Sponsored Content

|