The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Ebay Prices - Climbing?

ebay pricing

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 WayTooManyHobbies

WayTooManyHobbies

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:51

Greetings, all, and welcome back!

It's been a long week with FPN up and down, and probably like many I've been missing my on-line fountain pen fix.  As a result, I've been browsing on Ebay a bit more than usual of late.  One thing seems to stand out - I think Ebay pricing has increased significantly in the past 2 weeks or so.  Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me? 

Sponsored Content

#2 VillersCotterets

VillersCotterets

18782 (いやなやつ)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:55

Not for the last two weeks, but for the all the last year. Prices are going up a lot for some vintage pens.

#3 JLS1

JLS1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:06

I concur - I've been involved in a lot of eBay auctions for vintage German pens (mostly MBs, some Soenneckens and Gehas) and have consistently come up short as I'm not willing to remortgage my house for the prices that some of these went for. :(

#4 Joker4Eva

Joker4Eva

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:54

I think it's just part of a short-term, upward swing. Prices usually go up a lot before the holiday seasons, then cool down a little during those holidays. After that, it slowly picks up again. 

That said, I think it's now a great time to be a seller, and try to clean up those pens that hardly make it into your rotation!  :D

#5 OldGriz

OldGriz

I Assimilated The Borg

• Remembered Fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2013 - 13:24

It is a case of market demand .... happens in all industries and hobbies...

Remember that vintage pens are a limited item and they are getting more uncommon as the demand continues

TomPosted Image
A veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

#6 nicholasyeo

nicholasyeo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2013 - 13:44

At some point, the prices become inflated as people start to speculate and attempt to earn money off rare things...

Just like tulips right? Trick is to buy when the items are cheap. :unsure:

#7 dspeers58

dspeers58

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2013 - 15:55

I would agree.  Pens seems to be going significantly higher on ebay than there were last fall or summer.Seems that since the beginning of the year, prices have been high.

#8 tbickiii

tbickiii

tbickiii

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:12

I would agree.  I have kept extensive records over the years on my ebay sales.  So I decided to do a comparison of average sale price in CY2010 to CY2012.  I did so for the following models of which I sold at least 15 items during the year and I factored out special items like stubs and mint conditions (there were more comparisons but I stopped at the ones below).  Pretty good increases in price...

Parker Vac 51 GF Cap, Black--2010:  $99.34; 2012:  $157.10

Parker Vac Major Blue Striped--2010:  $80.03; 2012:  $136.57

Parker Duofold Big Red--2010:  $219.6; 2012:  $263.71

Sheaffer PFM III, Black--2010:  $174.24; 2012:  $262.93

Sheaffer Oversise Lifetime Black--$2010:  128.60; 2012:  $201.05

Sheaffer Snorkel Sentinel (all REGULAR colors)--2010:  $73.48; 2012:  $133.35 (this one just seems way out of whack)

Thomas
Baton Rouge, LA
(tbickiii)

Check out my ebay pen listings
:
  tbickiii's Vintage Fountain Pens

#9 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:21

Thomas you've indicated to me I think that you are seeing less vintage pens found.

Your avatar pic is something else. Very nice.

I've got a few Imperial CI's that Wish they were that pen.  ;)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

#10 heymatthew

heymatthew

"All your base are belong to us."

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:31

I might be wrong, but as a long-time eBay user (buyer and seller), it seems it might be due to the seller fees going up. PayPal fees are higher, final value added fees and eBay seller fees are higher and shipping prices are significantly higher. A lot of sellers will offer "free shipping" but in reality they're bumping up the cost of the item to offset the increase in shipping.

For the last 2 years, I've been shipping some stuff to a friend in Australia. He buys stuff from eBay, sends it to me and I repackage it in flat rate boxes. The Large Priority Flat Rate Box was around $65. This week, I tried to print some postage for him and the price is up to $78 per box. That's almost a 25% increase. If I were selling him stuff and having to ship the items out of pocket (rather than him paying for all the shipping), I'd pass the cost on to the buyer.

Also, pens made 50, 60 or 70 years ago are older and older. Parts are rarer. As they break and are beyond repair, those that are left in good, working condition are increasingly more expensive because they're rare. Add the rarity to the rising cost of doing business in general, and we buyers are absorbing the added cost.

Edited by heymatthew, 07 May 2013 - 02:32.

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

#11 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 18,026 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:56

I can't say from past years, but some prices have gone up and I think others not so much (or may have even come down).  I got a Plum 51 Aerometric about a month ago and for under *my* maximum bid (even with shipping it was less) -- and quite a bid less than the last one I saw auctioned off (and Farmersmum did even better than me on (by a whole lot) on one that was mis-identified by the seller as being black); OTOH, I was completely blown away by some of the final bids on Esterbrooks the last few days, whereas just a few weeks ago I could (and did) get fairly decent (although unrestored) ones for roughly $10 -- and in a few cases I was the *only* bidder.

I've seen prices that seemed completely out of whack and I've seen pens go for a LOT more than I paid for what was, IMO, a better pen.  I still haven't figured out what makes X pen go for more than Y pen, and I have  feeling that I might never figure it out.  YMMV

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#12 kkshadow

kkshadow

We are all the same.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:06

Prices way up from a few years ago.  $50  bump or more is not unusual for a 1st tier pen, and that's a lot more than ebay fee increase.Glad I overbought when I did!  As Joker4Eva said, time for me to gather up the lesser used children and offer them up to new homes. 

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

Posted Image

#13 aschup

aschup

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:17

I would agree.  I have kept extensive records over the years on my ebay sales.  So I decided to do a comparison of average sale price in CY2010 to CY2012.  I did so for the following models of which I sold at least 15 items during the year and I factored out special items like stubs and mint conditions (there were more comparisons but I stopped at the ones below).  Pretty good increases in price...

Parker Vac 51 GF Cap, Black--2010:  $99.34; 2012:  $157.10

Parker Vac Major Blue Striped--2010:  $80.03; 2012:  $136.57

Parker Duofold Big Red--2010:  $219.6; 2012:  $263.71

Sheaffer PFM III, Black--2010:  $174.24; 2012:  $262.93

Sheaffer Oversise Lifetime Black--$2010:  128.60; 2012:  $201.05

Sheaffer Snorkel Sentinel (all REGULAR colors)--2010:  $73.48; 2012:  $133.35 (this one just seems way out of whack)

Thanks for this.  It's nice to see some actual data to back up the speculation.

#14 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2013 - 20:57

Rare items get rarer and more expensive through the years that is life.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#15 Simius

Simius

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 00:25

Rare items get rarer and more expensive through the years that is life.

I can understand the price spiral for rare items. But the climb seems to be occurring for modern pens as well. Or, to put it more precisely, it's getting increasingly difficult to get good prices from auctions held by reliable sellers.

I had been trying for a while this year to snag a Pilot 845. After several failed attempts, I bought one from Rakuten. I don't know how things stack up now, but around March-April you could get better prices from Rakuten (or even from Amazon.co.jp) than from, say, engeika's auctions. I just looked up Engeika and found that an 845 auction ended at USD 400 on Sunday. You can get better "buy it now" prices at Rakuten.  Some sort of Irrational exuberance?

Edited by Simius, 08 May 2013 - 00:25.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ebay, pricing

Sponsored Content

|