• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chthulhu

• lovemy51

• Ted F

• seanb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Take a look also at this thread: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/219175-cross-century-rollerball-new-refill-wont-fit/

Apparently there was a change along the way somewhere and the "Selectip" refills won't fit the older rollerball pens.

This may be my problem. The pen that is too small (the tip of an ink cartridge will not fit into the hole at the business end) was given to me as a presentation upon the completion of a job. The cap is inscribed and with a date of 8/25/86. I am assuming that you can no longer get cartridges to fit. I'm surprised Cross would do this. 1986 isn't that long ago.

See if this helps. There are two variations on the current gel refill. The "slim" refill is manufactured for the new (Spring '13 release) of the Century Classic rollerballs, those with the screw on cap that posts by screwing onto the barrel. It it thinner than the original refills & comes in black and blue. The other Selectip refill is thicker and fits the original Century Classic rollerball/Selectip pens that were in production for years. They are made in blue, black, red and purple colors. The trick comes in when Cross redesigned the "Soft Tip Pen" and started calling it the Selectip. You can tell the difference by a slightly thinner diameter for the Selectip and a gold or chrome band on the gripping section. For some reason the gel refill is extremely smaller in length and does not engage the clutch mechanism as well on the older models usually causing the cap to not fit as snuly and may spin.

Finally, Cross also made a Century ReStage rolleball about 16 years ago that was sold in the non U.S. market and only available for a very short period. This one can be distinguished since it the size of the Century Classic BUT the cap fits over the barrel (not flush like the other Classic Centuries) and has a knurled gripping section similar to the Century II. Very hard to find, I have been looking for years and if anyone can point me in the direction of obtaining one I would be eternally grateful.

Hope this helps.

Lovemy51:

Below is a photo showing the two Cross rolling-ball pens side-by-side. The one on the left can use the Selectip cartridge; the one on the right requires a smaller rolling ball. Notice the right one: the metal tip is different (more tapered) and the hole is smaller. As I used the pen over the years I never noticed the difference and never looked at the refill. I threw the last one away years ago and kept using the one on the left.

attachicon.gifcross.2.jpg

thanx for the pix, ted. I do see a difference in their sections... do not know what to say or add to this, except this: if you don't mind "Franken-refilling" your Selectip, you can use a parker style BP refill with an extra tubing in the back -like we have been discussing here- and it might work. it works in my Selectip!!

PS: Sheaffer's BP works also, but with a spring on the tip, + the adapter tube in the back, of course.

I emailed Cross and asked them about the smaller tip on the older Century. I also sent them the photo of the two tips. They said in their response that that pen could use their "Porous Point Refill" or their "Jumbo Ball-Point Refill." They also mentioned that I could send in the pen for modification or replacement.

I just ran into this same problem.

I picked up a Cross refill from Staples, came home...it did not fit.

Went back and they tried another pack, still no fit.

So at least now I know why, next visit to the store I will pick up a Parker gel refil to try.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

As I mentioned in an earlier post Cross emailed me and said that their "Porous Point Refill" would work in the pen that has the small hole. I bought one earlier today at Vanness and it does fit and work. The information on the Cross package says "for Selectip Rolling Ball Pen Porous-Point Refill."

• 1 year later...

My Cross classic gold ballpoint needed servicing; the tip above the clip fell off. Sent in for repair and while waiting (was told it will take a month!), picked up the Cross Click. Decided that I did not like the gel pen and wanted to change it to a ballpoint. Using the info on this forum, I managed to hack a Parker ballpoint refill to work with the Cross Click. The Parker ballpoint refill can fit in the Cross Click, but is a tad short. I cut off a piece of a used Pilot G2 refill and placed it at the end of the Parker refill to make it fit. Had to pare it a couple of times to get the right length. I am very pleased with the Cross Click as a ballpoint pen with my simple modification :)

post-124500-0-84430100-1439522280_thumb.jpg

post-124500-0-03629000-1439549495_thumb.jpg

Edited by sulimc1962

That's good to know, thanks for sharing!

Ideally I would want a Pilot G-2 refill to fit in my Click and I've read that someone managed to do it, but they needed to hack the pen itself (drilling the pen's tip a little larger etc)

I am pretty positive that I lack such dexterity, so I think I will go for your approach and get a Parker style gel refill instead.

Hi inotrym,

Glad that my post is helpful. Here's a photo of the modification that shows more clearly the portion cut off from the G2 refill attached to the Parker refill. Cheers!

post-124500-0-70818300-1439546950_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a call today from the Cross agent. They need to send my gold classic to Hong Kong for repair and will only get it back in November (3 months' time)! Well, I am glad I modified the Click to work with a ballpoint because that's a long wait :)

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My Cross classic gold ballpoint needed servicing; the tip above the clip fell off. Sent in for repair and while waiting (was told it will take a month!), picked up the Cross Click. Decided that I did not like the gel pen and wanted to change it to a ballpoint. Using the info on this forum, I managed to hack a Parker ballpoint refill to work with the Cross Click. The Parker ballpoint refill can fit in the Cross Click, but is a tad short. I cut off a piece of a used Pilot G2 refill and placed it at the end of the Parker refill to make it fit. Had to pare it a couple of times to get the right length. I am very pleased with the Cross Click as a ballpoint pen with my simple modification :)

Hi,

The parker refill is too wide for my cross click .

It did not work for me!

Thank's

Edited by botto

any suggestion.?

Cross slim roller refill?

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~