Sheaffer Snorkel Valiant Vs Statesman Differences?

Chrissy

Sorry but I'm not a regular Sheaffer user, so I need assistance finding out which snorkel pen I have.

I have done a Google search and looked at pictures but I still can't tell the difference between a Sheaffer Valiant and a Statesman

Here is the pen:

fpn_1367137896__20130427_0003a.jpg

Please can you advise if it's a Valiant or a Statesman?

Edited by Chrissy

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• terim

• 3rdlakerobert

• Chrissy

• corgicoupe

Will be watching this with interest Chrissy. I have developed a fondness for the Triumph conical nibs, and have crest which is quite a slim pen. Have looked online at the valiant statesman and tuckaway, as pens that are fatter, but i remain none the wiser about which to buy.

It's a Statesman :) The difference between the Valiant and the Statesman is that the Valiant has a two-tone gold Triumph nib, and the Statesman has a palladium silver (PgAg) Triumph nib (which are either marked or unmarked, but they're still PdAg. I believe the ones that are marked "Palladium Silver" have a high silver content that those not marked)

And looks in good condition as well. Sheaffer names can be hard as they used the same names for many years and on quite different pens ( just to make live easy !!). Your model Statesman is the only one to have a triumph nib, all it's predecessors carried open nibs, so that's today's useless bit of info..

It's a Statesman :) The difference between the Valiant and the Statesman is that the Valiant has a two-tone gold Triumph nib, and the Statesman has a palladium silver (PgAg) Triumph nib (which are either marked or unmarked, but they're still PdAg. I believe the ones that are marked "Palladium Silver" have a high silver content that those not marked)

Agree that this appears to be a Statesman model Snorkel. It seems like Sheaffer had a name for every possible configuration, open nib, Triumph nib, PdAg Triumph nib, Two Tone Triumph nib, plastic cap, metal cap, White Dot, no White Dot, -- it's a wonder that anyone can keep the model names straight.

I love the look and feel of the Sheaffer Triumph (wrap around or conical) nib, writes stiff like a nail with no flex or springiness but are darned attractive looking and are wonderful writers.

Excellent reading on Sheaffer's Snorkel can be found on the Richard's Pens and Pen Hero websites.

Enjoy your Statesman!

Regards,

Rick

Life Is Not A Rehearsal.

Our Pen Club: http://londonpenclub.com

Our Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/254419004945988/

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

Interesting topic. I have found two Snorkels in the wild now, and both have turned out to be Valiants (they have the two-toned nib). The one I posted photos of a couple of months ago is gray; the new one, which I've only had for just over a week, is black.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

very nice pen :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 8 months later...

Thanks, I'm glad you are finding it useful. I need to update it to add the fat TD models, and clarify some of the cap band sizes.

TERI

Edited by terim

• 2 years later...

Here's a periwinkle Statesman set .... just so you can see a hard to find color.

[edited to remove photo]

Teri, your posts are always so accurate, I'm a little taken aback. Could it be there's really a two-tone nib under that periwinkle cap? I ask because according to Sam Marshall's Summer 2002 Pennant article, Periwinkle Snorks came with two-tone nibs only. That means your pictured periwinkle pen must be a Valiant not a Statesman.

Edited by Robert111

[edited to remove photo]

Teri, your posts are always so accurate, I'm a little taken aback. Could it be there's really a two-tone nib under that periwinkle cap? I ask because according to Sam Marshall's Summer 2002 Pennant article, Periwinkle Snorks came with two-tone nibs only. That means your pictured periwinkle pen must be a Valiant not a Statesman.

The only difference between a valiant and statesman is the nib (statesman with a PdAg triumph nib and the Valliant with a 14k two tone triumph nib).

Meaning if we take a valiant and replace the gold nib with a PdAg nib then the pen will be a statesman, now I am not suggesting thats what happened to Teri's pen, I am just trying to explain the names.

Best regards.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

There is no such thing as a periwinkle Snorkel Statesman. It's a periwinkle Snorkel Valiant with a replacement PdAg nib.

There is no such thing as a periwinkle Snorkel Statesman. It's a periwinkle Snorkel Valiant with a replacement PdAg nib.

All the material supports this and my personal observations are in line with that. Still Sheaffer had a long history of producing uncatalogued pens so I don't think it can be completely ruled as non factory production. Still in this case I think that fairly unlikely and a nib change at some point most likely. I'd be inclined to install a 2 tone nib in this pen to bring it in line with known Sheaffer production. The other Periwinkle model was the Sentinel Deluxe.

IMG_1744.JPG

This is how it came to us from the wild ..... I guess it could have had the nib replaced. But it didn't happen in our shop, and the pen looked very fresh.

As Happy Harry says, Sheaffer made a number of pens that didn't conform to their catalog descriptions. I would just say this: your pen doesn't conform to the Sheaffer catalog offerings. Maybe it's an "off catalog" pen or maybe it's a pen with a replacement section. My point is simply that it's not just a simple Periwinkle Snorkel Statesman.

As Happy Harry says, Sheaffer made a number of pens that didn't conform to their catalog descriptions. I would just say this: your pen doesn't conform to the Sheaffer catalog offerings. Maybe it's an "off catalog" pen or maybe it's a pen with a replacement section. My point is simply that it's not just a simple Periwinkle Snorkel Statesman.

But would it pass the more reasonable "Oh pretty, so neat; I want it!" test?

My Website

That's a fine way of explaining it, I'll be sure to add this additional explanation. Guessing has a way of transforming itself into "Information" without the proper annotation, and I know a lot of people refer to our web site.